SSD + KSP, best thing ever?

drew4452862

Most users report drive speed *not* helping KSP much. The loading process seems to be slowed down by something else.

KSP's performance depends mainly on your single-core speed, because the physics is single threaded. An overclocked i5 is about as fast as they come.

The load times are not slow because of the hard drive, they are slow because they load everything at launch which still takes the same amount of time but are perceived as being slower because it happens all at once.

They would have to rework the game to be load on demand (load only the parts that exist on an active flight, and then load other parts when one is added to the VAB/SPH). However they can't do that because the SPH/VAB part selection is an actual rendering as opposed to a thumbnail image, so they would have to redesign that too.

Long story short, don't count on it.

The load times are not slow because of the hard drive, they are slow because they load everything at launch which still takes the same amount of time but are perceived as being slower because it happens all at once.

They would have to rework the game to be load on demand (load only the parts that exist on an active flight, and then load other parts when one is added to the VAB/SPH). However they can't do that because the SPH/VAB part selection is an actual rendering as opposed to a thumbnail image, so they would have to redesign that too.

Long story short, don't count on it.

Parts are not a problem, they could load the planets/moons later, when you get close to them.

Just bought a Samsung Evo and it is awesome!

edit: Might just be me, got a OC i5, crossfire 6950's, and 8gb also but i would swear the ssd made it run better

I think there is very little difference personally.. Even putting KSP on a ram disk does not significantly increase loading compared to a decent hard drive. If your hd is fragmented or of the slow kind then I bet it would affect it more.

Parts are not a problem, they could load the planets/moons later, when you get close to them.

That is exactly what I think they should do as well.. Just make it load whatever is used on ships nearby and just load parts as you get close to these ships. This would not only fix load times, but would also save ALOT of ram.

An SSD isn't going to make any really significant difference to KSP. I have KSP running at home on a RAID 0 with dual SSD's, KSP running at work on a RAID 5, and KSP running on a high end laptop with a 7200 rpm "platter drive". There isn't any significant difference in performance.

Yes they do,But honestly I was actually referring my own cpu,i7 3610qm 2.3ghz (3ghz at turbo) 8 core (4 of them real but,counts as 8 ). And Im not very satisfied about my cpu's performance in ksp. I get high fps but,with the higher part counts,Performance drops significantly.

Yes they do,But honestly I was actually referring my own cpu,i7 3610qm 2.3ghz (3ghz at turbo) 8 core (4 of them real but,counts as 8 ). And Im not very satisfied about my cpu's performance in ksp. I get high fps but,with the higher part counts,Performance drops significantly.

Yeah..unless you spend a lot of money, laptops will never really provide a great gaming expereince.

And ssd's do basically nothing for the game, I lost maybe 5 seconds off of the booting time..if that.

I haven't timed it with a stopwatch or anything, but I feel that since I replaced my HDD with an SSD (I think the same one as the original post) KSP loading screens are there much, much shorter.

But that could also have to do with the fact that the disk's data-transfer speed was the worst performing part on this laptop, and I had to replace it because of the enormous amount of messages about imminent hard disk failure. . .

Like the OP I just got my first SSD yesterday, mainly cause 120GB reached my price point and in the past the cost was not worth it for ones that could barely fit Windows. I also thought it may save some time on loading KSP if nothing else. Today however, I looked at the Task Manager and realized that loading KSP is CPU bound just like most everything else in the game. But as others have said, Windows is a lot faster. At least all those crash reports will probably get saved faster ;)

KSP does seem faster in tiny bits here and there, but not enough that I would be sure unless I put a stopwatch to it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.