1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

Thanks! It never ceases to amaze me how many people must have downloaded already; it's something over 30K spread over the various versions according to KerbalStuff.

The lander does give me an idea for a sort of strap on (if you'll pardon the expression) skycrane for the DSR3 that I'm currently remodeling and texturing... Which reminds me, I need to ask Marce if his strut gun is ready yet. I can't be doing with this docking port to tie things down shenanigans ;)

Maybe we ought to have thought about renaming the modules before releasing the beta! It just never occurred to me, really. Still, it won't cause much disruption.

The lander does give me an idea for a sort of strap on (if you'll pardon the expression) skycrane for the DSR3 that I'm currently remodeling and texturing... Which reminds me, I need to ask Marce if his strut gun is ready yet. I can't be doing with this docking port to tie things down shenanigans ;)

You mean active struts? That's been ready for a while, and there's an IR themed version too :wink:

Hehe! All in best POSSIBLE taste ;)

Cheers dude, looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

I started something so far removed from wheels or space or anything KSP that I abandoned it (that and probably copyright). Do you think I should finish it?

Need to turn that guitar into a prop for the kerbal to hold. Too bad that really stinking old mod that added in-game modifiable kerbal animations didn't make it into a usable state. That would make it even better.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! It never ceases to amaze me how many people must have downloaded already; it's something over 30K spread over the various versions according to KerbalStuff.

Maybe we ought to have thought about renaming the modules before releasing the beta! It just never occurred to me, really. Still, it won't cause much disruption.

I can't help it man, my mind is always half in the gutter I think. The first image that came to my mind was a kerbal prop of a strap-on that looked like the DSR3 (and it's amazing how it's shaped rather conveniently for this purpose) and now I feel all dirty upstairs. I guarantee a bunch of you guys do now too, now that I've shared the experience.

Darren, that's brilliant! Please continue! Btw, UK law now permits use of copyrighted works in parody. I think that counts ;)

We're going to get ourselves into trouble, Gaalidas!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Space Scumbag.

The tracks are the greatest things ever. Thank you so much for killing two days for me. Im trying to make a Haglund ATV that'll drive into a Mk. 4 fuselage for transport to both north and south poles to start Polar Observation Stations. I'll start posting photos of some creations later after work.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I have a problem. It seems that the Medium Tracks don't want to work no matter what way I place them. They always sink into the ground and do nothing except spam my debug log. I don't have a screenshot from when I tested them in normal configuration, but here's one in an upside-down configuration:

screenshot3_zpseabc464b.png

The three toolbars are BDArmory, Throttle Controlled Avionics, and Kerbal Konstructs

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I have a problem. It seems that the Medium Tracks don't want to work no matter what way I place them. They always sink into the ground and do nothing except spam my debug log. I don't have a screenshot from when I tested them in normal configuration.........

I have the same problem.

The tracks are the greatest things ever. Thank you so much for killing two days for me. Im trying to make a Haglund ATV that'll drive into a Mk. 4 fuselage for transport to both north and south poles to start Polar Observation Stations. I'll start posting photos of some creations later after work.

Very much looking forward to seeing that. Screen shots, videos and cinematics always welcome here!

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I have a problem. It seems that the Medium Tracks don't want to work no matter what way I place them. They always sink into the ground and do nothing except spam my debug log. I don't have a screenshot from when I tested them in normal configuration, but here's one in an upside-down configuration:

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv71/WildFighter9/screenshot3_zpseabc464b.png

The three toolbars are BDArmory, Throttle Controlled Avionics, and Kerbal Konstructs

They definitely wont work upside down, with the exception of the RBI inverting.

I have the same problem.

First reports I've had, so could you both post an output_log with a medium track equipped craft in flight please? Is this only the medium track?

Absolutely, just play with the steeringcurve values in KFModuleWheel. First value on each line is speed, next is corresponding steering angle for that speed. It interpolates, so you might just want to add a line above the others like: key = 2, 90, 0, 0 (hopefully I've remembered the formatting right). This would allow steering to full 90 degrees under 2 m/s, for example.

Incidentally, that's how the truck wheel we've been talking about will be set up.

Absolutely, just play with the steeringcurve values in KFModuleWheel. First value on each line is speed, next is corresponding steering angle for that speed. It interpolates, so you might just want to add a line above the others like: key = 2, 90, 0, 0 (hopefully I've remembered the formatting right). This would allow steering to full 90 degrees under 2 m/s, for example.

Incidentally, that's how the truck wheel we've been talking about will be set up.

cheers, I think there is a need for more top mounted wheels or tracks. Mainly for docking multiple vehicles / freight cars together. The usual problem is that you can't dock two vehicles since docking ports are on different heights:

- different weights -> spring/dampener actions

- it's hard to attach wheels / tracks on the side so they are aligned and touch ground evenly

top mount and fixed height solves those 2 problems:)

LFKLIwW.jpg

Edited by riocrokite

You can adjust the height of sets of wheels using the right click menu to make this easier. Set the ones you want to change into the same group number using the slider, then adjust the ride height slider and click 'apply wheel settings'.

Surface mount wheels have suspension too, but being small you may have bottomed them out.

Edited by lo-fi

You can adjust the height of sets of wheels using the right click menu to make this easier. Set the ones you want to change into the same group number using the slider, then adjust the ride height slider and click 'apply wheel settings'.

Surface mount wheels have suspension too, but being small you may have bottomed them out.

yah, true, forgot about that:) to keep you creative -> a nice-to-have thing I could imagine would be to have an in-flight slider to change steeringcurve, something I think is implemanted in B9 for its landing wheels. Then I could dynamically change switch between maneuvering or cruising mode sensitivity without changing cfg file.

- - - Updated - - -

First, your wheels mod is totally awesome!

However, ~185Mb for a set of "wheels" is just a bit too much, imho...

I suggest deleting RoverBody catalog which takes half of that (insane texture quality hehe;)); also you can delete wheels/repulsors/tracks catalogs you won't need to further reduce memory footprint.

Edited by riocrokite

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about a steering multiplier slider earlier: it'll be dead easy, I'll try and get that out in the point updated with the fixed medium track.

Regarding texture sizes, there's a lot of sharing optimisation to be rolled out as lots of parts share track textures. Riockrite is right, the rover body texture is quite large ;) I'll roll it into a separate download at some point - for the moment, just delete what you don't need/want. There are no inter-part dependencies currently.