[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

I would imagine so. My thinking was that, at least in the absence of other mods like MKS, Karbonite is essentially an Ore. It's just that it can also be converted in to LF/OX/MP.

I can understand that. ^^ Already enjoying these all the same.

At any rate, I'm taking a look at making the EPL detectors scan for ORS Ore using ScanSAT - results forthcoming. ^^

EDIT

I like the racing stripe on that intake. =D

The air scoop is almost done.

http://i.imgur.com/uk4d0t8.png?1

tell me what you think about that, I can still do some changes, particularly on the rear grill.

http://i.imgur.com/Zjai26R.png?1

Again, feedback is very useful to me. @RoverDude, do you have an idea about when you will need this?

No rush :) We'll have multiple releases and I have an inline intake for lauch

I would imagine so. My thinking was that, at least in the absence of other mods like MKS, Karbonite is essentially an Ore. It's just that it can also be converted in to LF/OX/MP.

I'd be careful using metal from karbonite - The Ore in EL and MKS is 100% compatible, steal that :)

Hello, RoverDude!

Thought I'd pick up the conversation (about helping out) on this thread. I have started reading the following articles:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Making_an_asset_from_start_to_finish

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Part_Modelling_Guidelines

Right now, I'm just skimming and trying to get the big picture first.

Eventually, I'll ask for a functioning example to see if I can provide anything useful.

Hello, RoverDude!

Thought I'd pick up the conversation (about helping out) on this thread. I have started reading the following articles:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Making_an_asset_from_start_to_finish

Eventually, I'll ask for a functioning example to see if I can provide anything useful.

Honestly, if you already have modeling and texturing skills, and can build a model in metric scale, our diameters are 2.4/1.25/0.625. I can happily handle the entire unity bit (I do this with WaRi on the hollow asteroids project. He makes pretty things, I make curly braces).

Hello, RoverDude!

those are pretty outdated. try this video

@RoverDude, any guidance on how to make the EPL drills behave like Karbonite drills? =) I'm pretty sure I got their scanners working like K-scanners, and the Ore/Aquifer resources from MKS appear to have been successfully stolen, so that's steps 1 and 2 out of the way...

@RoverDude, any guidance on how to make the EPL drills behave like Karbonite drills? =) I'm pretty sure I got their scanners working like K-scanners, and the Ore/Aquifer resources from MKS appear to have been successfully stolen, so that's steps 1 and 2 out of the way...

I vaguely recall there are rules for the animations on Kethane drills so we'd know the animation names. And I have a couple of animation names in the Karbonite code, so (IN THEORY) if you set the right config properties, it would just work.

(EDIT)

Unrelated note - Once we release this, I'll be encouraging folks to start publishing their own Karbonite addons (including their own threads), and as these are ready will add them to a section of the main thread. Only real rule will be... stuff should work, and should be under the same license :) That should help make things easier for people to find things for Karbonite, and give everyone some space to shine.

Thanks, nli2work!

At work currently, so reading is in, watching videos is out. Even at home, I vastly prefer to read than watch video.

I'm just getting an overview. From my skimming so far, it sounds like there's some hope. Hoping for patience and pointers.

I vaguely recall there are rules for the animations on Kethane drills so we'd know the animation names. And I have a couple of animation names in the Karbonite code, so (IN THEORY) if you set the right config properties, it would just work.

Fair enough - I'll give it a shot. Results forthcoming (later, when I'm home from work >.>)

EDIT

Am I going bonkers, or does ScanSAT come with an MM config for EPL's magnetometer? O.o I was going literally crazy trying to figure out why I had two scan buttons... looks like that work was already done.

NOW I'll look at the drills =P

Edited by Doctor Axel

No promises on the results, but I will see if I can take a crack at making the generators. (Don't put my name on the list at this time, I'll post back here if I have any success)

Also this mod has gained quite a bit of steam. Grats!

Edited by Reign Of Magic

The air scoop is almost done.

http://i.imgur.com/uk4d0t8.png?1

tell me what you think about that, I can still do some changes, particularly on the rear grill.

http://i.imgur.com/Zjai26R.png?1

Again, feedback is very useful to me. @RoverDude, do you have an idea about when you will need this?

split the buttom faces to a separate smoothing group so you don't get that darkening effect toward the lower right corner.

Interesting findings re: drilling. It seems straightforward enough to just rip out the kethane extractor module and dump in a karbonite extractor module for each of the three augers. The animation is trickier, though.

The KethaneExtractor module for the augers has two properties - HeadTransform and TailTransform - that I'm guessing have to do with animating the auger. But I'm not 100% sure how I'd use these to animate them the way Karbonite is expecting (I see deployAnimationName and drillAnimationName but I'm guessing those work a bit differently.)

Currently I'm ignoring those two properties, and the game hangs (but doesn't crash) on the loading screen when loading the augers. Thoughts? I have a sneaking suspicion that I might just want to add a "mine ore" setting to the regular Karbonite auger and leave it at that for now, but that doesn't really satisfy me >.>

I'm going to try to go off of how Accidental did his config for the augers for mining Karbonite and see if I can get them un-goofed from there...

EDIT

Missed a curly brace =P The augers happily extract ore now, which is cool. They don't animate in any way, which is somewhat less cool. Someone else might need to take the wheel on that one, I know diddly about animation.

Edited by Doctor Axel

One more. Can we have a integration with kethane ?

Kethane already has a Kethane analogue... it's called Kethane. Adding Kethane to Kethane makes no sense ;)

I'm genuinely curious, because this keeps popping up.... what exactly do you mean by 'integration with Kethane'?

Well I figured out which mod was preventing the extractor from functioning properly. Initially I thought it was Interstellar or B9 but after reinstalling the whole game and adding each mod one at a time it turns out it was Texture Replacer. Seems to have been affecting ALL ORS extractors since the ISRU refinery from KSPI also impaired. More specifically the right click menu for all components related to resource extraction and storage displayed incorrectly. Too bad too, I really liked that mod.

Edited by The Pink Ranger

Ok, so I decided to ditch KSPI for Karbonite/OKS/MKS. There was too much in KSPI that I didn't really want, besides resources. (The only thing I'll miss is the heat management, so if you know of any mods that do just that, please let me know! :wink: )

Anyway, to my point: can the KarboniteResourceConverter handle multiple outputs from Karbonite?

I'm looking to combine this with Real Fuels in my install. As such, I'd like to see if I can set up, for example, splitting Water into LiquidH2 and LiquidO2, which are both set up in Real Fuels. So, the "waste" of making Karbonite into MonoPropellant (or a number of derivatives) can be put somewhere.

Well I figured out which mod was preventing the extractor from functioning properly. Initially I thought it was Interstellar or B9 but after reinstalling the whole game and adding each mod one at a time it turns out it was Texture Replacer. Seems to have been affecting ALL ORS extractors since the ISRU refinery from KSPI also impaired. More specifically the right click menu for all components related to resource extraction and storage displayed incorrectly. Too bad too, I really liked that mod.

TextureReplacer is the bane of my existance.

Ok, so I decided to ditch KSPI for Karbonite/OKS/MKS. There was too much in KSPI that I didn't really want, besides resources. (The only thing I'll miss is the heat management, so if you know of any mods that do just that, please let me know! :wink: )

Anyway, to my point: can the KarboniteResourceConverter handle multiple outputs from Karbonite?

I'm looking to combine this with Real Fuels in my install. As such, I'd like to see if I can set up, for example, splitting Water into LiquidH2 and LiquidO2, which are both set up in Real Fuels. So, the "waste" of making Karbonite into MonoPropellant (or a number of derivatives) can be put somewhere.

Sure no issues at all with multiple resources :)

Sure no issues at all with multiple resources :)

Amazing. :) If I get a MM config that works well, I'll post back here with a link. I figure I can't be the only one crazy enough to produce realistic fuels from a "magic" do-everything resource.

It worked in the .cfg that was pinned up for Extraplanetary Launchpads - basically just define two OUTPUT_RESOURCEs. ^^

I have literally no idea how to proceed with making the EPL augers animate for Karbonite so for now I'm done with the EPL compatibility config:

// SCANNERS

@PART[Magnetometer]:FOR[Karbonite]:NEEDS[SCANsat]:NEEDS[ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads]
{

MODULE
{
name = ORSResourceScanner
resourceName = Ore
}

!MODULE[KethaneDetector]
}

@PART[OMD]:FOR[Karbonite]:NEEDS[SCANsat]:NEEDS[ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads]
{

MODULE
{
resourceName = Ore
}

MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 128
fov = 5
min_alt = 200000
max_alt = 5000000
best_alt = 1000000
scanName = Ore Scan
power = 4.0
animationName = Antenna
}

!MODULE[KethaneDetector]
!MODULE[KethaneDetectorAnimatorUnity]
!MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
}

// AUGERS

@PART[Auger]:FOR[Karbonite]:NEEDS[ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads]
{
MODULE
{
name = ORSModuleResourceExtraction
powerConsumptionLand = 10
extractionRateLandPerTon = 1
resourceName = Ore
unitName = Ore Extractor
extractActionName = Extract Ore
stopActionName = Stop Ore Extraction
resourceManaged = False
resourceToUse = ElectricCharge
}

!MODULE[KethaneExtractor]
}

@PART[SmallAuger]:FOR[Karbonite]:NEEDS[ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads]
{
MODULE
{
powerConsumptionLand = 8
extractionRateLandPerTon = 0.5
resourceName = Ore
unitName = Ore Extractor
resourceManaged = False
}

}

@PART[TinyAuger]:FOR[Karbonite]:NEEDS[ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads]
{
MODULE
{
powerConsumptionLand = 5
extractionRateLandPerTon = 0.25
resourceName = Ore
unitName = Ore Extractor
resourceManaged = False
}

}

@PART[bahaEPLXLAuger]:FOR[Karbonite]:NEEDS[BahaEPL]
{
MODULE
{
powerConsumptionLand = 5
extractionRateLandPerTon = 0.25
resourceName = Ore
unitName = Ore Extractor
resourceManaged = False
}

}

@PART[bahaEPLsmAuger]
{

MODULE
{
powerConsumptionLand = 3
extractionRateLandPerTon = 0.12
resourceName = Ore
unitName = Ore Extractor
resourceManaged = False
}

}

// SMELTERS

@PART[Smelter]
{
MODULE
{
name = KarboniteResourceConverter
deactivateIfFull = true
deactivateIfEmpty = false
displayName = Refine Ore to Metal
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Ore
rate = 0.2
}
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 15.0
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Metal
rate = 0.15
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ScrapMetal
rate = 0.04
}
}

MODULE
{
deactivateIfFull = true
displayName = Reprocess Scrap

INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ScrapMetal
rate = 0.1
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Metal
rate = 0.06
}
}

!MODULE[KethaneConverter]
}

@PART[SmallSmelter]
{
MODULE
{
deactivateIfFull = true
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Ore
rate = 0.1
}
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 7.5
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Metal
rate = 0.07
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ScrapMetal
rate = 0.02
}
}

MODULE
{
deactivateIfFull = true

INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ScrapMetal
rate = 0.05
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Metal
rate = 0.028
}
}

}

@PART[TinySmelter]
{
MODULE
{
deactivateIfFull = true
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Ore
rate = 0.05
}
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 3.75
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Metal
rate = 0.03
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ScrapMetal
rate = 0.015
}
}

MODULE
{
deactivateIfFull = true

INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ScrapMetal
rate = 0.025
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Metal
rate = 0.0125
}
}

}

// WORKSHOPS

@PART[ExWorkshop]
{
MODULE
{
deactivateIfFull = true
displayName = Make RocketParts from Metal
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Metal
rate = 0.5
}
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 15.0
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = RocketParts
rate = 0.35
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ScrapMetal
rate = 0.14
}
}

}

@PART[RocketBuilder]
{
MODULE
{
deactivateIfFull = true
displayName = Make RocketParts from Metal

INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Metal
rate = 0.1
}
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 3
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = RocketParts
rate = 0.07
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ScrapMetal
rate = 0.025
}
}

}

the only two outstanding items I can think of are

-animating the augers

-figuring out why the OMD automatically deploys, but that might be bugged in stock EPL anyway, not sure.

Let me know if anyone finds anything else. Also feel free to modify and repost as you wish, I'm just happy to get the ball rolling.

I also put together a config that 100% ignores the EPL parts and just adds ore mining and detecting to the Karbonite parts, since they're prettier to me. =P

@PART[Karbonite_Antenna]:FOR[Karbonite]:NEEDS[SCANsat]
{

MODULE
{
resourceName = Ore
}

MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 128
fov = 4
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 750000
best_alt = 100000
scanName = Ore Scan
power = 0.5
}
}

@PART[Karbonite_Ventral_Extractor_Lg]
{
MODULE
{
powerConsumptionLand = 10
extractionRateLandPerTon = 1
resourceName = Ore
unitName = Ore Extractor
resourceManaged = False
}
}

Credit due to AccidentalDisassembly, from whom I may or may not have jacked a considerable portion of his config and just find-replaced Karbonite with Ore.

Edited by Doctor Axel