[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

I feel as of the PropFan is under powered and unbalanced. one of the things that bugs me is that at full thrust they couldn't keep my joool collector plane flying and that they overheated and exploded at full throttle.

I feel as of the PropFan is under powered and unbalanced. one of the things that bugs me is that at full thrust they couldn't keep my joool collector plane flying and that they overheated and exploded at full throttle.

Try with the next release.

Speaking of which:

0.0.9 is up!

• Better texture reuse
  • Fixed missing sounds
  • Fixed issue with stack jet engine starting activated (Yikes!)
  • Engine balancing
  • New antenna (less ugly, includes a DOS prompt)

Your dropbox still shows 0.0.8 for me

Whoops - had it paused while I worked in Unity, give it a minute or two.

- - - Updated - - -

for some reason im not getting any ScoopedAir for the engines, i know they have their own intakes but their not getting any ScoopedAir so they wont work :(

Which engines are you using? And the usual questions :) Did you clear out your UmbraSpaceIndustries\Karbonite folder before adding in the current version?

The thrust should be closer to the Turbofan. I'm not sure why I was thinking of them as turboprop when they actually are closer to turbofans. :) morning brain fart I suppose.

I figure the PropFan should have a little less thrust than Turbofan, but about 30% better ISP.

550kN for PropFan and 599 for Turbofan.

could be awesome if new engines could use " intaket atmosfere" from interstellar too( or could be swiched between intaked air and scooped air)

Sure, I'll likely just switch over at some point, was not aware they already had an analogue.

- - - Updated - - -

The thrust should be closer to the Turbofan. I'm not sure why I was thinking of them as turboprop when they actually are closer to turbofans. :) morning brain fart I suppose.

I figure the PropFan should have a little less thrust than Turbofan, but about 30% better ISP.

550kN for PropFan and 599 for Turbofan.

Ping me with a new config if you have one :)

- - - Updated - - -

Quick reply to thread

Being silly, I have conspired to accidentally delete a ton of PMs... so if you sent me links to parts that you do not yet see in Karbonite, please resend them :P

Ok just one more thing I promise.

If you have created some custom content for Karbonite (new configs, etc.) and want to SHARE (which is awesome by the way)

Please PM me a link to your own forum thread (you probably want to start off in DEV) and I will link these in the OP. That way your stuff does not get lost in the main thread, but also gets tons of visibility. Once we go to release, I'll keep a list of dev threads and release threads.

Thanks!

Whoops - had it paused while I worked in Unity, give it a minute or two.

- - - Updated - - -

Which engines are you using? And the usual questions :) Did you clear out your UmbraSpaceIndustries\Karbonite folder before adding in the current version?

i tried all the atmosphere engines and none of them get ScoopedAir, and yes i did clear the UmbraSpaceIndustries and ORS before adding the new version,

also, the scoop doesnt work either for me.

i tried all the atmosphere engines and none of them get ScoopedAir, and yes i did clear the UmbraSpaceIndustries and ORS before adding the new version,

also, the scoop doesnt work either for me.

More questions. Does regular Karbonite extraction work? Do you get context menus (i.e. are they showing a flow of 0?) What planet are you trying this on? Can you show me a screenshot?

Is there any chance to get depletion on resource ?

Cause as it is now, I don't see the benefit of finding the best spot and get the best of them, unless you are in a rush (despite there is no real pressure as there is no opponent), just dig 10m away the launchpad, timewarp, store somewhere, and do it again and again.

I think IMHO there should be only rare and small deposits on Kerbin (background story: drop there by asteroids, like the Iridium on Earth), and as it may be (very) valuable, kerbals would be motivated to spend time and funds to grab more of it elsewhere in their system.

Is there any chance to get depletion on resource ?

Cause as it is now, I don't see the benefit of finding the best spot and get the best of them, unless you are in a rush (despite there is no real pressure as there is no opponent), just dig 10m away the launchpad, timewarp, store somewhere, and do it again and again.

I think IMHO there should be only rare and small deposits on Kerbin (background story: drop there by asteroids, like the Iridium on Earth), and as it may be (very) valuable, kerbals would be motivated to spend time and funds to grab more of it elsewhere in their system.

Unfortunately that's a very hefty change to how ORS works. Personally, I take the opposite tack. Karbonite is relatively common - Eve has oceans of the stuff, Jool (formerly the most useless planet ever) is made up of the stuff. Nobody cares on Kerbin because it's so much heavier than liquid fuel, so it's not a valuable commodity. But it's incredibly useful for space exploration and ISRU.

Think of Karbonite less as some new, amazing thing and more of taking advantage of something that's plentiful on location vs. shipping expensive LiquidFuel from Kerbin. the price being the mass, the need to do local (surface-based) refinery, and it's low ISP for engines that use the stuff.

(Edit to avoid double post)

What I would add, is that anyone is welcome to code a change for that. I don't mean that in a 'if you don't like it do it yourself' way, but rather quite the opposite. The entire point of Karbonite is to serve as a starting point for people to change, mash-up, and extend what it does and give us more options.

Heck, that's what I really hope happens, and it's why I want to link to everyone's Karbonite-inspired and derived works, because one size does not fit all. I just have to remain true to the vision of the basic (and relatively simple) base product.

Edited by RoverDude

first i get the flameout effects ike on the stock engines, then this

http://imgur.com/woFBVr2

also, it apears drilling doesnt work either, the drill deploys and all, but it doesnt fill the tanks

http://imgur.com/01mVDxg

and this is on kerbin

This is pretty much exactly what I see when folks either use KSP-I and have a differing DLL, or did not delete out the entire Karbonite and ORS folders before replacing it with my stuff. I know you said you did do this, but can you please double check? Because that's exactly the what causes what I see on your screen.

This is pretty much exactly what I see when folks either use KSP-I and have a differing DLL, or did not delete out the entire Karbonite and ORS folders before replacing it with my stuff. I know you said you did do this, but can you please double check? Because that's exactly the what causes what I see on your screen.

i tried and it still doesnt work :(

Unfortunately that's a very hefty change to how ORS works. Personally, I take the opposite tack. Karbonite is relatively common - Eve has oceans of the stuff, Jool (formerly the most useless planet ever) is made up of the stuff. Nobody cares on Kerbin because it's so much heavier than liquid fuel, so it's not a valuable commodity. But it's incredibly useful for space exploration and ISRU.

Think of Karbonite less as some new, amazing thing and more of taking advantage of something that's plentiful on location vs. shipping expensive LiquidFuel from Kerbin. the price being the mass, the need to do local (surface-based) refinery, and it's low ISP for engines that use the stuff.

(Edit to avoid double post)

What I would add, is that anyone is welcome to code a change for that. I don't mean that in a 'if you don't like it do it yourself' way, but rather quite the opposite. The entire point of Karbonite is to serve as a starting point for people to change, mash-up, and extend what it does and give us more options.

Heck, that's what I really hope happens, and it's why I want to link to everyone's Karbonite-inspired and derived works, because one size does not fit all. I just have to remain true to the vision of the basic (and relatively simple) base product.

:) I see.

To avoid either to cut & paste this or rewrite it again and again, you would put it on the first page. I like this attitude, what a change :), it may be good to find someone to be able to do it (rarity instead of a large abundance), just for people who want this way.

no i havnt updated from .24 yet, why?

Well now. This would be pretty much why the subject line of this post says 0.24.2.

This mod does not work in 0.23.x or even 0.24.0 for that matter because Squad changed the API.

ok I've put a particle collector on a ship with a fuel tank. orbiting at between 70 and 71k around kerbin. I've toggled the resource to Karbonite and accelerated time... flow on collector shows 0.0000.

done the same think on jool @ around 137km... still no flow...

what am i doing wrong?

ok I've put a particle collector on a ship with a fuel tank. orbiting at between 70 and 71k around kerbin. I've toggled the resource to Karbonite and accelerated time... flow on collector shows 0.0000.

done the same think on jool @ around 137km... still no flow...

what am i doing wrong?

1. Do you have EC?

2. Can you collect Karbonite on the ground?

3. Are you using the latest version (to include overwriting any ORS install and removing ORS and Karbonite beforehand

4. Are you on KSP 0.24.2?