[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

Ok, I have 90% of Kerbin mapped. I open scansat, go into the settings, activate the resource overlay and...NOTHING happens. Ever. No matter what buttons I push I cannot see any resources for Karbonite or MKS or anything. No resources at all.

Which version of SCANsat are you using? I think you need the pre-release of v7 (minimum rc 2.3) for the ORS/MKS resources to be visible

SCANsat v7 [rc4] available here

How would one modify the existing Karbonite scanner so it can detect ORS's Ore and Aquifer resources (once they're set up)? Is it as simple as changing the 'resource' attribute in the Module section on the scanner, or is there something else I'm missing?

Got the air breather engines knocked out today, a stack nozzle and a radial on a pylon ala B9... still working out some issues setting them up KSP. I'll send them along in a day or two, when I get the gimbal and firespitter props working.. or when I give up them. :D

I'm in the same boat. Is there anyone who actually *can* see a Karbonite overlay on SCANsat maps?

You need a scansat sensor configured for ORS\Karbonite. The tooltip will say 'start resource scan'. Check the MM patch in the SCANSat thread.

On that note... Does anyone know how to allow fuel flow through the landing frame?

I figured justr adding fuelCrossFeed = True would work, but it does not seem to.

I'm just going to come back to this when it's configured for SCANsat out of the box. It's late and I just keep ping-ponging between threads.

If you are anxious to get it working with scansat right now, I just pulled this from the scansat dev thread.

1. Create a new MM config file in your Karbonite folder. You can name it anything, lets say ScanSatPatch.cfg

2. Paste the following code to the file and save

@PART[Karbonite_Antenna]:FOR[Karbonite]:NEEDS[sCANsat]

{

MODULE

{

name = SCANsat

sensorType = 262144

fov = 4

min_alt = 5000

max_alt = 750000

best_alt = 100000

scanName = Karbonite Scan

power = 0.5

}

}

Conversion while drill is active should flat out be fixed with 0.0.6

A Claw part is on a different list, not the Karbonite one ;) And that list is not being touched till Karbonite and Hollow Asteroids are both released.

On that note - my go-live for Karbonite:

1. Oceanic Harvesters (We can use the drill worst case)

2. Atmospheric Harvesters (This is next on my model list)

3. A few more tanks

Anything I am missing? Again, remember we're in scrappy startup mode - more stuff will be added (i.e. look back at the first MKS release ;))

Dunno if this is something you'd want to include in the release or not, but I took the liberty of whipping up a quick and dirty set of textures that could be used to create visually distinct Karbonite converters for different inputs and outputs (I changed the hue of the color bands). I've compiled them into a ZIP with instructions on how to make your own converter. The instructions might even be accurate, and the textures might even work! No guarantees.

Here's the ZIP: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/CustomKarboniteExtractor%20%28v1%29.zip

When this settles down a bit (like - the mod isn't even a week old from inception to release - awesome work!) it would be great to have release notes for each version so we know what is changing and in what direction.

Certainly not needed now - this is a pre-alpha experimental testing debugging releases so far, but just saying it would be great eventually (and [0.24.2] in the thread title ;) )

I need more space in my subject tho ;)

Start by exporting your total UV layout (I use .svg's from Blender)

Open your UV layout in GIMP (this will be the bottom layer of your stack, you'll probably have this hidden most of the time)

Create a new layer above your UV map layer; this will be your base 'diffuse' texture

Set up your transparency as a Layer Mask to the base/diffuse layer (do not 'apply' this, leave it as a mask)

Make an normalised Ambient Occlusion (AO) bake (in your modelling program) and then save the bake as an image

Drop your AO bake image into your stack as a separate layer above your Base/DIFF, set this layer to Multiply

Make another layer at the very top of the stack where you can draw your details

You can show and switch to the SVG/UV layer when you want to select the island shapes (wand tool), then switch to the DIFF layer with the island shape still selected

You can then draw into the Base/DIFF layer in very flat simple colours (paint bucketing using the supplied colour palette)

The AO/Multiply layer above that will automatically add shading

Leaving you to fart around in the top layer without your experiments in detailing messing up your base texture.

You can draw directly into the layer mask to set up your alpha channel (for specular) without messing up your texture

When the total image looks how you want you can export it as a .PNG (remember to hide the UV map layer before exporting)

Thank you for this!

How would one modify the existing Karbonite scanner so it can detect ORS's Ore and Aquifer resources (once they're set up)? Is it as simple as changing the 'resource' attribute in the Module section on the scanner, or is there something else I'm missing?

Those are more MKS resources :) Steal the ones from the MKS/OKS Install for a sample of how to add stuff

Got the air breather engines knocked out today, a stack nozzle and a radial on a pylon ala B9... still working out some issues setting them up KSP. I'll send them along in a day or two, when I get the gimbal and firespitter props working.. or when I give up them. :D

You had me at props... *swoon*

You need a scansat sensor configured for ORS\Karbonite. The tooltip will say 'start resource scan'. Check the MM patch in the SCANSat thread.

On that note... Does anyone know how to allow fuel flow through the landing frame?

I figured justr adding fuelCrossFeed = True would work, but it does not seem to.

Use the fuel pipes in the direction shown in my image on the previous page

If you are anxious to get it working with scansat right now, I just pulled this from the scansat dev thread.

1. Create a new MM config file in your Karbonite folder. You can name it anything, lets say ScanSatPatch.cfg

2. Paste the following code to the file and save

I'll add this file in the next patch :)

Dunno if this is something you'd want to include in the release or not, but I took the liberty of whipping up a quick and dirty set of textures that could be used to create visually distinct Karbonite converters for different inputs and outputs (I changed the hue of the color bands). I've compiled them into a ZIP with instructions on how to make your own converter. The instructions might even be accurate, and the textures might even work! No guarantees.

Here's the ZIP: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/CustomKarboniteExtractor%20%28v1%29.zip

Lemme take a look!

Nowhere right now - still very pre-release and scrappy. Anyone playing with this is playing with a shockingly green dev build.

And yet... It works extremely well regardless.

Right now I have the Karnivore Mk1, systematically draining the Mun of science and refilling as it goes. When finished, it will remain as a first stage karbonite miner/tanker. The thing is somewhat huge and working perfectly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rq7guvfue9qmq3/Screenshot%202014-07-29%2019.14.58.png

Edited by Mutifex

Nowhere right now - still very pre-release and scrappy. Anyone playing with this is playing with a shockingly green dev build.

The problem is that one mayor mod, yours actually, has deprecated Kethane and is recommending Karbonite, making it almost a dependency. Although the USI release thread does point out that Karbonite is in alpha, anyone that had both USI and Kethane installed will think that they have to replace Kethane.

With such a big mod recommending Karbonite, I think that release notes (change log) are due and necessary, if not even a proper alpha release.

I myself uninstalled Kethane and installed Karbonite in it's place, and I'm quite confused on what is working and what not. I expect the OP here to be what is actually in, but in this case I'm not sure. Also, a link to this thread from the USI one would also be nice.

Don't understand me wrong, I love how this is looking and I'm very happy to do the replacement, it's just a little confusing if you don't follow this thread daily.

The problem is that one mayor mod, yours actually, has deprecated Kethane and is recommending Karbonite, making it almost a dependency. Although the USI release thread does point out that Karbonite is in alpha, anyone that had both USI and Kethane installed will think that they have to replace Kethane.

With such a big mod recommending Karbonite, I think that release notes (change log) are due and necessary, if not even a proper alpha release.

I myself uninstalled Kethane and installed Karbonite in it's place, and I'm quite confused on what is working and what not. I expect the OP here to be what is actually in, but in this case I'm not sure. Also, a link to this thread from the USI one would also be nice.

Don't understand me wrong, I love how this is looking and I'm very happy to do the replacement, it's just a little confusing if you don't follow this thread daily.

One word of advice, saw good bye to your kethane rovers! :P

EDIT: will you have a scanner module for scansat?

Edited by Joshwoo69
suggestionssssss

HELP WANTED LIST (Opportunities for folks to volunteer to model/texture these!):

• Radial 0.625 / 1.25 / 2.5m Karbonite-powered electric generators

Hi RoverDude,

i think, this a little to much. I mean, LiquidFuel _and_ Oxydizer _and_ Monoprop _and_ ElectricEnergy out of the same stuff?

Personally, i think all processing should _use_ a _lot_ of ElectricEnergy, and making it should require lots of solar panels or _really_ heavy (100tons per megawatt) nuclear stuff.

PS: Karbonite ressource-configs for ModularFueltanks/ProceduralParts would be nice.

One word of advice, saw good bye to your kethane rovers! :P

EDIT: will you have a scanner module for scansat?

Yes

Hi RoverDude,

i think, this a little to much. I mean, LiquidFuel _and_ Oxydizer _and_ Monoprop _and_ ElectricEnergy out of the same stuff?

Personally, i think all processing should _use_ a _lot_ of ElectricEnergy, and making it should require lots of solar panels or _really_ heavy (100tons per megawatt) nuclear stuff.

PS: Karbonite ressource-configs for ModularFueltanks/ProceduralParts would be nice.

I don't think it's far fetched as we already have Kethane generators, LiquidFuel generators, etc. and I like the mechanic. Heck, even rocket engines make electricity. And combustion makes a lot more power than solar any day of the week. Downside is that you're consuming your product.

For the second bit - send me some and I can add them. Or add it to the GitHub issue tracker as a request :)

Fair points, let me see what I can do.

Luckily MFT is easy... I put these in and tested against the Rockomax X200-16 (which is slightly larger than the stock Kerbonite tank) and it was able to hold 1600 which is only slightly more than the stock Kerbonite tanks 1450. While not scientific, I think leaving it default and letting MFT calculate tank volumes works well.

@TANK_DEFINITION[Default] {
TANK {
name = Karbonite
fillable = false
}
}

@TANK_DEFINITION[Fuselage] {
TANK {
name = Karbonite
fillable = false
}
}

@TANK_DEFINITION[Structural] {
TANK {
name = Karbonite
fillable = false
}
}

@TANK_DEFINITION[ServiceModule] {
TANK {
name = Karbonite
fillable = false
}
}

@TANK_DEFINITION[Balloon] {
TANK {
name = Karbonite
fillable = false
}
}

I will work on PP later as I want to figure out a texture to make them unique (and how to define a texture) but until then you can always just use the procedural fuel tank with the above MFT config and create a procedural Kerbonite tank.

Just a quick question. Can I have this mod AND Kethane installed?

There is nothing that stops that from working. These would work together in the same way that kethane and KSP Interstellar do.. since it is the same resource system as interstellar.

Thx for the advice re: the scanner part, it appears to be working. =D I stole the ORS maps for Aquifer and Ore from MKS and rejiggered the Karbonite scanner to also detect Ore and Aquifer - the Show Hotspot buttons act like radio buttons and you can switch among them, pretty cool. ^^

Sorry if this is a repost of info already here, (its hard keeping up when we are almost to 100 pages lol)

For those using ExtraPlanentary Launchpads, but dont want Kethane, (EPL uses the Kethane Converter module to process Metal into RocketsParts, without Kethane installed the conversion wont work)

Here is a Module Manager Config to make the parts useing the Karbonite Converter Plugin that Roverdude added in the latest patch. The config adds conversion functionality to the 2 parts in the base EPL pack, and the RocketsParts Printer from Bahamuto.

This should get rid of the only dependency EPL has to kethane, (as you can get ore, and metal from MKS)

@PART[baha3dprinter]
{
MODULE
{
name = KarboniteResourceConverter
deactivateIfFull = true
deactivateIfEmpty = false
displayName = Rocket Parts Conversion
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 10
}
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Metal
rate = .5
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = RocketParts
rate = .07
}
}
}

@PART[RocketBuilder]
{
MODULE
{
deactivateIfFull = true
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 10
}
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Metal
rate = .5
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = RocketParts
rate = 0.7
}
}
}

@PART[ExWorkshop]
{
MODULE
{
deactivateIfFull = true
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 10
}
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Metal
rate = .5
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = RocketParts
rate = 0.7
}
}
}

I kept the conversion rate the same as the Kethane converter uses, (but it can obviously be tweaked)

And thanks Roverdude for the adding this Conversion module :D(its super easy to work with lol) i finally deleted Kethane from my install, as I was holding onto it due to EPL (nothing bad against Kethane itself or Majiir, just no point in having two competing systems installed, and i'm liking Karbonite more)

Edited by rabidninjawombat