[1.2] USI Survivability Pack (Formerly DERP) [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

KSP randomly freezes/crashes when I'm using the DERP pod.:(

The KSP.log shows these errors: (KSP 0.24.2 64bit)

[WRN 17:43:26.780] FAR Error: Aerodynamic force = 0 Aerodynamic moment = 0 CoD Local = 0 CoD Global = NaN D.E.R.P. Propulsion Module
[WRN 17:43:26.781] FAR Error: Aerodynamic force = 0 Aerodynamic moment = 0 CoD Local = 0 CoD Global = NaN D.E.R.P. Lifeboat Module

Also Im using NEAR instead of FAR, so I changed your FAR-MM-Config to this: (I just replaced the NEEDS[FAR] with NEEDS[NEAR])

@PART[USI_PodEngine]:NEEDS[NEAR]
{
MODULE
{
name = FARBasicDragModel
isEnabled = True
EVENTS
{
}
ACTIONS
{
}
}
}

@PART[USI_PodCapsule]:NEEDS[NEAR]
{
MODULE
{
name = FARBasicDragModel
isEnabled = True
EVENTS
{
}
ACTIONS
{
}
}
}

So does this mod cause a significant performance hit for anyone else? I put four of these on a small station and from the moment I loaded it on the launchpad I had terrible frame rate and performance, and this was a sub 150 part station including the booster. I relaunched it with out the pods and frame rate and everything was totally fine. Went back to the original station and jettisoned all the pods and then deleted them from the tracking station, reloaded my space station and frame rate and everything were fine.

I'm using ksp 24.2 32bit and I do have allot of mods installed so it could be some mods not playing nice with each other, and I am on a laptop that really isnt the most powerful thing out there but I don't really have many issues, just wondering if any one else has experienced this and found a cause before I go digging.

Is it possible for a part to be developed, so that when you stick it on a part with crew capacity, and when you click evacuate on the part, every screw will try to get into the part? This would allow larger more customizable life boats, for when on large structures such as space stations.

Sit tight guys... pretend these are full of bees right now as Squad changed some rules on modifying crew capacity :P

Will get back to this little guy as soon as I can, need to get all creative and stuff.

The "evacuate" command doesn't seem to work; I can set it to an action group but nothing happens when I trigger it. I can still have the kerbals spacewalk into the pods, but that's cumbersome. Known issue in 0.24.2, or is one of my other mods breaking it?

The "evacuate" command doesn't seem to work; I can set it to an action group but nothing happens when I trigger it. I can still have the kerbals spacewalk into the pods, but that's cumbersome. Known issue in 0.24.2, or is one of my other mods breaking it?

Known issue

Two questions. Since these are KAS attachable, are they refillable in the field? Would they make a viable platform as a space elevator?

Also, what is the intended purpose of the KAS container included? Bring a light source hidden in there to set up and make yourself easier to find?

Two questions. Since these are KAS attachable, are they refillable in the field? Would they make a viable platform as a space elevator?

Also, what is the intended purpose of the KAS container included? Bring a light source hidden in there to set up and make yourself easier to find?

Define refillable? They are basically little inflatable spaceships :)

The container is to toss in whatever extra goodies you want... snacks, solar panels, whatever

Also Im using NEAR instead of FAR, so I changed your FAR-MM-Config to this: (I just replaced the NEEDS[FAR] with NEEDS[NEAR])

@PART[USI_PodEngine]:NEEDS[NEAR]
{
MODULE
{
name = FARBasicDragModel
isEnabled = True
EVENTS
{
}
ACTIONS
{
}
}
}

@PART[USI_PodCapsule]:NEEDS[NEAR]
{
MODULE
{
name = FARBasicDragModel
isEnabled = True
EVENTS
{
}
ACTIONS
{
}
}
}

Doing my first test of the DERP and I'm using NEAR as well. The damn thing is not slowing down, at all! I swear I went nearly halfway around Kerbin with the reentry effects (and I'm still at 1.3 km/s and oh it's going up again). Will try the above config and report.

Edit: kinda forgot that "report" thing. Yeah, the above config for NEAR fixed it alright.

Edited by CriticalChewie

Doing my first test of the DERP and I'm using NEAR as well. The damn thing is not slowing down, at all! I swear I went nearly halfway around Kerbin with the reentry effects (and I'm still at 1.3 km/s and oh it's going up again). Will try the above config and report.

That was an issue I had before, back when this mod first came out (and I had deadly-Reentry, and the engine didn't have heat shielding at the time). Worry not, RoverDude will get around to it. Once he fixes the pod itself.

EDIT: Though that was with FAR.

Edited by Storywalker4

Is evacuate still broken?

I's not just evacuate. The 24.2 update made everything all difficult about it.

Sit tight guys... pretend these are full of bees right now as Squad changed some rules on modifying crew capacity :P

Will get back to this little guy as soon as I can, need to get all creative and stuff.

He's also working on his other mods, but he'll get back to this one sooner or later.

Note: Am I being too helpful? I feel like I am... Is that even possible? I SHALL NOW HELP EVERYBODY MUHAHAHA

Edited by Storywalker4

I's not just evacuate. The 24.2 update made everything all difficult about it.

He's also working on his other mods, but he'll get back to this one sooner or later.

Note: Am I being too helpful? I feel like I am... Is that even possible? I SHALL NOW HELP EVERYBODY MUHAHAHA

Help me! :)

I've used my DERP's a few times and haven't had any issues in 24.2, well except realizing they don't really have enough fuel to safely get a kerbal from my mun station onto the surface.

What is the bee issue with this little guy?

*snip*

What is the bee issue with this little guy?

Oh, he fixed it? Well then I'm a dirty little liar. See, now I was being too helpful. Jeb left too many flower-scented air-fresheners in the packaging of the DERP shipment, and well, the bees moved in. Gene found some bee poison I guess. Pine-scented only from now on.

About the fuel, it's only meant to be able to de-orbit from LKO (or any similar body) Just enough to point backwards and miss the ground less and slam into some air.

Oh, he fixed it? Well then I'm a dirty little liar. See, now I was being too helpful. Jeb left too many flower-scented air-fresheners in the packaging of the DERP shipment, and well, the bees moved in. Gene found some bee poison I guess. Pine-scented only from now on.

I don't know. I was never really sure what was full of bees. But I have tested it fine this weekend.

About the fuel, it's only meant to be able to de-orbit from LKO (or any similar body) Just enough to point backwards and miss the ground less and slam into some air.

I figured, but wanted to try anyhow. I envisioned a cool scenario where an orbital station failure caused all kerbals to eject and get to the surface, where then the local ground base could go pick them up via rover.

Now that I've read every single post in this thread.. I would like to contribute a suggestion (or make a request?). Among your long list of things I'm sure you've got to fix/work on/change etc. etc. I was wondering if you would be interested in developing another model specifically intended as a Space Station Emergency Evac Pod. Suggestions for functional design (not aesthetic, as what you have is great imo), would be the hatch face inboard on the craft it attaches to (with engine facing outboard), and upon "evacuating", decoupling, or undocking--little thrusters would fire to launch it away from the station in distress. At which point the engines would engage and you would be able to control the craft as you normally would. Also, the ability to connect via a dock would be nice too. I would love to have a plethora of these lined along the side of my station ready to jettison but also the interchange-ability to move a rendezvous/distress vehicle in later for repairs/replacements.

Anyway, I fully intend on using the DERP on my station as-is and will probably still do a 50/50 split of these and the proposed model (if you do develop one in the future).

Additionally, I don't know the potential of this other suggestion, but how hard would it be to incorporate remote control (if not already applied) of the DERP pods?

These would make amazing modular ship-to-ship shuttle craft.

Thank you for all of your hard work, I'm loving all of your mods, I find that I use most of your mods now and have intentions of using the remainder in the future (I'm still a fairly green pilot so asteroid manipulation are a bit out of my skill sets right now)

Now that I've read every single post in this thread.. I would like to contribute a suggestion (or make a request?). Among your long list of things I'm sure you've got to fix/work on/change etc. etc. I was wondering if you would be interested in developing another model specifically intended as a Space Station Emergency Evac Pod. Suggestions for functional design (not aesthetic, as what you have is great imo), would be the hatch face inboard on the craft it attaches to (with engine facing outboard), and upon "evacuating", decoupling, or undocking--little thrusters would fire to launch it away from the station in distress. At which point the engines would engage and you would be able to control the craft as you normally would. Also, the ability to connect via a dock would be nice too. I would love to have a plethora of these lined along the side of my station ready to jettison but also the interchange-ability to move a rendezvous/distress vehicle in later for repairs/replacements.

Anyway, I fully intend on using the DERP on my station as-is and will probably still do a 50/50 split of these and the proposed model (if you do develop one in the future).

Additionally, I don't know the potential of this other suggestion, but how hard would it be to incorporate remote control (if not already applied) of the DERP pods?

These would make amazing modular ship-to-ship shuttle craft.

Thank you for all of your hard work, I'm loving all of your mods, I find that I use most of your mods now and have intentions of using the remainder in the future (I'm still a fairly green pilot so asteroid manipulation are a bit out of my skill sets right now)

Good suggestions :) I'm actually circling around to this mod as it needs some love, and I was just having fun working on the DERP's little cousin:

SmgBjmz.png