Continue game when alt + tab'd out

I thought I made a thread about this already but can't find it in my list of threads. Is it possible to make the game continue whilst alt + tab'd out? In particular, both loading of levels and interplanetary transfer would be less unpleasant (time warp set to maximum, my ship and planet just crawling along).

which can be accessed through the launcher.

Or, in case the launcher doesn't work (opens KSP as background process etc), set up a shortcut to point to your KSP.exe with -popwindow appended to the end of the target location. For reference, this is mine:

"H:\Games and software\Kerbal Space Program (235)\KSP.exe" -popupwindow

But obviously you'd have to change the location to match your own installation, like for Steam it'd be

"H:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe" -popupwindow

I play fullscreen for performance reasons, and I agree that it would be nice to Alt-Tab to something else while it does the lengthy loading process. Unfortunately, as you've discovered, the game stops progressing in either loading or game play if you do so.

A workaround I've been using is Alt-Enter. It forces KSP into windowed mode, and if you select another window without minimizing it the game will continue to load/run. Selecting the KSP window and pressing Alt-Enter again puts the game back into fullscreen mode.

IIRC Alt-Tabbing out worked in 0.23, but something in 0.23.5 broke it. (It must have worked, otherwise why would there be a 'Simulate in Background' option in settings?)

I wonder if this might get unbroken in 0.24? We can but hope.

EDIT: Thanks for the 'Alt-Enter' tip Red Iron Crown, I'll have to try that with my next ion probe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.