Regarding the HTTP/502 errors

KasperVld

Hello there!

I just wanted to give a short update on the situation of the 502 errors. As commented back when the 0.24 release was still a few days away the 502 errors are caused by the forum's server being overloaded with work. It cannot handle the amount of traffic the forums are generating and the huge database that it maintains of all your lovely contributions. There are a few solutions to this problem: you can upgrade the server, separate the front-end and database into two different servers, change forum software and so on. Squad is currently looking into different options, but most likely is that the current server will be upgraded. Rest assured that they are aware of the problem and that it's being worked on.

Hopefully, it wouldn't cause the April 2013 incident. A good number of members were lost that day, and I'm not sure if we've completely recovered or not. Whatever the case, there's a huge hole in the forum records from 0.17-0.20.

Hopefully, it wouldn't cause the April 2013 incident. A good number of members were lost that day, and I'm not sure if we've completely recovered or not. Whatever the case, there's a huge hole in the forum records from 0.17-0.20.

Ever since that happened the server has been making daily backups. The 502 errors just indicate that the server has no time for your request and not that it's losing data. But even in case things do go horribly horribly wrong we have that daily backup :)

Squad is currently looking into different options, but most likely is that the current server will be upgraded.

That sounds like the way to go. You guys probably weren't expecting to see such a rapid growth of the forums and doubtless your host has had dollar signs shining in their eyes when you talk to them about it. Us moaning about and suffering with 502s is good for them really. Make sure you get a good deal Kasper, and don't be afraid to switch if they try and screw you. I'm pretty sure your forum-base would support a move if it came to it.

Oh look, another decision with predictable (and predicted) consequences that gets overturned after a few months because those very same consequences did indeed happen. Guess why I'm not surprised at all! I mean, it's just the third time this happened this year.

Oh look, another decision with predictable (and predicted) consequences that gets overturned after a few months because those very same consequences did indeed happen. Guess why I'm not surprised at all! I mean, it's just the third time this happened this year.

What decision?

I am surprised that the database and front end are on the same host. Really should be split, even if it's to different VMs.

That sounds like the way to go. You guys probably weren't expecting to see such a rapid growth of the forums and doubtless your host has had dollar signs shining in their eyes when you talk to them about it. Us moaning about and suffering with 502s is good for them really. Make sure you get a good deal Kasper, and don't be afraid to switch if they try and screw you. I'm pretty sure your forum-base would support a move if it came to it.

I'll pass that on to Alex and Max - I don't work for Squad and am only indirectly involved in this :wink: