1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

Yes, it's entirely possible with the stock module - I think that's what you're using right now?

It's one of the config lines within modulewheel, maybe impact tolerance? I forget! Post a config if in doubt, I'll point you in the right direction.

The breaking of the wheel, as in what you get when either the craft is too heavy or you run it too fast/brake too hard has something to do with the combination of the break speed and the impact/crash tolerance. I don't have the data right in front of me, but in my tests it really mattered very little what I did to the config because I always broke the wheels right off the bat with anything I used them on.

I wrote a MM config to make the ability to break any wheel (stock module) false and have never looked back. Since the way the stock wheels behave is so far from what you would expect in a real-world situation (lack of suspension, bounce due to air-filled tires, or the toughness of airless tires, and the difference between a locking brake and a friction brake which would allow slow-braking and thus no flipping) meant that an invincible wheel was entirely plausible. With lo-fi's reinvention of the wheel, however, I think a breaking wheel would be entirely doable and usable without too much of a frustration for the end user, as long as it took into consideration the pressure on the part that would be reduced by the number of wheels being used to support the craft and limited breaking based on that.

So yeah, that's that.

Update on the CollisionFX stuff. So, yeah... I noticed the scaling thing too and I'm not going to touch that just yet. Scaling based on speed would also be great. my NullReferenceExceptions continue at full speed, but I do have more information about them. While moving on a surface that can produce an effect, the nullrefs cease. It's only when I am currentlystationary on a surface that is able to produce effects, but is not producing (since there is no active scraping at the time) the dust. I also get nullrefs when moving on a surface that does not produce dust (such as the landscape objects that make up the KSC raised-platform landscape). Details of the log show that it is three functions which are simultaneously producing this exception: "ScrapeParticles", "Scrape", and "OnCollisionStay" which are all functions defined in CollisionFX.dll.

EDIT: Link removed, problem has been taken care of. Details below.

I'm not ready to give up yet, but I'm running into a brick wall with these nullrefs.

UPDATE: I did one more little edit locally and got it to spawn a smoky effect (totally not intentional, wasn't even editing that part) when traveling over the KSC raised-platform stuff. Unfortunately I'm still spammed by nullrefs. I have done everything I can think of to eliminate them, but despite reading countless articles about nullrefs and trying everything I can figure out that might have anything to do with it, nothing changes. Why can't errors be more useful? I'm poking around in the dark trying to find something that I don't even know what looks like with a tool that has no clear way of helping me find anything even if I could see it. It's completely and utterly insane!

Edited by Gaalidas

Yeah, that diffuse for the rover body is huge and will overwhelm the system very quickly. They're originally in TGA format, so easily editable. If you reduce it's size by half, it should be processable again. lo-fi will be updating the official distribution when he gets the chance.

In other news...

As many of you know, I am awesome. No really, I'm not just talking to hear my head rattle. It says so right here in my file: "subject is extremely awesome." So there you have it, proof positive of my awesomeness. Oh, you want more proof? Well, I did manage to completely, and (as far as I can tell) 100% fix the CollisionFX issue. How you ask? Well...

It goes something like this... I decided that trying to run the dust effects separately from the collision sparks within the same module was jsut too complicated to be worth it. So, I copied the relevant parts of the original code into a new part module that I called "DustFX" and re-named all the various functions to take into account this new name. It still runs within the namespace "CollisionFX" but has it's own module and does not share any information with the original module. This means we get dust, colored to match the biome and/or surface (the KSC raised platform meshes give off a generic white/gray dust while the ground around the KSC (the parts that are not raised and/or are part of the planetary mesh) gets a dirt-colored dust. There are no sound effects, but that is taken care of in the KF wheels themselves using an EFFECT node. I will look into re-implementing the sounds for impacts at a later time. Now I just want to spawn off a third class so that I can re-add the sparks to the specific parts that should cause sparks on certain materials such as the hypno-drive. That thing would definitely spark as you twist it over the concrete.

Testing will now be a major thing for me, and I need to revert my changes to the original class to eliminate the nullrefs it was producing and still produces right after any of the original sparks are played. Overall, however, this last attempt has been a success. Once I get a chance to take a KF-armed rover to Duna we'll see if the off-world dust will function and then I will start looking into how this stuff could be exported to a config file for easier color/biome definitions. I've never been all that great with putting together albums of screenshots, so you'll all just have to take my word for it that it's working.

UPDATE: Woohoo! I broke it again... then fixed it again. I'm on a roll.

Edited by Gaalidas
I was bored...

Any kind of memory management? Please post an output_log, I'll be able to tell you what's going wrong.

Good work, dude. Sounds like restructuring the fx plugin isn't a bad idea.

Edited by lo-fi

I just loving it!

I searched for good wheels so long, because I build many cars,tanks.....

But I have an issue with the small wheels. They just won't work. Big wheels and medium wheels work just fine, only the small wheels can't move the body. They turn, and the animation looks like it is moving but it isn't :c

Any help?

Thx :D

5tk7Rnu.png

This keeps happening every time I try to edit a wing.. Sometimes it would work, other times, it does this. Any way to get around this?

It seems to only happen on specific wings, and removing them does nothing.

Any kind of memory management? Please post an output_log, I'll be able to tell you what's going wrong.

It might be visual effects that just take memory up.

I'm getting closer to a way to scale the effects too... sorta. I can scale the dust emitter's strength settings, which seems to have the effect of scaling it's size down... sorta. I've also adjusted the alpha settings for the dust to make them less overpowering so even if they are over sized, at least they're more transparent. It's a work in progress. I am not too sure about exporting the biome/planet settings out to a config node, but I'm working on making the strength scale available as a field which means I could possibly make it scale with tweakscale as well.

I added the repulsors to the MM patch that adds the dust effect today as well. Gonna see if the effect is anything we might want. It's likely to be a bit weird though, so I'm not too hopeful that it'll work very well. It's also worth pointing out that the effects as they are only really make sense on the tracks. Wheels would likely produce a lot less dust on more solid materials, and likely not produce any such effect on extremely solid surfaces. I'm going to try and expose more of the effect options to field data so it can be tweaked on a per-part basis.

One graphical glitch I discovered is that when you switch from one material to the next (such as when going from the planet surface to the surface of the KSC landscape models) the dust effect as a whole switches it's color profile, rather than just the point of emittance changing. This means that the cloud, which is dissipating behind the rover, suddenly changes color. No clue how to fix that.

One graphical glitch I discovered is that when you switch from one material to the next (such as when going from the planet surface to the surface of the KSC landscape models) the dust effect as a whole switches it's color profile, rather than just the point of emittance changing. This means that the cloud, which is dissipating behind the rover, suddenly changes color. No clue how to fix that.

Is there anything on github or bitbucket to look at? A couple ideas come to my mind, but depending on how the emitters are written the ideas might be irrelevant and useless.

I just loving it!

I searched for good wheels so long, because I build many cars,tanks.....

But I have an issue with the small wheels. They just won't work. Big wheels and medium wheels work just fine, only the small wheels can't move the body. They turn, and the animation looks like it is moving but it isn't :c

Any help?

Thx :D

uhm... turning it upside down?? that brings up a subject i'd like to tell lo-fi.

@lo-fi: the rover wheels need some sort of indication what orintation they need to be. the rover wheels (i think they're called) i've placed upside down by mistake making the suspension go "up" and the wheels no longer touching the ground...

and my rovers in the jewel system...

yeah...

Is there anything on github or bitbucket to look at? A couple ideas come to my mind, but depending on how the emitters are written the ideas might be irrelevant and useless.

The GitHub stuff is out of date, but latest source is in the download for CollisionFX. Ideas always welcome! Thanks for open sourcing RBI, btw! You guys have inspired me to create a lot of crazy stuff.

uhm... turning it upside down?? that brings up a subject i'd like to tell lo-fi.

@lo-fi: the rover wheels need some sort of indication what orintation they need to be. the rover wheels (i think they're called) i've placed upside down by mistake making the suspension go "up" and the wheels no longer touching the ground...

and my rovers in the jewel system...

yeah...

One step ahead of you; all parts will have an orientation marker in the editor fairly soon :)

Indeed, if you have the wheels upside down they will not work. Press S once, having selected them to get the into the correct orientation. All parts start life in the editor with suspension compressed

I could put my current source file, for the new part module, based on CollisionFX (and packed in the same DLL/namespace), I called DustFX, up on dropbox if you want to mess around with it. Otherwise, the source file in the current distribution of CollisionFX (available on curse, I think, and KerbalStuff) is actually more recent than the one on Github, but the github version comes with a project file. Thankfully, even if you need to make a new project for it, it only uses the basic system references plus Assembly-CSharp.dll and UnityEngine.dll so it's really easy to hack together a project file for it.

A little update on my progress: I've successfully exported some of the particle strength variables to KSPField objects and have updated my local tweakscale file for KF with a new exponent entry which will allow for scaling the effect along with the wheel scale... in theory anyway. I am unsure if truely scaling the whole effect is possible. I'm just scaling the strength of the emitter. Testing is nonexistent at the moment. Did a little looking into makign a config node for biome/planetary-body settings for the dust and got about half-way through before my brain started to get fuzzy over all the details of exactly how the configuration data was being brought into the part module, and what the heck I was supposed to put in the config file to make it recognize the settings. I'm going to need to look at some more examples I guess.

http://i.imgur.com/5tk7Rnu.png

This keeps happening every time I try to edit a wing.. Sometimes it would work, other times, it does this. Any way to get around this?

It seems to only happen on specific wings, and removing them does nothing.

You got the wrong thread with that, but the B9 procedural wings have been updated to deal with that issue. Just download the new one.

You really need to fix the mod. I installed it and it crashes my game everytime I use it. Fix it please... :happy:

need MORE infomation a simple " fix your mod it makes my game crash" does not work.....

The GitHub stuff is out of date, but latest source is in the download for CollisionFX. Ideas always welcome! Thanks for open sourcing RBI, btw! You guys have inspired me to create a lot of crazy stuff.

Definitely looks and sounds like you've got Unity's physics bugs and KSP's "symmetry" more tamed than I had, and in a much cleaner way too. So happy to see the tracks are still around.

I could put my current source file, for the new part module, based on CollisionFX (and packed in the same DLL/namespace), I called DustFX, up on dropbox if you want to mess around with it. Otherwise, the source file in the current distribution of CollisionFX (available on curse, I think, and KerbalStuff) is actually more recent than the one on Github, but the github version comes with a project file. Thankfully, even if you need to make a new project for it, it only uses the basic system references plus Assembly-CSharp.dll and UnityEngine.dll so it's really easy to hack together a project file for it.

Took a look at CollisionFX on github (seems up to date to me) and sadly that's just how ParticleAnimators work, it applies to all particles of that emitter. I'll poke around it tomorrow, I've got the day mostly free.

You really need to fix the mod. I installed it and it crashes my game everytime I use it. Fix it please... :happy:

Please read the bug report instructions in the OP and try again; my magic KSP install fixing wand isn't working this week :P

need MORE infomation a simple " fix your mod it makes my game crash" does not work.....

Thank you!

Definitely looks and sounds like you've got Unity's physics bugs and KSP's "symmetry" more tamed than I had, and in a much cleaner way too. So happy to see the tracks are still around.

Took a look at CollisionFX on github (seems up to date to me) and sadly that's just how ParticleAnimators work, it applies to all particles of that emitter. I'll poke around it tomorrow, I've got the day mostly free.

Cheers dude :) My mistake, looks like the V2.2 was added recently!

It may seem up to date, but I compared the source and there's a lot of mis-matched stuff that doesn't cover the features we get from the release. That being said, it's possible hhe updated his github copy in the last day or two, which could explain things.

The reason I offered my source file is that I spawned a completely new module from the original file to cover only the dust effected and not the collision effects from the rest of the mod. But either way, it's the same particles that are being spawned.

EDIT: So, I looked at the update he made a day ago and it looks like it just updates the source to match what was in his release package. There are a few minor differences that don't actually make any difference in the way it works.

Here's a link to my additional source file which includes all my changes to allow for only the dust and none of the other fluff. It's completely stable at this time, I think.

Edited by Gaalidas

Right guys, I'm taking a step back for the foreseeable future. The beta is working and nothing pressing appears to be broken or need urgent attention. It's been fun, but I'm out of things that really interest and inspire me to work on now and the remaining challenges are plain old perspiration, so it's on to other projects. I'll keep an eye out and update where needed when Squad drop new versions on our heads.

If I do get a flash of inspiration, I'll drop something in ;) TTFN!

Right guys, I'm taking a step back for the foreseeable future. The beta is working and nothing pressing appears to be broken or need urgent attention. It's been fun, but I'm out of things that really interest and inspire me to work on now and the remaining challenges are plain old perspiration, so it's on to other projects. I'll keep an eye out and update where needed when Squad drop new versions on our heads.

If I do get a flash of inspiration, I'll drop something in ;) TTFN!

You did good, son. You did good. I'm proud of you.

Oh, I am a bit sad to see you go. Ok, you are not really leaving, but I think the best time of developing this mod is over. If I come up with some great suggestions, I will post them here. Maybe some Bosten Dynamics like stuff. And will you make a release thread in the Add-on Releases forum?

It may seem up to date, but I compared the source and there's a lot of mis-matched stuff that doesn't cover the features we get from the release. That being said, it's possible hhe updated his github copy in the last day or two, which could explain things.

The reason I offered my source file is that I spawned a completely new module from the original file to cover only the dust effected and not the collision effects from the rest of the mod. But either way, it's the same particles that are being spawned.

EDIT: So, I looked at the update he made a day ago and it looks like it just updates the source to match what was in his release package. There are a few minor differences that don't actually make any difference in the way it works.

Here's a link to my additional source file which includes all my changes to allow for only the dust and none of the other fluff. It's completely stable at this time, I think.

Thanks, I tried to strip the sounds and sparks from CollisionFX myself and all I managed to get were debug spheres popping up but no particles. I built yours and it still wouldn't work, turns out I can't make Module Manager configs or something; had to manually add the module to a set of wheels, then it works. But the dust color switching doesn't seem to be working. I wasn't sure if it was just too subtle for me to tell, so I changed dirtColor to red, lightDirtColor to blue and still only gray. Not sure why though.

But you might want to put the OnPause and OnUnpause events back in, using dustFx.particleEmitter.enabled to pause/unpause the system. Without that, the game will pause but the emitters kinda don't.

Edit: figured out why all my dust was gray, I shorted IsPQS to always return true and GetBiomeColor works now. I have no idea what that IsPQS actually does.

Edit 2: Don't mind the choice of colors. Two minor kinks to work out, though.

V7McFO4l.png?1

Edited by 6.forty