[1.2] USI Survivability Pack (Formerly DERP) [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

Just tie to the evac option. It will automatically fill each DERP with a Kerbal and jettison it.

I have found that mapping Pod - Evacuate, Pod - Activate Generator, Engine - Activate Engine, & Engine - Deploy (Last one assuming you pre-set an atmospheric density to the chute) as a single activation key works really well. Once I switch to it I don't have to play with any of the right click menus to turn anything on, which is nice if your using it as a during launch evac and don't have time :P

• 2 weeks later...

Could you make the landing bags a little smaller/aerodynamic/idk. I am trying to use them landing flotation bags and they just stick out too much. Maybe rounded ones so they can form to the capsules. Also can you make them DRE compatible because since they go towards the bottoms of capsules they blow up. The airbags are fine. They are a little big too but they are at least a little more manageable then the floatation devices, but they aren't DRE either they blow up too.

VU3ZTbX.png

1. You don't land manned spacecraft with airbags. Especially with DRE (G-limit may kill them).

2. For stock capsules I recommend floaties from Klockheed Martian Special (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84224-DISCONTINUED-Klockheed-Martian-Special-Parts-V2-1-1-23-Aug-Dev-Thread). To my knowledge, they work, even if development is discontinued. There are really small ball floaties and heatshields with integrated inflatable floats.

I don't use DR, it didn't want to play nice with FAR so I got rid of it a few versions ago and never checked back up on it, but I have lithobraked manned pods under the g-limit but over what a standard pod could survive normally so it is possible just not recommended if you are returning just the pod.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, RoverDude! This also is a great mod, thanks!

I don't use TAC-LS (I prefer IFILS), so I'm trying some MM patches and I'd appreciate some input...

First, I'd like to know if I wrote them according to the way your mod works. Basically, I replaced food, water and oxygen references with LifeSupport:

//------------------------ IFILS for D.E.R.P.
@PART[USI_PodCapsule]:HAS[!MODULE[IFILifeSupport]]
{
MODULE
{
name = IFILife Support
}

RESOURCE
{
name = LifeSupport
amount = 3
maxAmount = 3
}

@MODULE[LifeBoat]
{
!foodAmount = DELETE
!waterAmount = DELETE
!oxyAmount = DELETE

}

!RESOURCE[Food]{}
!RESOURCE[Water]{}
!RESOURCE[Oxygen]{}
}

Now, to everyone, I'd like and opinion about balance: since IFILS has only one resource and, according to its rules, a kerbal lives for 2,5 hours (at most!) without life support, I had to set an amount that lasts until the rescue. On the other hand, a lifeboat with more resources than a capsule does not make sense (to me). So I set it to 3 six-hour-kerbal-days.

What do you think?

As I remember the old airbags thread, there was an advice to set airbags in a way that they intersect with each other. It doesn't work. Here's a couple of screenshots.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The second screenshot contains an exaggerated effect just to show the problem. Usually, I use the first example in tetrahedron configuration, and even the slight offset sends the craft into uncontrollable spin in flight (doesn't matter if in atmosphere or not) and it's breakdancing after landing without stop. Incidentally, sometimes effect is negated by phys warp x4.

Those ones on the edges are too close.

The collider is the shape of the inflated ball, and they will push things around. You can leverage that in the same way you would leverage any collider in KSP to make a bubble around delicate cargo, which will help prevent the parts from shearing off due to breaking force or torque.

Yeah, I know that, but aren't they supposed to collide with terrain and other vessels while passing through each other without problems? That's why I mentioned the old thread - it was advised (by you, btw :D) to attach them in this manner.

Yeah, I know that, but aren't they supposed to collide with terrain and other vessels while passing through each other without problems? That's why I mentioned the old thread - it was advised (by you, btw :D) to attach them in this manner.

No, they would collide with eachother... otherwise my advice to clump them would be useless. And yes, I advised to have them touching - you have them too close. The collider is an iconosphere not a sphere, and if you have them touch there will not be too much tension. Your edge ones are WAY too close as noted.

You want something like this:

Airbags attached to the same part do not make physics freak out. In my tetrahedron configuration, 3 central airbags on every side are attached to the same part - they stay put. Same for screenshot with squares: airbags attached to the same structural panel stay put. But panels themselves get pushed away from each other. On your video, again, they're all attached to the same part and stay put.

Nevermind. I can see you're not interested in changing this behavior. "Works as intended", I guess.

Tell me what behavior you're looking to change... preferably without acting like a jerk.

I have shown you examples both in multi-part and single part vehicles. I have explained how the colliders work. I have offered advice on how to use these to your advantage. What I did not ask was to get attitude, especially given this is... you know.. free stuff.

(Edit) And changing the breaking force so the balls lithobreak first pretty much ruins them for imact tolerance because they fly off on the first bounce. (/Edit)

If you want these to clip through eachother - that will pretty much make them not work at all, because they are solid colliders so they collide. Changing colliders to any shape other than the ball itself makes no sense, because as it is the collider shape is pretty predictable. And changing how KSP physics work is kinda not an option.

And given how many people I see successfully using these in various configurations, the problem I see here is a design one. But if you have some idea on how to change the design of the part itself (noting the constraints above and their reasons), I'm all ears.

acting like a jerk.
Thanks.
What I did not ask was to get attitude, especially given this is... you know.. free stuff.
I know you're doing it for free and I appreciate it. Also, I know how many mods you're maintaining. So, stop reading between lines: I literally meant that if you think that airbags work as they should and/or you don't have time for it - just say so and forget about it, no problem.
If you want these to clip through eachother - that will pretty much make them not work at all, because they are solid colliders so they collide.
I'm not a coder, so I don't know if it's even possible, but wouldn't Physics.IgnoreCollision inside OnAwake() do the trick? Even if you use generic names for colliders, can't you add tags to things (like colliders) in Unity and filter by tag?

Thanks.

I know you're doing it for free and I appreciate it. Also, I know how many mods you're maintaining. So, stop reading between lines: I literally meant that if you think that airbags work as they should and/or you don't have time for it - just say so and forget about it, no problem.

If you're legit not trying to be a jerk, you might take this as a bit of a warning that that's really strongly how you were coming across with this.

Nevermind. I can see you're not interested in changing this behavior. "Works as intended", I guess.
That sounds really sarcastic and confrontational. Consider it an FYI.

Let's try this again.

The colliders are there... so they collide. They are doing what they are supposed to do. You have given no rational reason why that should change. So if by 'inflated Balls should be able to be halfway inside other giant inflated balls', then the answer is no.

Not because I don't have time for it, and not because you're asking in a kinda jerky way. But because they are in fact working precisely as intended - i.e. the colliders... collide.

You have given no rational reason why that should change.
Because it wouldn't be a problem if there was a soft body physics in KSP, which airbags are kinda trying to emulate with rigid bodies?
But because they are in fact working precisely as intended
Now that's a fair answer. OK, I'll stop bothering you with it and either try to implement it myself or try adding tweakscale config to make airbags work with any craft sizes.

RoverDude i appreciate all the hard work but is there any chance you could create an agency for all your mods that way we can see all your parts under manufacturer in the editor ??

I second that. Indeed you already have the flag ready :)