0.24.2 Update Fixes Separators; Breaks Revert Menu?

As the title suggests, the 0.24.2 update has created a strange new problem: at least 50% of the time I open up the "Revert to..." menu, probably much higher, both buttons are missing. Not grayed out, missing. And the game cannot be exited from without using the task manager or similar methods.

Any idea what could be causing this? I don't think it's a mod, since I frankly don't have many installed that I can imagine would effect that.

EDIT:

Here's a long overdue screenshot of what's happening.

Menu_zps513e1d4d.png

Sadly, the game doesn't actually crash, so to my knowledge, you can't get an output file.

EDIT: Okay, trying to get a screenshot of the Debug list ingame.

Edited by Synthesis

Any idea what could be causing this? I don't think it's a mod, since I frankly don't have many installed that I can imagine would effect that.

There is a common misconception that few mods, or certain types of mods can't cause problems. The truth of the matter is that mods can cause all sorts of unintended consequences in exactly the same way as unintended things happen in the stock game. I had an outdated version of MechJeb that completely messed up the stock interface and textures. It happens.

I'm not saying "it's your mods, deal with it" but perhaps try playing stock for a bit and doing the same types of things you're doing now. See if you can get it to happen again in stock only. If it's 50% of the time like you said, it shouldn't take too long. Then you can truly narrow it down to a stock vs. mod issue and that will help us direct your question to the right people to answer it.

All that being said, what mods are you using?

Also, it would be helpful to include things like pictures and log files. I know it's from another forum, but this sort of information helps us help you: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24543-NEED-SUPPORT-Read-this-before-posting-No-modded-installs

Cheers,

~Claw

Edited by Claw

As the title suggests, the 0.24.2 update has created a strange new problem: at least 50% of the time I open up the "Revert to..." menu, probably much higher, both buttons are missing. Not grayed out, missing. And the game cannot be exited from without using the task manager or similar methods.

Copy/paste the entire KSP archive, remove all mods, test. If problem still occurs, come back, if it doesnt - start adding mods until you find one that causes the issue.

There is a common misconception that few mods, or certain types of mods can't cause problems. The truth of the matter is that mods can cause all sorts of unintended consequences in exactly the same way as unintended things happen in the stock game. I had an outdated version of MechJeb that completely messed up the stock interface and textures. It happens.

I'm not saying "it's your mods, deal with it" but perhaps try playing stock for a bit and doing the same types of things you're doing now. See if you can get it to happen again in stock only. If it's 50% of the time like you said, it shouldn't take too long. Then you can truly narrow it down to a stock vs. mod issue and that will help us direct your question to the right people to answer it.

All that being said, what mods are you using?

Also, it would be helpful to include things like pictures and log files. I know it's from another forum, but this sort of information helps us help you: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24543-NEED-SUPPORT-Read-this-before-posting-No-modded-installs

Cheers,

~Claw

This actually makes good sense--unfortunately, completely deleting all mods still didn't stop the problem from occurring.

So, next comes a re-installation.

This actually makes good sense--unfortunately, completely deleting all mods still didn't stop the problem from occurring.

So, next comes a re-installation.

Personally, I always recommend a secondary installation that's never been touched by mods. Some mods may make changes outside of their own specific directories. When this happens, it's impossible to entirely delete the mod without reinstalling. Also, having a second install means you won't accidentally trash your main, modded install.

Not all mods act this way, but some do leave parts and pieces laying around. Also it occurs to me that a few others have reported missing buttons (although not the same ones as you). In those cases, fiddling with the game's resolution fixed the issue.

~Claw

Well, without any log files, screen shots, craft files, save games, or a list of mods, it's really hard to guess what your problem might be. I recommend you read that thread I posted again, otherwise there isn't much else we can do except guess.

If you do have mods still, I will probably move this to the mod support forum. You might get more mod specific help there if you post a list of what you are using.

-Claw

Sorry, I should have included an image...it's just so erratic it didn't occur to me.

I've included a picture in OP, I should have done that at first.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to come up with a log file, since the game doesn't actually crash when this happens--it just gets stuck in a point where you can't proceede. Sorry to have to ask again, are output logs generated even if the game doesn't crash>

Hmm. It looks like you're using the toolbar plugin. Have you made sure it's up to date?

To find your logs:

Cause the problem. Quit KSP (if it hasn't crashed). Upload your output log (NOT ksp.log) to dropbox, pastebin, or something similar.

Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt OR KSP_win64\KSP_x64_DATA\output_log.txt (depending on which used)

Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log

Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

Looks like AlignedCurrencyIndicator is causing problems. I've had issues before with KerbQuake corrupting the Revert window if you've got that installed. And EVE is throwing exceptions too, though it does that in my installation as well and it doesn't cause problems.

I was having the same problem and it was a mod. Im not sure which one it was but I did a clean install and then put all my mods back using their newest update and that fixed it. So far the Near future mods are not working and cause the game to crash.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.