Mk1-2 command pod ladder placement - is there a solution?

I've found a lot of threads with people complaining about the Mk1-2 ladder placement but I can't find a proposed workaround. My own workarounds are:

a) make a ladder from the command pod to the ground and another from the ground to the science lab (or wherever)

B) fall to the ground from the command pod and jet pack back up (not possible in high-gravity)

My suggestion for a simple game fix that avoids the problem of breaking people's saves and craft files is to just allow kerbals to move from one adjacent ladder to another. Currently they can only move up and down.

Based on what I've read I think the assymetry is actually a good thing for RCS placement, given that the game currently doesn't consider optimising the controls to get maximum RCS efficiency - you need to place them at 90 degree angles to the top, bottom and sides for maximum thrust.

Edited by THX1138

My recommendation is actually to not change it, for exactly the reason you cited:

Based on what I've read I think the assymetry is actually a good thing for RCS placement, given that the game currently doesn't consider optimising the controls to get maximum RCS efficiency - you need to place them at 90 degree angles to the top, bottom and sides for maximum thrust.

I seem to recall reading that this was a conscious decision by the devs, but I can't provide a reference.

The weird thing is that the Mk1-2 pod is the only pod where they offset the hatch & ladder. It seems, to me, that the solution is to similarly offset the ladder & hatch positions on the hitchhiker, Mk2 lander can, and MPL (basically, all the crew-carrying 2.5m parts). That way, the ladders on all these parts will line up when stacked, which seems to me where the real issue is.

Doing it only on the CM is just stupid.

You could turn the pod, and if having your navball rotated right is important, add a probe core or a docking port on top (rotated right of course). Make sure you choose "Control from here" on it!

Or turn the parts below it to match it.

Yes, everything the others have said (rotate the pod or other parts to fit, don't change the pod) plus Shift-WASD enables you to move between ladders in different directions. If you're having problems add slightly-angled ladders or ladder segments to 'guide' the Kerbals. Or just EVA, you aren't going far.

(What I'd rather see is something like Connected Living Spaces and Ship Manifest (alternatives are available) direct-movement of Kerbals through internal parts of the ship without having to EVA at all.)

Yes, everything the others have said (rotate the pod or other parts to fit, don't change the pod) plus Shift-WASD enables you to move between ladders in different directions. If you're having problems add slightly-angled ladders or ladder segments to 'guide' the Kerbals. Or just EVA, you aren't going far.

(What I'd rather see is something like Connected Living Spaces and Ship Manifest (alternatives are available) direct-movement of Kerbals through internal parts of the ship without having to EVA at all.)

I just tried using Shift + W and all it does is make him look over to the side - he doesn't actually move across.

The shift+w thing also rotates parts in the editor ;)

Also, Kerbals are able to move to ladders that are next to the ladder they are on, it's a little tricky at times but they can do it, you can use the small ladder pieces to make a curved path for them to follow as well.

The shift+w thing also rotates parts in the editor ;)

The only problem with this is that I've seen it get a little screwy with part alignment of subsequent parts.

Also, Kerbals are able to move to ladders that are next to the ladder they are on, it's a little tricky at times but they can do it, you can use the small ladder pieces to make a curved path for them to follow as well.

The whole point of this thread is that we shouldn't have to do this! a brilliant work-around for a problem that doesn't need to exist in the first place.

Edited by LethalDose

I just tried using Shift + W and all it does is make him look over to the side - he doesn't actually move across.

Oops, you're right - should have been "Shift-WASD + space", ie; it's 'look this way and jump!'

The only problem with this is that I've seen it get a little screwy with part alignment of subsequent parts.

use a different part as root and add the pod afterwards, rotate as needed. Rotating the root part screws up the axis parts are spawned on and symmetrized around. Agreed that the design of the pod is annoying considering it's almost always mated to one of the many 2.5m parts that have ladders down the center line.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.