[Early development, 0.24] Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier

Awesome! Can the atmospheres have custom colors?

Its completely configurable. Three things are needed to control atmospheric color

- Atmospheric Ambient Color

- Light Color

- Gradient Texture (controls color from the horizon to the point straight above you)

Edit: I should have said that the game supports this and we will break out these options

Edited by Teknoman117

Make a download and at least a guide to port over PF planets!

You can already compile the source if you want: https://github.com/BryceSchroeder/Kopernicus

I don't think they should be wasting time writting guides for an alpha-state mode when they can spend their time on continueing being awesome.

@Teknoman: Have you been able to change the planet's rim/horizon on the scaledspace?

You can already compile the source if you want: https://github.com/BryceSchroeder/Kopernicus

I don't think they should be wasting time writting guides for an alpha-state mode when they can spend their time on continueing being awesome.

@Teknoman: Have you been able to change the planet's rim/horizon on the scaledspace?

Uh, I haven't tried doing that, but upon examination, I think I'd know how to going about doing it. The rim size is controlled by a component called AtmosphereFromGround, and it's a very simple class. You'd have to write a replacement, as the rim size is hardcoded proportionally to the size of the planet. The outer radius of the rim is hard coded at 1.025 times the planet radius and the inner rim size is hard coded at 0.975 times the planet radius. If you want to discuss this further, PM me.

The textures for the test are also on the GitHub. Create a GameData/Kopernicus/Plugins directory and drop the PluginData/ folder on the GitHub in there. Compile the sources and then drop the resulting Kopernicus.dll in there to. We'll provide official DLLs once we have the configuration system written. We hope to have to have a beta (yes, beta, don't mix your prized saves with this mod yet) a week from today. The schedule is currently as follows

Bryce is currently working on getting biomes functioning properly, I'm getting the PQSMods required for oceans working. After that, we need to write the configuration system. This will be based on EVEManager (thank you rbray89, it's sweet).

Edited by Teknoman117

Technical Update: Figured out a better way of dealing with the prefab, no need for the post psystem spawn PQS activations. If you have a tree of game objects, each game object inherits its parent's active setting (well, game objects are rendered top down, so if it encounters an inactive object, the children are not processed). This enables us to have a "deactivator" game object outside the prefab, but be the root object of the prefab contents. This object is disabled and marked DontDestroyOnLoad, which the children inherit. When KSP Instantiates objects out of the prefab and assigns new parents to the objects, they become active automatically. This enables our mod to actually be just a prefab rewriter. After Awake(), the mod is no longer required for the custom system's operation.

In other good news, the biomes seem to be working correctly now. It should be possible to easily support dozens, and maybe even hundreds, of biomes, if one has the patience. (Of course, that would have interesting effects on science balancing. But you could make rovers really fun and practical.)

I don't suppose anyone could give a brief rundown of what is needed in order to assemble it off github for someone who's never done such.

This is really, really brief (sorry, I'm kinda tired): You'll basically need to follow the instructions for making a mod (e.g. http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Setting_up_MonoDevelop and the other tutorials) except download the code from GitHub for Kopernicus rather than writing your own. Build the project. You'd then have to make a directory structure for it in your KSP GameData folder and move the dll you just compiled and the various Kopernicus data files (image maps) into it into Plugins and PluginData subdirectories.

I think we'll have oceans working soon, and rings are on the agenda. We have some novel ideas about how to implement them procedurally to give planet designers a lot of flexibility in making ringed worlds.

This is really, really brief (sorry, I'm kinda tired): You'll basically need to follow the instructions for making a mod (e.g. http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Setting_up_MonoDevelop and the other tutorials) except download the code from GitHub for Kopernicus rather than writing your own. Build the project. You'd then have to make a directory structure for it in your KSP GameData folder and move the dll you just compiled and the various Kopernicus data files (image maps) into it into Plugins and PluginData subdirectories.

Yeah... that's not going to work. That just left me yelling at the top of my lungs at my computer because first it kept flagging the program as a virus threat, then the edit references option is greyed out, then I don't even know which of the dozen+ files in there I need to run through that, then when i try a random 1 that looks promising it says it built but i have no idea where the built file is because nothings different. me actually trying to do something with code results in objects being thrown at walls in frustration lol. :\

Yeah... that's not going to work. That just left me yelling at the top of my lungs at my computer because first it kept flagging the program as a virus threat, then the edit references option is greyed out, then I don't even know which of the dozen+ files in there I need to run through that, then when i try a random 1 that looks promising it says it built but i have no idea where the built file is because nothings different. me actually trying to do something with code results in objects being thrown at walls in frustration lol. :\

Lol. I'll PM you a link to a build when I figure out why the ocean is invisible.

Have you guys tried gas giants yet? All of the PF Jool remixes I've found have the green Jool background mixed in with them and if you enter their atmosphere's everything becomes green. I have the 7-3 Boulder Co EVE so I'm not sure if that is also counting it.

The Krag's thread is locked and I didn't know where else to post this message. Just wondering your experiences and if you had similar problems. Thanks!

Have you guys tried gas giants yet? All of the PF Jool remixes I've found have the green Jool background mixed in with them and if you enter their atmosphere's everything becomes green. I have the 7-3 Boulder Co EVE so I'm not sure if that is also counting it.

The Krag's thread is locked and I didn't know where else to post this message. Just wondering your experiences and if you had similar problems. Thanks!

I don't see why it would be a problem, but don't want to mess with the currently-static planet generating code at the moment to try it out. I'll give a gas giant a try when the configurating system is up and running (presumably the next goal for after we get oceans working... and after that, we the only need to figure out rings and terrain scatter to have the basic functionality complete.)

You'll have full control over which if any PQSMods get applied and things like the atmosphere color, so I think fully-custom gas giants will be no problem.

Edited by BryceSchroeder

Suggestion(for stage 2 or onwards, after cfg configurations): integrate kcreators deadly ocean and atmosphere stuff. Would be very cool to be able to create an old style moho with burning atmosphere(just less intense maybe:-) maybe integrate some additional effects like corrosion and pressure (simplest implimentation at first would just be some message saying "danger, corrosive environement" and a timer until the ship explodes), the cool thing could be using this for replacing the solid surface on jool/gas giants with pressure enduced explosion. And the suns with progressive heating. Dunno if this is concidered in the scope of the plugin but it would be cool nonetheless.

It Will be very interesting to try the alpha build when it comes out.

Take a look at my plugin's ocean spawner, although it uses instantiation, the methods I have used might help. I added a CelestialBodyTransform to the ocean sphere, and set the materials for it on a frame by frame basis.

Thanks for the PQSMod_CelestialBodyTransform hint. I *really* didn't want to have special pieces of the mod running in game just to replace stock functionality, and I got it working. There is an object used by the celestialbodytransform called AltitudeFade as the planetFade parameter. It actually has a public list called "secondaryRenderers." I added my ocean controller PQS mod to this list and now oceans work. As with the rest of the mod, its a completely custom PQS bring up, no Instantiate() required.

Screenshot.2014.08_02_18.46.49.png

Thanks for the PQSMod_CelestialBodyTransform hint. I *really* didn't want to have special pieces of the mod running in game just to replace stock functionality, and I got it working. There is an object used by the celestialbodytransform called AltitudeFade as the planetFade parameter. It actually has a public list called "secondaryRenderers." I added my ocean controller PQS mod to this list and now oceans work. As with the rest of the mod, its a completely custom PQS bring up, no Instantiate() required.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8061287/Kopernicus/Screenshot.2014.08_02_18.46.49.png

Looks awesome!

I'm assuming you can modify the water colour as well?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8061287/Kopernicus/Screenshot.2014.08_02_18.46.49.png

Oh wow, that looks nice. Great job! Make sure to set up some texture modifiers for PQSMod_OceanFX when you push the config based release!