Is it just me, or is Unity 5 going to be AMAZING for KSP?

StarManta

Y'know, the big "64-bit" announcement for Unity 5... is just that the main editor will be able to run 64-bit. Unity's been compiling 64-bit versions for ages, though they've not been working quite as well as they might.

You know, I had a creeping feeling that 64-bit support for Unity 5 was not exactly what people were expecting. Of course having the editor running in 64-bit is a nice bonus for the devs, but as you said, Unity has been working with 64-bit for a while when it comes to compiling and the results have always been less than ideal. They've also had requests for the feature on their forums countless times in the past few years (even saw Harvester bring it up on there) and as of yet the call has not been answered. Personally I don't expect it to be corrected with Unity 5 as I'm not sure they actually know how to go about it, though neither would I.

With that said though the game engine industry is becoming rather crowded and the relevance of Unity will begin to plummet in time if they cannot get 64-bit working, so it SHOULD be something they are always working towards, whether it is or not is a different question. I will say however I am following a number of titles which are in early development on Unity and good few of them are running into additional complications because of this brick wall. Not to mention how wide-spread multi-threaded tech is in the consumers hands now. Unity may not compile in 64-bit successfully in its next iteration, however I do personally believe that it needs to be a fundamental goal for the near future.

I play on OS X, I understood 64 bit is only for Windows, right? I really don't care because OS X optimization is very very good. But waiting for 64 bit OS X support, even this condition perfect. Game will boost like a SRB :D

• 2 years later...
37 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I think we can all agree that U5 was definitely amazing :)

I can't agree until we get a stable version using U5.  I do think it will be eventually, but right now 1.0.5 is a better version.

This is a really really old thread btw.

Edited by Alshain

This is, indeed, an ancient thread, from a couple of years ago.  Much of the content has become irrelevant (or, at least, badly dated) due to subsequent events.

Locking the thread to prevent further confusion.  If you'd like to discuss how Unity 5 has been doing with KSP 1.1.x, feel free to jump on one of the other threads already discussing this.