Eve Concept. Single launch Eve sea level can-lander and rover.

Eve Concept v5 is what you need when you want to go to Eve and back in one single launch.

Of course you also want to land at sea level in a comfy lander can, and then drive around in

a spiffy rover checking out the neighborhood.

While doing that, up to three travelmates remain in orbit, telling you not to goof up.

Update: Added a small probe to land and scout for a nice landing spot.

Edit: In the 0.24 update the LFB KR1x2 has been nerfed, meaning the booster isn't as effective as it should. So a newer version of Eve Concept (V5.25) with moar boosters is availeble.

landerrover.jpg

Looking for a nice pizza place...

Downloads:

http://kasplutt.dlinkddns.com/L/Eve_concept_v5_25_nmj.craft Newer version for 0.24+

http://kasplutt.dlinkddns.com/L/Eve_concept_v5_25_nmj.craft Newer version for 0.24+ Stock

http://kasplutt.dlinkddns.com/L/Eve_concept_v5.craft With Mechjeb

http://kasplutt.dlinkddns.com/L/Eve_concept_v5_nmj.craft Stock

Action groups: (Yes finally learned how to make them)

1-Toggle ladders

2-Toggle mid-ish RCS-ports

Instructions:

Scoop in some more kerbals in the hitchiker container for company. No need to put a dude in

the lander can until time for landing. Ladders are provided for easy climbing.

Wait for launch window. Or was it lunch?

Blast off to 100000m. You can disable the mid-ish RCS ports to save RCS fuel.

Off you go to Eve.

Do a course correction half way.

Aerobrake at Eve. 60000m is a good altitude. Orbit at 130000-ish works fine

Circulize the orbit. Ending up in some weird angled orbit seems to be fully normal.

Detatch the little rover and land it somewhere. Drive around to find a nice landing spot.

Put a dude in the lander can and stage to detatch the lander from "the pig".

Aim for whatever, maybe the rover? and stage to detatch the lander tanks and then stage to deploy the drogue chutes.

Apply brakes and stage at 1000m-ish over ground to jettison the rover and stage again to deploy main chutes.

Land. Doh. If using MJ, landing at 5m/s saves fuel. More than 6 m/s means crash.

Have a safe and productive day outside! No shooting.

Well back in. Stage to jettison the landing "ear tanks"

Take off and stage again to jettison the legs.

MJ's "Limit to terminal velocity" is handy. If manual, throttle down to 80% at the second half of stage 5 and 4

Start turning at 27500m going up to 100000m at a 40% curve. 150dV should remain if MJ is used. If manual, just enough.

Rendezvous the two ships as you like. The lesser angle of the final orbit is to prefer when leaving.

Spacewalk over your dude to the pig. He has a lot to tell!

Waiting for a launch window back is just boring. If you expand the way home orbit half way to Duna,

you will intercept Kerbin nicely without waiting.

Do a course correction half way.

Land at Kerbin as you like. If enough fuel left, the pig can land as it is, without the chutes.

offwego.jpg

What? I thought YOU had the map?!

Vehicle facts:

1375 ton at liftoff.

25 stages

605parts

Lander weight 113 ton. Rover 750 kg.

Almost debris free. Just one stage left on the way to Eve.

Notes from the engineer:

I haven't done any science in this thing. Maybe you should smack on some more batteries for that.

The second most tricky part, the lander, has evolved over time, The main problem is always weight.

First landers only used 48-7s engines because of that, but aerospikes have been found more effective

despite a lot heavier. Some 48-7s' remain for steering.

Horizontal staging (any better word for that?) and engine dropping were weird ideas that became so good.

Rockomax sized tanks is preferred to reduce part count.

The "ear tanks" have always been present in any form. Mainly for attaching chutes, RCS thrusters and lights that

should be jettisoned before take off.

Ideal TWR for Eve launches seem to be in 1.2-1.4 range

The booster just took about 1/4 of the time to construct. The central stage appeared just beacuse "it looked so nice" and

what looks nice flies nice. Right? Horizontal staging reappears here too, because it seems to be my thing.

Booster has so far proven very reliable. Strutting sucks but holds it together nicely.

The rover was my almost first try to make one. When using the 1x1m steel plate and eight wheels it suddenly become very

stable and useful. Later on I found out that the rover provided with the game is almost identical. I swear, I had forgotten it..!

The small probe-rover is almost a copy of the rovers from the mighty Eve Explorer by Stewen Lawyer.

The most tricky part? Always the ladders :(

landed.jpg

Ok guys, landning was awkward , but now we're home.

Have fun!

/Emod

Edited by Emod
V5.25 update!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.