Allow Kerbals To Manually Open Solar Panels On Dead Vessels

How many times has this happened to you?

Launch an unmanned probe, only to have its batteries drain, and afterwards its too late to open the panels?

Well, wouldn't it be cool if instead of having to abort the flight, to have the option of launching a Kerbal up to manually open the panels? Not only would it save otherwise wasted missions, but it would add a level of difficulty and challenge, because it would make satellite rescue missions a more viable option, especially now that money is no object. Fix a satellite instead of scrap it!

So what do you guys think? Should Kerbals be able to mitten-crank open any panel on any vessel, with battery power or not?

Also a little PS: How about the ability to fix broken solar panels in the same way we can fix wheels!:)

How many times has this happened to you?

Launch an unmanned probe, only to have its batteries drain, and afterwards its too late to open the panels?

Well, wouldn't it be cool if instead of having to abort the flight, to have the option of launching a Kerbal up to manually open the panels? Not only would it save otherwise wasted missions, but it would add a level of difficulty and challenge, because it would make satellite rescue missions a more viable option, especially now that money is no object. Fix a satellite instead of scrap it!

So what do you guys think? Should Kerbals be able to mitten-crank open any panel on any vessel, with battery power or not?

Also a little PS: How about the ability to fix broken solar panels in the same way we can fix wheels!:)

I have been saying that for a few updates now. The ability to fix anything damaged on the outside of the spacecraft should be an option. I think the if a takeoff is too violent the panels should "malfunction" and you need to manually open them/ repair them. Same with lights, landing gear, rcs, anything you radially attach, even decouplers.

Kerbals have been able to open the panels for a while now. Try it out. Walk a kerbal over to a ship, and right click on the solar panel for the extend option

Came here to say this.

They can also lower ladders, as I was very happy to discover one mission :)

Yes, I'm fairly certain they can open solar panels (although there's not a crank).

Fixable panels would be nice too. I think those have been mentioned before, but that thread is probably buried.

I know they can open the solar panels on vessels that have electrical power, but can they manually open a panel on a vessel thats batteries have run dead? I landed a rover on Duna, and as I drove it toward the lander the crew came down in, it ran out of electrical power. When it finally came to a stop, I thought "ok, maybe I can walk a Kerbal over and manually extend the panel" since the rover didn't have the power to do it on its own. However the only option was to grab it, attach it, or no damage. No option to open it.

So you say they CAN open panels on vessels without power? Cuz thats what I am talking about in this thread.

However the only option was to grab it, attach it, or no damage. No option to open it.

I've seen this before. Those are Kerbal Attachment System options. They work at a longer range than most stock options (like opening solar panels).

You just weren't close enough. Get right next to the solar panel and try again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.