Kerbal Hot Rod Association (KHRA) Drag Racing

I've seen rover racing, formula racing, truck racing and I've even seen land speed records but I can find nothing on drag racing. Without further ado...

Kerbal Hot Rod Association (KHRA) Drag Racing

The challenge is simple. To create a dragster. Start at one end of the runway. Hit the gas. Take a screenshot of your F3 stats at the other end. The highest speed OVER LAND is the winner. There are two sets of categories. In the unrealistic set, your dragster may continue past the end of the runway. In the realism set, you MUST come to a complete stop before the end of the runway while remaining entirely ON the runway.

Rules

1. Your dragster must be piloted. (Command chairs do qualify.)

2. Your dragster cannot leave the runway until you reach the other end... and there you probably will.

3. Two screenshots or a video are required. One of your dragster and the second to be taken the instant you cross the end of the runway with your F3 stats showing.

4. To keep people from building insanely massive rockets, a 20 ton limit is in place for all categories with the exception of Top Fuel. If your dragster looks that heavy, you may be required to provide a screenshot for proof.

5. To keep some people from spamming engines there is a maximum of 4 engines per dragster (if the part has multiple engines on it, each 'nozzle' counts as an engine) (Top fuel is excepted from this rule).

6. Due to the massive speeds obtainable in FAR, those entries will be in a separate classification.

7. Only ONE control surface can be used and it must be in a vertical configuration.

8. Wings may be used to help keep your dragster Kerbin-bound. They should provide NO lift.

9. Standard dont's apply (no part clipping, infigliding down the runway, etc.)

10. Dual mode engines (SABRE and RAPIER) are allowed only in the rocket propulsion categories.

11. You may enter as many categories as you wish and as many times as you wish but only your top time in each category will be on the leaderboard.

12. When making a submission PLEASE put the category and speed at the top of the post so I don't have to spend a huge amount of time looking for it.

13. Losing any parts disqualifies you. Do not take my video as an example of how it's done.

14. For all stock realism classes, RealChutes mod may be used as I'm told stock chutes do not work at ground level.

Categories

Go-Carts - Uses no jets or rockets. Mods are allowed.

Stock - All parts must be stock. Only jet engines for propulsion.

Super Stock - All parts must be stock. Rocket for propulsion.

Modified - All (reasonable) mods are allowed. Only jet engines for propulsion.

Super Modified - All (reasonable) mods are allowed. Rocket engines for propulsion.

Top Fuel - Run what you brung and hope you brung enough. Any mod, any engine, any weight (please, don't bring your antimatter and Alcubierre drive to this race).

If in doubt whether a specific mod is within the rules, just ask and I'll make a judgement.

Realism Categories.

Realism rule. Your dragster must come to a complete stop before the end of the runway while remaining entirely ON the runway.

Go-Carts

Darren9 - 264 m/s - Egg beaters.

nigelxw - 112 m/s

GoSlash27 - 85 m/s - Ion power!

Stock

gm537 - 210 m/s

Super Stock

Rhomphalia - 485 m/s - using an SRB for brakes???

Modified

Super Modified

Top Fuel

Non-FAR

Michaelo90 - 1,137 m/s - How many engines???

FAR

Michaelo90 - 740 m/s with 160 engines!

Unrealistic categories

Your dragster may continue past the end of the runway.

Go-Carts

GoSlash27 - 787 m/s

Stock

gm537 - 244 m/s

Super Stock

GoSlash27 - 564 M/sec - R.I.P. Froming Kerbin!

Rhomphalia - 531 m/s - One giant engine

Tw1 - 485 m/s - 4 SRB's 12 parts. The definition of minimalist drag racing.

wireman - 316 m/s. Do insects move that fast?

Daid - 159.308 - and took out the runway lights to boot.

Modified

Darren9 - 394 m/s - Wood w/MK4 Jets

Super Modified

Darren9 - 548 m/s - Single engine

Voculus - 333m/s - Quad engine.

Fengist - 249m/s ... after MUCH trial and error.

Top Fuel

____________________________________________________________________________________________

How NOT to make a dragster.

"After the third flip, I lost control............" -Don Roberts, drag racer.

Edited by Fengist

SeVIKi2.jpg

Does this count as making the end of the runway? (I hit the light the second I took this screenshot)

If it does. This is my craft:

http://i.imgur.com/VyHOFAc.jpg

Proving it does not weight more then 20tons. Rockets only. All stock (except for Kerbal Engineer. But hope that's no problem)

It might work better with a skipper then a mainsail, as I couldn't trust all the way. And the skipper is a whole lot lighter.

http://i.imgur.com/SeVIKi2.jpg

Does this count as making the end of the runway? (I hit the light the second I took this screenshot)

If it does. This is my craft:

http://i.imgur.com/VyHOFAc.jpg

Proving it does not weight more then 20tons. Rockets only. All stock (except for Kerbal Engineer. But hope that's no problem)

It might work better with a skipper then a mainsail, as I couldn't trust all the way. And the skipper is a whole lot lighter.

I'm going to have to ask for the F3 stats and here's why. It shows distance traveled. The runway is a set length. F3 stats makes sure everyone travels approximately the same distance (within a few meters).

This was for another challenge, but I guess it would be allowed in the top fuel category.

740 m/s with FAR, and I stopped before the end of the runway :)

See my reply further down. New categories created.

- - - Updated - - -

Fengist, can we enter in multiple categories?

Yep, it's already in the rules. #11.

Edited by Fengist

Just a suggestion for the rules: Have people stop at the end of the runway, highest top speed they get up to without going of the end wins.

(or if that is too difficult for all you SRBers out there maybe add another category)

Actually, I kinda like this idea. New categories generated.

This was for another challenge, but I guess it would be allowed in the top fuel category.

740 m/s with FAR, and I stopped before the end of the runway :)

Added this to the new 'realism' category. 160 engines? That had to take a while to build.

Edited by Fengist

Super Modified

I struggled with the B9 and stock wheels, and couldn't get anything to the end of the runway. I settled on TT Modular wheels, which are really slick, because they will still roll, while tucked in, much like an A10 Warthog, or B17 Flying Fortress. At any rate, I wasn't able to go all that fast, but I did what I could, in spite of KSP now automatically cutting the throttle at the end of the runway. :huh: Not cool, Squad.

There are two dual-nozzle engines in the rear, and the craft weighs in at nine and a half tons.

screenshot291.png?psid=1

Top speed was 333 m/s

screenshot294.png?psid=1

Super Modified

I struggled with the B9 and stock wheels, and couldn't get anything to the end of the runway. I settled on TT Modular wheels, which are really slick, because they will still roll, while tucked in, much like an A10 Warthog, or B17 Flying Fortress. At any rate, I wasn't able to go all that fast, but I did what I could, in spite of KSP now automatically cutting the throttle at the end of the runway. :huh: Not cool, Squad.

I had the same exact problems you did which is why this is a challenge ;). I ended up using the tail gear from TT (my pack is still modular multi-wheels) for the front and Firespitter helo landing gear for the rear.

I'm going to have to ask for the F3 stats and here's why. It shows distance traveled. The runway is a set length. F3 stats makes sure everyone travels approximately the same distance (within a few meters).

Ok, that sucks. Distance traveled was also on the crash screen (as it blew up after that screenshot due to the runway lights) but didn't snap that. That craft is so unstable, I don't think I will manage to get at the end of the runway again. Not sure how I could have traveled more or less distance then anyone else. As it's not as if this thing can steer or drive backwards. But your challenge, your rules.

Wasn't sure if the 4 engines rule also counts braking engines, but there was no way 3 sepratrons were going to stop the KR-2L in time.

Realism, Super Stock 485m/s

I may try to ditch the cockpits tomorrow.

Ok, that sucks. Distance traveled was also on the crash screen (as it blew up after that screenshot due to the runway lights) but didn't snap that. That craft is so unstable, I don't think I will manage to get at the end of the runway again. Not sure how I could have traveled more or less distance then anyone else. As it's not as if this thing can steer or drive backwards. But your challenge, your rules.

If you've watched my video you'll know EXACTLY that I understand about steering problems. Which is why it's a challenge. While I do believe you played by the rules, it's there to prevent someone from actually flying around, coming in for a dive and landing right at the end of the runway and grabbing a screenshot. If I allow one person to bypass the rule, even though I believe them, others will want to as well.

Wasn't sure if the 4 engines rule also counts braking engines, but there was no way 3 sepratrons were going to stop the KR-2L in time.

Realism, Super Stock 485m/s

http://youtu.be/4T9ofxCq9qU

I may try to ditch the cockpits tomorrow.

It's 4 engines max, however you wish to use them. And yea, separatons probably wouldn't do it. Did you try parachutes???

Either way, impressive run!

If you've watched my video you'll know EXACTLY that I understand about steering problems. Which is why it's a challenge. While I do believe you played by the rules, it's there to prevent someone from actually flying around, coming in for a dive and landing right at the end of the runway and grabbing a screenshot. If I allow one person to bypass the rule, even though I believe them, others will want to as well.

The Mission elapsed time could prevent that, the only clock starts when you leave the ground so a time of 0 means they haven't been flying.

It's 4 engines max, however you wish to use them. And yea, separatons probably wouldn't do it. Did you try parachutes???

Either way, impressive run!

Unfortunately, stock parachutes don't work on the ground.

The Mission elapsed time could prevent that, the only clock starts when you leave the ground so a time of 0 means they haven't been flying.

Good point, I didn't think to look at his met. I'll add him in.

Unfortunately, stock parachutes don't work on the ground.

Humm... I saw a video of a guy using them exactly for this purpose. Must have been a mod. I've never tried to use them like this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.