[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

I realize the bombs are inaccurate for a reason.

But it's not just me who finds them wildly inaccurate since 8.0, right? There's no consistency.

I've spent the the half hour trying to bomb a single target, and every time the bombs either fell way short or overshot by a wide margin.

And compensating doesn't help, at all.

When bombs overshot, I released earlier. Bombs still kept overshooting by the same distance, or they would fall massively short.

When bombs fell short, I released later. Bombs started overshooting.

Maybe I just suck at it, but... right now, it feels like the only way to accurately bomb a single target is to carpet bomb a square kilometre area. Eliminating "accurate".

EDIT: Rather, not so much the bombs, but the targeting reticule. But y'all knew what I meant, right?

EDIT DUO: I'll have to add, before people think I'm too negative, that I think the rest of the mod is spot-on. It's just the mk.82 bombs being frustratingly inconsistent, and not-fun.

Did you do a fresh install of BDA? There are crucial changes to part configs. With 1.0 aero, bombs were unpredictable since it depended on their orientation during flight, so I turned off their drag model and use a simple one (like old aero) and use the same equations for predicting where they'll land. Its perfectly accurate in my testing.

I don't know if it is just me but somehow the new turret won't work.

I can aim and everything but when I shoot nothing happens.

Did you equip 30mm ammo?

The fire rate and recoil of the Mantis turret are not correct, can this get fixed?

What's a Mantis turret?

Can someone better explain how to use the AI system (I mean the like the steer dampening and what not)

I'll make a tutorial later.

I think for some reason that when the AI is not destroyed but the plane it is mounted on becomes unflyable, it is locking up the player's aircraft too until it either crashes into the ground or becomes unmarked as a target (which would coincide with both cases).

Interesting.. I'll give it a look. (Didn't happen during testing yet)

I noticed that the small high-explosive warhead doesnt have an actiongroup thing for detonation, is that intended?

They're impact detonated only.

Edited by BahamutoD

@Baha:

Mantis is an CIWS turret from Germany, able to shoot a RPG in flight and looks just like the Oerlikon turret:

image_popup.jpg

EDIT: The manufacturer Rheinmetall produces both, Oekerlion and Mantis CIWS :D

EDIT2: Oekerlion and Mantis are the same... Mantis is just the codename for Oekerlion in the German Army, I think

EDIT3(I should read everything first and THEN writ my comment :D ): So, this time i think everything is right: So Oekerlion was a swiss company, purchased by rehinmetall, then called rheinmetall AirDefense. They produced the Millenium turret before taken over by rheinmetall, who, were contracted by the Bundeswehr to develop the Mantis, wich is an improved Millenium turret.

Edited by JD_Tiger

Did you do a fresh install of BDA? There are crucial changes to part configs. With 1.0 aero, bombs were unpredictable since it depended on their orientation during flight, so I turned off their drag model and use a simple one (like old aero) and use the same equations for predicting where they'll land. Its perfectly accurate in my testing.

I'll see if other mods aren't interfering somehow.

But, yeah. When 1.0.x rolled around, I had no mods installed, so it's unlikely the mk.82 configs didn't get overridden with the correct changes.

Rocket auto fire seems to have gone wrong. Please check.

When I switch from S8KOM to Hydra, Hydra does not go off, and vice versa. I checked clearance and it is ok.

Is it possible to make a turret mount (with each axis) so it works like BDarmory turrets, only you can attach stuff to them? So you can construct your own turrets then aim them with mouse

Okay, had a look.

Might have been a mod interfering. Maybe. The bombs are certainly landing more accurately now.

List of mods:

USILS 0.1.0

Kerbal Alarm Clock 3.3.0.1

AeroGUI v2

Kerbal Inventory System 1.1.0

Stage Recovery 1.5.5

Kerbal Foundries 1.8g

Kerbal Engineer 1.0.16.5

5DIM Military Contract Pack

In my mind, the two bold ones seem likely.

Maybe there's a Module Manager config gone wrong in the Contracts pack, or maybe Stage Recovery is mucking up things.

... or maybe I just sucked so completely hard that the game just went "You don't deserve this.".

I'll try more extensive testing later on.

Im working on some more damage tweaks now that new heat system has been released.

I think its actually time to get rid of the whole chance to destroy part, especially for the flak gun. With heat, especially now that it doesnt dissapear as quickly, we can actually have a sort of HP system. Biggest change from my experience is the whole thermal mass concept and heat conduction. This will (in my opinion) make the whole armoring scheme more interesting, and will also make explosions more balanced/interesting. Im actually looking at making explosions very lethal for large bombs but also less likely to obliterate entire craft. Hopefully i can make it so that a good bomb will do catastrophic damage to the exterior, but not completely wipe out the whole craft, unless it happens to be a very large bomb.

Its gonna take some balancing (and i doubt ill be able to get the values correct right off the bat), but i think the new damage im working on will be superior to what is implemented now in stock. I will post some pics lateron to show you what it looks like, and if you think its good ill post the actual code so you can merge it.

once again, great mod! i love playing the new update!

two things though: all guns (including fixed ones) have a slider, which is also visible while playing showing "MinPitch" ranging from 500-3500. It doesn't really seem to do something, might be some kind of bug...

And more important the reticles of both the vulcan and the Gau are not properly working! sometimes they do not appear at all and sometimes they are displayed exactly on top of the muzzle of the respective gun (i.e. also if viewed from the side). I was able to recreate that in various different scenarios.

Only other mod i use is your improved chasecam mod.

Fixed the tweakable slider issue.

I couldn't reproduce the reticle issue with the fixed guns. Could you send me a stock+bda craft where this happens?

Okay, had a look.

Might have been a mod interfering. Maybe. The bombs are certainly landing more accurately now.

List of mods:

USILS 0.1.0

Kerbal Alarm Clock 3.3.0.1

AeroGUI v2

Kerbal Inventory System 1.1.0

Stage Recovery 1.5.5

Kerbal Foundries 1.8g

Kerbal Engineer 1.0.16.5

5DIM Military Contract Pack

In my mind, the two bold ones seem likely.

Maybe there's a Module Manager config gone wrong in the Contracts pack, or maybe Stage Recovery is mucking up things.

I know 5DIM does module manager configs to change BDArmory tech nodes - maybe it's changing the MissileLauncher module when it shouldn't.

Im working on some more damage tweaks now that new heat system has been released.

I think its actually time to get rid of the whole chance to destroy part, especially for the flak gun. With heat, especially now that it doesnt dissapear as quickly, we can actually have a sort of HP system. Biggest change from my experience is the whole thermal mass concept and heat conduction. This will (in my opinion) make the whole armoring scheme more interesting, and will also make explosions more balanced/interesting. Im actually looking at making explosions very lethal for large bombs but also less likely to obliterate entire craft. Hopefully i can make it so that a good bomb will do catastrophic damage to the exterior, but not completely wipe out the whole craft, unless it happens to be a very large bomb.

Its gonna take some balancing (and i doubt ill be able to get the values correct right off the bat), but i think the new damage im working on will be superior to what is implemented now in stock. I will post some pics lateron to show you what it looks like, and if you think its good ill post the actual code so you can merge it.

Cool. Looking forward to it. The explosions already do ray casting so that damage doesn't penetrate past what is visible to the explosion. So maybe values just need to be tweaked (and whatever thermal stuff you want to do)

---

With the new missile aero and drag, the AAM's currently included don't really pick up enough energy to be useful as SAMs, so I'll include a couple dedicated SAMs in the next release. They will need a couple rounds of balancing and testing by you all too.

Edited by BahamutoD

Hi Bahamuto.

Is there any way to enable Missile Guidance with my own cruise missile, after i drop them from the plane or other vehicle? Even though they have their own probe and guidance system, it seems they don't remember their tracking settings.

Just an update guys i have gotten spanner's boomsticks mostly up to spec but have one very serious (if hilarious) bug i need to fix so i need a bit longer then i will either post it on the old thread or start a new one

What do i have to change, if i want the Guardmode to engage with turrets like in grounded mode, when mounted on a flying craft (atm it only engages when closer then 500 metres, which is a bit close)?

What do i have to change, if i want the Guardmode to engage with turrets like in grounded mode, when mounted on a flying craft (atm it only engages when closer then 500 metres, which is a bit close)?

You can't at the moment. It'll be fixed in the next update.

I found a bug I think?

Tirrets cannot destroy heat shields for the life of them

Not a bug.

The damage inflicted by the weapons is heat based. (incidentally, press F10, and be shot at. Health indicators!)

So the heat shield, being very resistant to heat, takes little to no damage.

Hi Bahamuto.

Is there any way to enable Missile Guidance with my own cruise missile, after i drop them from the plane or other vehicle? Even though they have their own probe and guidance system, it seems they don't remember their tracking settings.

It should work. How are you launching it?

Sometimes the small high explosive warhead doesnt explode on impact with other vessels, is that an impact tolerance issue or am i doing it wrong?

Edited by Kowalskicore
redundant information was redundant.

I do have Hyperedit and the DMP client installed, so is it possible that one of them is conflicting with the mod, creating the bug I previously described?

Or could it be that my aircraft use rover seats rather than proper cockpits?

If you need me to, I can try to replicate it again several times.

It should work. How are you launching it?

Well i have missiles attached through radial decouplers under the plane wings. Each missile has guidance system.

Before i launch missile, i choose missile guidance mode[cruise or AGM]. Then i launch the missile. I tried either with "control from here" on probe, or just from plane control. Neither will work.

Oh and i don't switch to missile after i decouple it.

Well i have missiles attached through radial decouplers under the plane wings. Each missile has guidance system.

Before i launch missile, i choose missile guidance mode[cruise or AGM]. Then i launch the missile. I tried either with "control from here" on probe, or just from plane control. Neither will work.

Oh and i don't switch to missile after i decouple it.

Do you enable the guidance before, after, or at the same time as decoupling the missile?

It should work if you decouple, activate engine, and activate guidance all in one action group.

Do you enable the guidance before, after, or at the same time as decoupling the missile?

It should work if you decouple, activate engine, and activate guidance all in one action group.

Well i activate it before, but your method works great. Thank you!