[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

BahamutoD,​ Thank you for your help! When I drive this craft:

http://s7.hostingkartinok.com/uploads/images/2015/05/c7463c103368673421a017e7ad1f3789.png

The guard chooses the .50cal Turret instead of M230. But M230 is stronger and the target is right in front of my vessel.

Try this: Tweak the .50cal's yaw range to be 180 or less. The guard checks to see if the target is within the gimbal limits of the turret. This way, if the target is in front, the guard should pick the m230 instead of the .50cal.

Try this: Tweak the .50cal's yaw range to be 180 or less. The guard checks to see if the target is within the gimbal limits of the turret. This way, if the target is in front, the guard should pick the m230 instead of the .50cal.

Thanks.

Also, another question: can guard use two or more guns at the same time? Can I use some gun at the same time when the guard uses another? If no, could you add these functions in the future?

Edited by MrKerbMan

Hello Again!

I couldn't find that "muzzleTransform" GameObject in the example turret. So i'm not 100% sure how to make fire animations for my turrets. Could you elaborate more on this?

I only know that i have to use a KSP Particle Emitter. However, any specifics?

I'm very new to Unity and i've never used particles before, Hopefully this goes well.

Thanks!

ive got a bit of a commission... ihave a model, and i have just got into moding, using game model rips, and i would like to turn my model of the warthog machinegun into a functional weapon, 360 decrees with increasing rof, i would do this my self but i have only just got into modding and dont need any more dificuly, and for thouse interedsted here is the mod it is for https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/793/kduffers%20Korp%20halo%20WIP

Is there a way to configure the fire button per part? I see the settings config for the overall fire button in the root.

I would like to use the joystick for firing guns on planes - however switching back to turrets I would like to still use the mouse.

Does this work with 1.0.2? because i'm getting an absolute crap ton of problems with the VAB ever since I installed it, but this may also be a stock glitch because I made a custom category right before it all happened, I'd just like to know if others have had this problem.

should be fully compatible if your having bugs reinstall and check for conficts

Can somebody teach me how to use the AI Pilot system? I want to commit a large dogfight, but all I've gotten was the AI planes smashing into the ground or water.

In addition to increasing the altitude make sure your planes are very maneuverable the AI is not as capable of turning as a human pilot in the same aircraft so making very maneuverable planes is a must. Try for a PWR of greater than 1 as well.

EnterElysium has made a video where he did a 6v7 dogfight. It is pretty epic!

Agreed and notice the maneuverability he gave to the aircraft with the thrust pod things. This was needed to get such a coherent battle without it they would have likely fallen out of the sky

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Baha I'm people are telling me my spanner's port isn't working due to the turret glitch returning. Is it possible that when they install the files BDArmory is automatically adding a blank animation for the deploy-animation instead of keeping my "none" setting? I double checked and the files do work on my system and I uploaded the correct ones so I'm really rather confused here.

In addition to increasing the altitude make sure your planes are very maneuverable the AI is not as capable of turning as a human pilot in the same aircraft so making very maneuverable planes is a must. Try for a PWR of greater than 1 as well.

I've found the AI piloting (even with super-maneuverable craft and all altitude settings at max) to nose dive pretty consistently with FAR installed.

One major other problem I'm having - SAMs stick to their missile rail when running in Guard mode and not on the currently focused craft (see my video below at the 30 second mark)

notice the maneuverability he gave to the aircraft with the thrust pod thing. This was needed to get such a coherent battle without it they would have likely fallen out of the sky

Why exactly is that needed? I've been dogfighting without them and most of the time, its fine.

Can you please explain? I suddenly feel like I've been doing things the hard way.

Why exactly is that needed? I've been dogfighting without them and most of the time, its fine.

Can you please explain? I suddenly feel like I've been doing things the hard way.

The primary reason as he mentioned in the video is for them to work better with burn together. However the extra maneuverability helps a lot with the AI. I have found that with default settings the AI is... More cautious than a human player and less willing to make turns in general. I have planes that I can do full loop da loops in but the AI can only manage a lazy 5km Radius turn that results in it unloading. Increasing the turn authority or whatever the setting is on the AI pod helps a lot but having a maneuverable and high thrust aircraft helps the most and makes the AI a true opponent if done properly.

- - - Updated - - -

I've found the AI piloting (even with super-maneuverable craft and all altitude settings at max) to nose dive pretty consistently with FAR installed.

One major other problem I'm having - SAMs stick to their missile rail when running in Guard mode and not on the currently focused craft (see my video below at the 30 second mark)

The Sam issue sounds like the missile not properly calculating decouple force for the non active vessel. But since the Air to air missiles work fine that just seems odd.

As for the nose diving I'd say this. Don't use FAR. The mod is based around the stock aero so I'm guessing the AI just becomes confused. Possibly it thinks its flying level when going down or something.

@Prometheus: Ahhh.... that makes sense. If you don't use Burn Together, its not that mandatory then. On the subject of AI Settings, can you please explain the settings? I just leave it alone except for the altitude setting.

@Prometheus: Ahhh.... that makes sense. If you don't use Burn Together, its not that mandatory then. On the subject of AI Settings, can you please explain the settings? I just leave it alone except for the altitude setting.

No it is not mandatory by any means it just helps

There is a setting for minimum altitude which for a dogfight should be 2000m or greater

Then there is one for control authority which should be tweaked for any particular aircraft as a. Ore maneuverable one will spin out of control with too high of a setting and a less maneuverable one will turn like an oil tanker of it doesn't crash fist

And finally I think there is one for maximum altitude which should be about two kilometers higher than your min height

I think there's the third slider anyway I can't remember and am sick and haven't eaten for two days so don't expect me to be 100% accurate

Edited by LORDPrometheus

Hey Bahamuto, I'm having this really odd problem with the smart guard. So what happens is Ill go into the weapons menu and set up the smart guard and everything, but then after a few seconds the weapons selector will automatically select no weapons activated for some reason I currently do not understand. Could you help me out please?

Hey Bahamuto, I'm having this really odd problem with the smart guard. So what happens is Ill go into the weapons menu and set up the smart guard and everything, but then after a few seconds the weapons selector will automatically select no weapons activated for some reason I currently do not understand. Could you help me out please?

Smart guard should select its own weapons for the scenario but also check if your running out of electric charge

Default Altitude is the altitude the aircraft will prefer flying at. If there are no targets it flies in wide circles at this height.

Min Altitude is the lowest the AI will want to go. Give a few hundred meters clearance so it can pull out of a dive.

Steer Factor is how much it will use control surfaces for maneuvering based on steer limiter (This is a total guess, maybe it uses more to get above min altitude, maybe not, maybe I'm totally wrong, I always keep it at max)

Steer Limiter limits how much it uses control surfaces by percent.

Steer Damping tweaks how soon the AI lets up on control when maneuvering, too much and it maneuvers slowly, not enough and it over-turns and needs to correct itself.

Based on my experience with the AI in no-rocket biplane dogfights over KSC.

I have an idea:

Can you try and make a TOW like missile launcher that can be guided while the rocket is in flight using the mouse curser.

it's just an idea

thank you

I was also thinking of suggesting this once. Since somebody has put this out there i might also give my input.

(Welcome to the forums! :D, by the way)

The kind of guidance the TOW missiles use is called SACLOS (Semi-Automatic Command to Line Of Sight). Since it relies on Line of Sight, the weapon (obviously) should have line of sight to the target. After launching the weapon, the player has to put the white pipper (The circle thingy that replaces your mouse when you activate a weapon in flight) on the target and the missile SHOULD pick the SHORTEST path to the white pipper.

The missile also requires some sort of connection to the firing platform. The TOW does this through a wire attached to the firing platform and in other weapons such as the 9M133 Kornet ride a laser beam pointing directly to a target. So when this connection gets cut off somehow (Like when the TOW missile's wire is cut off and the 9M133 Kornet's laser beam is interrupted) the missile will go wherever it wants. I haven't done much research on the Kornet and i'm not sure, but the Kornet should ride the laser beam once it re-detects it. The TOW, obviously not, as the wire is actually cut.

This would make REALLY good ATGMs, using AGMs like the Hellfire on my tanks is really annoying, and they have no short range capability. The lack of this also makes it impossible to make nice and effective missile-based tank destroyers. Guns for tank destroyers are overrated!

If you don't know what to model the TOW's firing platform after, Here is a suggestion. Basically, the missile would be launched from the turret-type launcher on the left of the picture.

This is just a suggestion though, thanks for taking the time to read this!

On a completely different note. I'm still having a problem with my custom turret. I want my turret to have muzzle flash yet when i use muzzleTransform, with KSPParticleEmitters or not, it won't load. My turrets can only currently work without muzzleTransform.

Thanks!

For the AI (also anyone who had questions about AI setup), try setting steer factor to 15 and damping to 5. I have been able to get all different kinds of planes to fly fine with AI in FAR. It sounds like you may have turned steer damping too high. What steer damping does is it applies input to counter angular velocity. You need it so that the plane will slow it's rotation as it gets close to the attitude it wants, otherwise it will keep overshooting and overadjusting. If it's too high, the plane will try to slow its rotation down as soon as it starts turning so it will never pull any Gs. 5 seems to be a good value for most planes.

As for the missiles sticking - I'll see if I can get it to work more consistently (its a KSP issue with load ranges) but for now try increasing the phys range.

If guards don't have a target, or don't have a weapon to match a target, it will disengage and select None until it finds a suitable weapon-target match.

On a completely different note. I'm still having a problem with my custom turret. I want my turret to have muzzle flash yet when i use muzzleTransform, with KSPParticleEmitters or not, it won't load. My turrets can only currently work without muzzleTransform.

Thanks!

Post a screenshot of your turret's hierarchy with the muzzleTransform selected, and then run KSP with that setup and post your output log. I'll try to see what's wrong.

Agreed and notice the maneuverability he gave to the aircraft with the thrust pod things. This was needed to get such a coherent battle without it they would have likely fallen out of the sky

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Baha I'm people are telling me my spanner's port isn't working due to the turret glitch returning. Is it possible that when they install the files BDArmory is automatically adding a blank animation for the deploy-animation instead of keeping my "none" setting? I double checked and the files do work on my system and I uploaded the correct ones so I'm really rather confused here.

RCS isn't necessary for the AI, and it won't really help much. Control surfaces apply way more force than any RCS can. EE only used them to help planes stay in formation with BurnTogether.

No, there's no way BDArmory is adding animations to turrets. If it is working on your computer but not someone else's, it means they have different files than you. Make sure they have the latest BDArmory. Remember, the fix was in an update, and if they don't have that update, it wont be fixed...

To anyone reporting a bug or issue:

I need specific details of the problem, how to reproduce it, and an output log of when it happens. Screenshots and videos can help too. Otherwise there's no way I can help.

Edited by BahamutoD