[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

When I deploy any of the included drills my game instantly drops in FPS and the menu for the drills has no retract button. Also no information is being displayed about the drills. When in the VAB they deploy and retract just fine.

[h=1][/h]KSP: 0.24.2

Karbonite: v0.3.2.1

The FPS drop is likely caused by "Rapidly Filling Log Syndrome" check your install.

Edit. Wow looks like the forums puked and lost some posts.

Edited by Donziboy2

Concentrations are planetary crust only - oceanic and atmospheric are absolute.

Ah, I see. Thank you for the quick response, RoverDude. I appreciate it (btw, finally found the compatible plugin for KAS, so I can now make workable fuel depots and a station around the Mun [well... once I get MechJeb, since I can't rendezvous for the life of me])

okay, got a rover sized scanner unit done, half cube sized like the portaDrill. will get pics of it tomorrow. I'll do a toolkit type of thing since you eventually plan to include repair mechanism; and a analyzer/science type of thing as well. They all use existing texture sheets from Karbonite because I'm lazy. :) also because there are a good variety of texture sheets I know I can pull from in Karbonite.

related to the analyze/science type of thing, another way of dealing with the rare UberKarbonite stuff. Again surface detectable only; but to detect the availability and abundancy of it, you perform science experiment at a hotspot which returns existance and abundancy of the rare UberKarbonite stuff. There could be an orbital analyzer that gives a global availability of the Uber stuff per celestial body... so players don't waste time testing hot spots on a planet that doesn't have the Uber-stuff at all. I don't know if this is possible, all I know is KSPI has those science analyzer things that returns resource abundancy in air and oceans. not sure if those are doable for crustal resources or not.

Edited by nli2work

okay, got a rover sized scanner unit done, half cube sized like the portaDrill. will get pics of it tomorrow. I'll do a toolkit type of thing since you eventually plan to include repair mechanism; and a analyzer/science type of thing as well. They all use existing texture sheets from Karbonite because I'm lazy. :) also because there are a good variety of texture sheets I know I can pull from in Karbonite.

related to the analyze/science type of thing, another way of dealing with the rare UberKarbonite stuff. Again surface detectable only; but to detect the availability and abundancy of it, you perform science experiment at a hotspot which returns existance and abundancy of the rare UberKarbonite stuff. There could be an orbital analyzer that gives a global availability of the Uber stuff per celestial body... so players don't waste time testing hot spots on a planet that doesn't have the Uber-stuff at all. I don't know if this is possible, all I know is KSPI has those science analyzer things that returns resource abundancy in air and oceans. not sure if those are doable for crustal resources or not.

hmmm lemme think of the mechanics for this. Part of it could be through extending how the ORS scanners work. Basically, obfuscating some of the results, etc.

hmmm lemme think of the mechanics for this. Part of it could be through extending how the ORS scanners work. Basically, obfuscating some of the results, etc.

The new stuff would be defined with a PNG like all the other ORS crustal resources right? wouldn't it work simply by not giving an orbital the setting to read it's PNG? as for ground detect, the science experiment would replace the earlier mechanic of detecting by proximity. Instead of creating new bubbles when you get close enough, you just run the experiment at a regular hotspot to see if there's any of the uberstuff. basically, without the the UberKarbonium experiment set, you can't detect the stuff at all, orbit or surface. This way it'd probably make the availability of it more "logical"... i.e. where there's a high concentration of regular Karbonite hotspots; there's a higher change of one of them having the super rare stuff. I guess the tricky part is limiting the detection to a small area... seems like the mass spectrometer readings in KSPI is global.

Edited by nli2work

The new stuff would be defined with a PNG like all the other ORS crustal resources right? wouldn't it work simply by not giving an orbital the setting to read it's PNG? as for ground detect, the science experiment would replace the earlier mechanic of detecting by proximity. Instead of creating new bubbles when you get close enough, you just run the experiment at a regular hotspot to see if there's any of the uberstuff. basically, without the the UberKarbonium experiment set, you can't detect the stuff at all, orbit or surface. This way it'd probably make the availability of it more "logical"... i.e. where there's a high concentration of regular Karbonite hotspots; there's a higher change of one of them having the super rare stuff. I guess the tricky part is limiting the detection to a small area... seems like the mass spectrometer readings in KSPI is global.

Correct, my short term plan would be to make it so it is invisible from orbit and you can only get a reading on the ground, although I'd go the route of having the reading live like it is now, but no visible hotspots, so the player has to drive around looking for it.

Correct, my short term plan would be to make it so it is invisible from orbit and you can only get a reading on the ground, although I'd go the route of having the reading live like it is now, but no visible hotspots, so the player has to drive around looking for it.

makes sense. just gotta make it correlated loosely to regular Karbonite hotspots. :) otherwise one would have to drive over quite alot of surface.

So I just encountered what I think is a bug, but might be a feature. I'm not entirely sure. My apologies if this has been brought up before, but searching the thread didn't show any posts about this so here goes:

I've got an orbital tanker set up, and it's got some Karbonite tanks. I had to build them empty because this thing is a *beast* and putting it in orbit took far more effort than was really deserved. So anyway, I just sent up a stocking mission to fill said tanker's stock of Karbonite. The mission uses the big Karbonite engine as the main lifter stage, and then the super-heavy engines and fuel tanks as later stages. The Karbonite engines were separated from the payload by three stack decouplers (the 3-meter ones) and a radial decoupler (the detachment manifold). And yet when the engines ran their dedicated tanks out of Karbonite, what do they do? Start draining the payload! Obviously this is no bueno, and if I hadn't been keeping an eye on my resources I'd have ended up docking with the tanker and having nothing to give it.

Are Karbonite engines *supposed* to drain fuel through decouplers? If so, is there a way to turn that off so cases like mine don't end up as a wasted mission?

So I just encountered what I think is a bug, but might be a feature. I'm not entirely sure. My apologies if this has been brought up before, but searching the thread didn't show any posts about this so here goes:

I've got an orbital tanker set up, and it's got some Karbonite tanks. I had to build them empty because this thing is a *beast* and putting it in orbit took far more effort than was really deserved. So anyway, I just sent up a stocking mission to fill said tanker's stock of Karbonite. The mission uses the big Karbonite engine as the main lifter stage, and then the super-heavy engines and fuel tanks as later stages. The Karbonite engines were separated from the payload by three stack decouplers (the 3-meter ones) and a radial decoupler (the detachment manifold). And yet when the engines ran their dedicated tanks out of Karbonite, what do they do? Start draining the payload! Obviously this is no bueno, and if I hadn't been keeping an eye on my resources I'd have ended up docking with the tanker and having nothing to give it.

Are Karbonite engines *supposed* to drain fuel through decouplers? If so, is there a way to turn that off so cases like mine don't end up as a wasted mission?

Right now it does because I have some other bugs involving fuel transfer and the rails converters to track down.

Short term: For payloads, disable crossfeed

Yes, I am using the SCANsat version of Karbonite. I am using the latest versions of both mods as well.

"Latest" Scansat means either 6 or 7 depending on where you spend your time on this forum.

"Latest" Scansat means either 6 or 7 depending on where you spend your time on this forum.

I'm using v6.1. I also downloaded it yesterday after googling it because sometimes I'll be digging for five minutes before finding the mods I want.

I'm using v6.1. I also downloaded it yesterday after googling it because sometimes I'll be digging for five minutes before finding the mods I want.

You need 7.x :) It's an in-dev feature - I do mention that in my video in the second post of the Karbonite thread ;)

scanner and toolbox w/ deployable light.

Very nice. I'm really liking all your itty bitty rover parts. But you need a roll of duct tape and a coat hanger in the toolbox :).

While you're making such things, how about an inflatable camper module? Or an inflatable tent you can deploy on the ground with KAS, that holds more than an EVA suit's 1/2-day of life support. You now, for those times when you're far from home and you get so busy trying to untangle the duct tape from your EVA gloves that you don't notice the sun was setting :)

Very nice. I'm really liking all your itty bitty rover parts. But you need a roll of duct tape and a coat hanger in the toolbox :).

While you're making such things, how about an inflatable camper module? Or an inflatable tent you can deploy on the ground with KAS, that holds more than an EVA suit's 1/2-day of life support. You now, for those times when you're far from home and you get so busy trying to untangle the duct tape from your EVA gloves that you don't notice the sun was setting :)

Duct tape! I knew that toolbox was missing something. :D

Houston, i have a problem. I spend 2 days to get any little pice of Karbonte, build an launch 5 types of ships, latest http://clip2net.com/s/iOYafk and... nothing! Activate a drill give me nothing! Karbonite Tank empty!

KSP from Steam, mod from dropbox.

http://clip2net.com/s/iOYg56

What do i wrong? I send next ship on Minmus whith another modules - still nothins. Crap!

Houston, i have a problem. I spend 2 days to get any little pice of Karbonte, build an launch 5 types of ships, latest http://clip2net.com/s/iOYafk and... nothing! Activate a drill give me nothing! Karbonite Tank empty!

KSP from Steam, mod from dropbox.

http://clip2net.com/s/iOYg56

What do i wrong? I send next ship on Minmus whith another modules - still nothins. Crap!

Uhhh, the drill you are showing in the screenie is the Substrate&Ore drill, not the Karbonite drill.... so it, errr, won't drill Karbonite.