1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

It won't let me post the whole thing, so here's the relevant portion of the output log...

[LOG 07:59:33.287] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'DMagicOrbitalScience/UniversalStorage/USProbeSci/RPWS/USRPWS'
[LOG 07:59:33.310] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'DMagicOrbitalScience/UniversalStorage/USScope/USScope/dmUSScope'
[LOG 07:59:33.333] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'DMagicOrbitalScience/UniversalStorage/USSoilMoisture/USSoilMoisture/dmUSSoilMoisture'
[LOG 07:59:33.358] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'DMagicOrbitalScience/UniversalStorage/USSolarParticles/USSolarParticles/dmUSSolarParticles'
[LOG 07:59:33.381] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'DMagicOrbitalScience/UniversalStorage/USStock/ACCGRAV/dmUSAccGrav'
[LOG 07:59:33.416] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'DMagicOrbitalScience/UniversalStorage/USStock/ATMOSSENSE/dmUSAtmosSense'
[LOG 07:59:33.438] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'DMagicOrbitalScience/UniversalStorage/USStock/PRESTEMP/dmUSPresTemp'
[LOG 07:59:33.472] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Library/Parts/ExternalCameraPart/external-camera/JSIPrimitiveExternalCamera'
[ERR 07:59:33.473] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'Squad/Parts/Utility/linearRCS/model' as model does not exist

[ERR 07:59:33.474] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

[ERR 07:59:33.474] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

[ERR 07:59:33.475] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

[LOG 07:59:33.475] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbalEngineer/Parts/Engineer7500/part/Engineer7500'
[LOG 07:59:33.492] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbalEngineer/Parts/EngineerChip/part/EngineerChip'
[LOG 07:59:33.506] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbalFoundries/APU/LoFiAPUrevA/KF_AuxiliaryPowerUnit'
[ERR 07:59:33.562] [ShipTemplate]: No Resource definition found for RESOURCE

[LOG 07:59:33.567] Added sound_explosion_low to FXGroup flameout
[LOG 07:59:33.580] LiquidFuel not found in resource database. Propellant Setup has failed.
[EXC 07:59:33.584] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
ModuleEngines.SetupPropellant ()
ModuleEngines.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node)
PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node)
Part.AddModule (.ConfigNode node)
PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node)
PartLoader+.MoveNext ()
[LOG 07:59:33.591] 1.7.5510.36285
[LOG 07:59:33.594] Found an engine
[EXC 07:59:33.608] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p)
PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p, System.String nodeName)
DragCubeSystem.LoadDragCubes (.Part p)
Part+.MoveNext ()

How exactly would I go about finding an output log, since the freeze doesn't actually halt the game?

Well it gets generated the moment the game starts, not just when it crashes... Assuming you're using the windows build of KSP, it'll be in the ksp_data folder.

- - - Updated - - -

It won't let me post the whole thing, so here's the relevant portion of the output log...

[LOG 07:59:33.287] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'DMagicOrbitalScience/UniversalStorage/USProbeSci/RPWS/USRPWS'
[LOG 07:59:33.310] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'DMagicOrbitalScience/UniversalStorage/USScope/USScope/dmUSScope'
[LOG 07:59:33.333] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'DMagicOrbitalScience/UniversalStorage/USSoilMoisture/USSoilMoisture/dmUSSoilMoisture'
[LOG 07:59:33.358] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'DMagicOrbitalScience/UniversalStorage/USSolarParticles/USSolarParticles/dmUSSolarParticles'
[LOG 07:59:33.381] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'DMagicOrbitalScience/UniversalStorage/USStock/ACCGRAV/dmUSAccGrav'
[LOG 07:59:33.416] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'DMagicOrbitalScience/UniversalStorage/USStock/ATMOSSENSE/dmUSAtmosSense'
[LOG 07:59:33.438] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'DMagicOrbitalScience/UniversalStorage/USStock/PRESTEMP/dmUSPresTemp'
[LOG 07:59:33.472] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Library/Parts/ExternalCameraPart/external-camera/JSIPrimitiveExternalCamera'
[ERR 07:59:33.473] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'Squad/Parts/Utility/linearRCS/model' as model does not exist

[ERR 07:59:33.474] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

[ERR 07:59:33.474] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

[ERR 07:59:33.475] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

[LOG 07:59:33.475] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbalEngineer/Parts/Engineer7500/part/Engineer7500'
[LOG 07:59:33.492] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbalEngineer/Parts/EngineerChip/part/EngineerChip'
[LOG 07:59:33.506] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbalFoundries/APU/LoFiAPUrevA/KF_AuxiliaryPowerUnit'
[ERR 07:59:33.562] [ShipTemplate]: No Resource definition found for RESOURCE

[LOG 07:59:33.567] Added sound_explosion_low to FXGroup flameout
[LOG 07:59:33.580] LiquidFuel not found in resource database. Propellant Setup has failed.
[EXC 07:59:33.584] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
ModuleEngines.SetupPropellant ()
ModuleEngines.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node)
PartLoader+.MoveNext ()
[LOG 07:59:33.591] 1.7.5510.36285
[LOG 07:59:33.594] Found an engine
[EXC 07:59:33.608] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Part+.MoveNext ()

Perfect, thank you. Running any mods that mess about extra sounds, effects or fuels types?

I get:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbalFoundries/APU/LoFiAPUrevA/KF_AuxiliaryPowerUnit'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

EffectList: Created 11 effect types

Perfect, thank you. Running any mods that mess about extra sounds, effects or fuels types?

Uh, a few. :blush:

I have HotRockets, MobileFrameSystem, ModularFuelTanks, Modular Rocket Systems, ModuleRCSFX, All of the USI mods, KSP-I Extended. I think that's all the mods that should affect Sounds, Effects, and Fuel Types.

There appears to be an issue with one of those I'd say. Do any of them use MM configs to change fuel types for existing engines? The part load fails because LiquidFuel is not in the database - presumably because it's been removed by another mod to be replaced with something else. It's probably that, rather than effects.

I'm not sure that makes sense; 75% of the engines in KSP use the LiquidFuel resource, wouldn't they all cause a crash long before this part was loaded if that were the case? Regardless, I haven't read anything to indicate any mod I'm using replaces LiquidFuel.

EDIT: Just to be sure, I skimmed the Output log with Find and found a few instances of LiquidFuel, mostly adding tweakable parameters to engines with liquidfuel, but I cross referenced that search with the offending part name. Nothing was applied to the resource LiquidFuel, near as I can tell, at least not through ModuleManager. There was only one instance of the APU coming up in the log, and that was USI marking it as a RecycleablePart. I don't think that's related, though.

EDIT 2: Just on a whim I removed the APU part temporarily and tried again. It again made it to the KF parts, loaded a few of them fine, and then halted on "KF_RoverBodyLarge."

[LOG 09:21:32.023] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbalFoundries/Repulsor/part/KF_Repulsor'
[LOG 09:21:32.048] PartLoader: Part 'KerbalFoundries/Repulsor/part/KF_Repulsor' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 09:21:32.068] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'KF.Repulsor'
[LOG 09:21:32.099] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbalFoundries/RepulsorSurface/part/KF_RepulsorSurface'
[LOG 09:21:32.184] PartLoader: Part 'KerbalFoundries/RepulsorSurface/part/KF_RepulsorSurface' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 09:21:32.231] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'KF.RepulsorSurface'
[LOG 09:21:32.251] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbalFoundries/RoverBody/part/KF_RoverBodyLarge'
[ERR 09:21:32.266] [ShipTemplate]: No Resource definition found for RESOURCE

[ERR 09:21:32.267] [ShipTemplate]: No Resource definition found for RESOURCE

[WRN 09:21:32.273] Could not create PartResource of type 'ElectricCharge
[WRN 09:21:32.273] Could not create PartResource of type 'MonoPropellant
[WRN 09:21:32.278] Could not create PartResource of type 'IntakeAir
[EXC 09:21:32.288] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
ModuleRCS.SetResource (System.String resource)
ModuleRCS.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node)
PartLoader+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 09:21:32.304] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Part+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 09:21:32.311] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
ModuleRCS.FixedUpdate ()
[EXC 09:21:32.311] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
ModuleRCS.FixedUpdate ()

The NullReferenceException repeats ad nauseum until I alt-f4'd the task.

Edited by Dreadp1r4te

I think all your points are pretty neatly addressed by a rolling resistance constant. I say constant because for wheels, it doesn't change much with speed. Though as you point out, it needs to be correctly multiplied with laden weight. This would neatly nerf acceleration and top speed for heavily laden wheels and increase power usage.

Tracks probably need a rolling resistance curve, but this is easy to roll into the same config fields as wheels. Tracks need a curve, wheels need a flat line. I'll work on something.

Yah, I tried to play with your code however as a noob can't compile it since I guess project solution path has changed and compiler just won't do it :P

Well I'll use rolling resistance term as an aggregate that has many variables in it (terrain resistance, mechanic resistance, loss of energy in moving elements, resistance of overburden wheel that might deform etc)

So then this variable could be very helpful

1) to keep high EC usage high at top speed (especially for tracks)

2) to simulate getting stuck in sand/gravel. If we think of small wheels on fine sticky surface (mars/moon) they could behave twofold:

a) lightweight vehicle - probably flat resistance line as you described - doesn't change much with speed

B) very heavy vehicle - too small wheels for weight applied - then we probably will have curved resistance profile - the small wheels would probably 'mire down' (sorry I'm not native speaker) in gravel/sand.

So rolling resistance would be more something like 0 at 0m/s then maximum at 2m/s and then past that they would decrease quickly to like 50% and then to maybe 40% at higher speeds. So for example under extreme situation you would get stuck and couldn't move. In order to do so you would have to alternate torque - forward/backward/forward etc to gain momentum and speed to get past maximum resistance (I'm sure you know this technique ;)) In other words starting movement under extreme weight is much harder for wheels than for tracks. I don't know whether you played spintires, it's nice approximation of how resistance decreases with speed.

Now things might get interesting. For example if we introduce some variable (possibly another curve for max flexibility) dependent on force that is applied on wheel/track. It would smoothly change rollingResistance profile based on weight (mass/forces applied) from profile a) to B) depending on weight.

So in this model weight resistance serves as a child of rollingResistance to change it's curve profile :P But then I think there's no need for speed / EC consumption curve since it's already accounted for with rollingResistance.

Well it gets generated the moment the game starts, not just when it crashes... Assuming you're using the windows build of KSP, it'll be in the ksp_data folder.

- - - Updated - - -

I get:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbalFoundries/APU/LoFiAPUrevA/KF_AuxiliaryPowerUnit'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

EffectList: Created 11 effect types

I'm not sure that makes sense; 75% of the engines in KSP use the LiquidFuel resource, wouldn't they all cause a crash long before this part was loaded if that were the case? Regardless, I haven't read anything to indicate any mod I'm using replaces LiquidFuel.

EDIT: Just to be sure, I skimmed the Output log with Find and found a few instances of LiquidFuel, mostly adding tweakable parameters to engines with liquidfuel, but I cross referenced that search with the offending part name. Nothing was applied to the resource LiquidFuel, near as I can tell, at least not through ModuleManager. There was only one instance of the APU coming up in the log, and that was USI marking it as a RecycleablePart. I don't think that's related, though.

EDIT 2: Just on a whim I removed the APU part temporarily and tried again. It again made it to the KF parts, loaded a few of them fine, and then halted on "KF_RoverBodyLarge."

[LOG 09:21:32.023] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbalFoundries/Repulsor/part/KF_Repulsor'
[LOG 09:21:32.048] PartLoader: Part 'KerbalFoundries/Repulsor/part/KF_Repulsor' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 09:21:32.068] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'KF.Repulsor'
[LOG 09:21:32.099] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbalFoundries/RepulsorSurface/part/KF_RepulsorSurface'
[LOG 09:21:32.184] PartLoader: Part 'KerbalFoundries/RepulsorSurface/part/KF_RepulsorSurface' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 09:21:32.231] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'KF.RepulsorSurface'
[LOG 09:21:32.251] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbalFoundries/RoverBody/part/KF_RoverBodyLarge'

[ERR 09:21:32.267] [ShipTemplate]: No Resource definition found for RESOURCE

[WRN 09:21:32.273] Could not create PartResource of type 'ElectricCharge
[WRN 09:21:32.273] Could not create PartResource of type 'MonoPropellant
[WRN 09:21:32.278] Could not create PartResource of type 'IntakeAir
[EXC 09:21:32.288] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
ModuleRCS.SetResource (System.String resource)
ModuleRCS.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node)
PartLoader+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 09:21:32.304] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Part+.MoveNext ()
ModuleRCS.FixedUpdate ()
ModuleRCS.FixedUpdate ()

The NullReferenceException repeats ad nauseum until I alt-f4'd the task.

Yes, that's because the rover body has some mono propellant. It's something to do with your install, so take a long look at what mods you're running, understand what they do, then we can maybe work out a way to bash the configs to the correct fuel types for whatever you're running.

Yah, I tried to play with your code however as a noob can't compile it since I guess project solution path has changed and compiler just won't do it :P

Well I'll use rolling resistance term as an aggregate that has many variables in it (terrain resistance, mechanic resistance, loss of energy in moving elements, resistance of overburden wheel that might deform etc)

So then this variable could be very helpful

1) to keep high EC usage high at top speed (especially for tracks)

2) to simulate getting stuck in sand/gravel. If we think of small wheels on fine sticky surface (mars/moon) they could behave twofold:

a) lightweight vehicle - probably flat resistance line as you described - doesn't change much with speed

B) very heavy vehicle - too small wheels for weight applied - then we probably will have curved resistance profile - the small wheels would probably 'mire down' (sorry I'm not native speaker) in gravel/sand.

So rolling resistance would be more something like 0 at 0m/s then maximum at 2m/s and then past that they would decrease quickly to like 50% and then to maybe 40% at higher speeds. So for example under extreme situation you would get stuck and couldn't move. In order to do so you would have to alternate torque - forward/backward/forward etc to gain momentum and speed to get past maximum resistance (I'm sure you know this technique ;)) In other words starting movement under extreme weight is much harder for wheels than for tracks. I don't know whether you played spintires, it's nice approximation of how resistance decreases with speed.

Now things might get interesting. For example if we introduce some variable (possibly another curve for max flexibility) dependent on force that is applied on wheel/track. It would smoothly change rollingResistance profile based on weight (mass/forces applied) from profile a) to B) depending on weight.

So in this model weight resistance serves as a child of rollingResistance to change it's curve profile :P But then I think there's no need for speed / EC consumption curve since it's already accounted for with rollingResistance.

You're trying to make it waaaaaaay too complicated. Rolling resistance for a wheel is pretty much constant for a given load over normal speed range - that's all there is to it. Will rise as laden weight increases. Tracks are a little more complicated, though it just needs to increase with speed and not rise so much as weight is applied compared to a wheel.

I'll just define the (currently over simple) rollingResistance constant as a floatcurve and add a coefficient multiplier for weight, which may also end up being a floatcurve. For wheels, you'll just config it flat, for tracks you can tweak the curve to suit the design. Likewise with the weight multiplier. There's not really any way to change things for different surfaces in KSP (other than biomes, I suppose), so that's a non starter.

Yes, that's because the rover body has some mono propellant. It's something to do with your install, so take a long look at what mods you're running, understand what they do, then we can maybe work out a way to bash the configs to the correct fuel types for whatever you're running.

You're trying to make it waaaaaaay too complicated. Rolling resistance for a wheel is pretty much constant for a given load over normal speed range - that's all there is to it. Will rise as laden weight increases. Tracks are a little more complicated, though it just needs to increase with speed and not rise so much as weight is applied compared to a wheel.

I'll just define the (currently over simple) rollingResistance constant as a floatcurve and add a coefficient multiplier for weight, which may also end up being a floatcurve. For wheels, you'll just config it flat, for tracks you can tweak the curve to suit the design. Likewise with the weight multiplier. There's not really any way to change things for different surfaces in KSP (other than biomes, I suppose), so that's a non starter.

Cool, awesome \o/ I hope there is a way to get a weight variable that is dependent on mass and gravitational forces :)

Yeah, that's easy actually. Loading data is available straight from the wheel colliders :) I learned how to access that when messing with that bulldozer blade!

And thanks for the input! Getting a bit inspired to start messing again :D

I think I have a clue; I'm using KSPI-Extended and USI, both of which require CommunityResourcePack, where as near as I can tell, rename some of the simplified fuels to their real-life counterparts; i.e., LiquidFuel becomes LqdHydrogen, and Oxidizer becomes LqdOxygen. I think. It's very hard to tell what all these things do; ever since 1.0 came out, and with everyone having their own resource framework, it's gotten entirely too hard to follow since back in .22's days or whatever it was when KSPI first came out.

Ah, OK. That would make sense. What you'll need to do is look through the mm configs that come with them and work out what they replace the standard fuels with. This may well be documented. You can look through a save or persistence file too - you'll quickly find what fuels it's saving. Then you can config bash the KF configs to match, or write an MM patch. Pretty sure that'll sort it out :)

Actually, I feel really bad about bothering you now. I stripped out every mod that has anything to do with resources to help identify exactly which mod was causing the problem, and the game STILL hung on your parts, so on a whim I ran a local cache verification via Steam and discovered there were over 1000 corrupt/missing files. It downloaded 70~ meg of crap and now it starts fine. Thanks for the quick responses though; you're a helluva modder! Gonna piece this back together and see how it runs.

Balls. Appears Gaalidas did a load of source updates which I didn't sync while I was bashing things myself. Now trying to unwrangle the conflicted files :/

Once I've done that, you can have a play around with the new config options for rolling resistance, Riocrokite. I think you've got access to the dev stuff?

Balls. Appears Gaalidas did a load of source updates which I didn't sync while I was bashing things myself. Now trying to unwrangle the conflicted files :/

Once I've done that, you can have a play around with the new config options for rolling resistance, Riocrokite. I think you've got access to the dev stuff?

cool, yah I have access

Great, I'll try and get that sorted this eve. If you have a chance could you do me a favour and cast an eye over the wheel and track configs please? I'm painfully aware that weight, cost and tech tree nodes are all over the place.

Wait... what did I do now? I actually haven't done much of any updates lately, despite my various reports of "impending updates to the code and/or MM configs" that I've been threatening you all with for the last month. School always gets in the way at the wrong time.

Not your fault, was my local copy that was out of date while making changes. I'll get it sorted once I've beaten GitHub into submission.

That's what you get for not working right from github in the first place. Every time I update things, I first download anything new from github and use winmerge on it to make sure I'm not screwing anything over, then sync it back up.

By the way, that MM config update for TweakScale is... well... still in the works. Yes, I know it's about three weeks behind my last estimated arrival time, but then 1.0 was released and everything went to heck. Once heck is over with, I'll get the... uhh... heck... back to it.

Great, I'll try and get that sorted this eve. If you have a chance could you do me a favour and cast an eye over the wheel and track configs please? I'm painfully aware that weight, cost and tech tree nodes are all over the place.

yah, no problem

Cool. Preliminary version now up, though I've only set up the config correctly for the medium track so far.

Gaalidas, I'm really sorry. I was trying to merge the changes together, hit the Git console too hard, and it overwrote some of your optimisations. Thinking of splitting off the KF plugin into its own repo and taking the source out of the parts directory. Should make life a lot easier.

Also, I should mention that the dev repulsors will probably be broken, and there are some new ones. Play at your peril: I can't remember where I left it all!

Edited by lo-fi

Yeah, there are a few I've been messing with, though all are still experimental designs:

Z821n60.png

Also, did you see this that I've been messing with:

And I've been slowly remodeling some variants of this, which was originally SpannerMonkey's awesome work:

Cool. Preliminary version now up, though I've only set up the config correctly for the medium track so far.

Gaalidas, I'm really sorry. I was trying to merge the changes together, hit the Git console too hard, and it overwrote some of your optimisations. Thinking of splitting off the KF plugin into its own repo and taking the source out of the parts directory. Should make life a lot easier.

Also, I should mention that the dev repulsors will probably be broken, and there are some new ones. Play at your peril: I can't remember where I left it all!

thx, I'll look at it tomorrow (I have some work stuff to do today)

That's the great thing about separate working folders between github and a local directory. Anything you overwrite, I can overwrite better! Err... what I mean is... I'll check out the new stuff and re-merge anything I've done into it. Another thing I started working on was a better way to identify all of your log entries with not only the plugin name, but also the specific class that it's coming from in the form of constant strings that contain a prefix, then using "string.Format" to prefix all of your logs with that prefix. However, I'm considering adding a custom method to your source which will make the process of conversion much easier, basically replacing all calls for the log methods with a custom method which will insert the appropriate prefix into the calls. Either way, work is being done when I have free time (gasp!) to better identify when, where, and what the error or information being logged is referring to. I'm also considering if it might be better to package my DustFX plugin into the KF plugin considering I made it primarily for your parts and pizzaoverhead has been strangely not responding to any of my attempts to let him in on the developments I've made working off of his original code. Besides, the dust that is thrown up from the repulsor colliders is so good that it really should be a stock behavior for this mod. The only thing I want to add it the ability to have the dust be thrown up when the repulsor craft isn't moving, but only when the repulsors are fired up. Hey, if I don't remember to do it soon, remind me some time to post up my latest WIP of the plugin for you to play with. The effect is quite nice.