Minmus Base Hangar

TweakScale has finally allowed me and my poor laptop to build larger structures without FPS dropping to a standstill. So I built a large hangar on Minmus. It has a few sleeping quarters located on the upper platform and 2 funicular lifts for kerbals to get up and down. As part of the base, there is an ion flyer for 2 kerbals, a science mobile, a fuel scavenging tanker, a mobile crane and a flatbed lorry. There is a spare fuel tank on the right, which is basically an abandoned rocket.

65210D2F1A022A4062C16B08BD655D524F939EAA

D0A7F54EDC69DAA094E14B3E88E325AE2CD17A07

Could do with some hand rails.

73D79A35A0DB4DF4614769D7D24F8FE3E30EDED3

This ion flyer on the roof is a replacement for wheeled rovers since it is much easier to get around Minmus on a flying craft rather than rovers.

FACD69D798DA8585075A346FBDEF12E7EA229DDC

Cargo is being lifted out of the spaceplane by Cambus Kerman using the mobile crane. Meanwhile Thomthon Kerman is supervising.

716DDF411C4950ED40E92CFA0CE74792ED5A7407

DB5833EA6194679AA275D7CF5566C304BEF1A11D

9C06B60A6BEA13A75B4F5483DC103463128CD97F

This is just pure win. The only things I can think of that would make this better would be the addition of other mods to make it a self-sustaining base that can send fuel anywhere in the Kerbin system, i.e Low Kerbin Orbit, the Mun, and Minmus orbit.

Resources would be useful but the base just took delivery of a critical component and 4 kerbals rushed down to see it.

017DEC78F2F5ADD131F9FCB57FDA0F34A0804EC0

918A41F34F1EFED8A7C97DE051A3F1F8BF3B2439

It's a carousel merry-go-round! It rotates clockwise, but it looks like the kerbals are rotating the opposite way because it spins so fast!

8410F2B3D95CF57535EA7D266E2ACDC959FCE919

0ED019446B4D1844F0AF5CCF516C4E4DA4667F13

Just downloaded the latest version of MKS so I can start adding more useful modules to the base like resource collection. A roof Klaw is a good idea considering the mobile crane jumps around so much when rotating. The next base will definitely have this, just have to find a nice flat piece of land on Duna or another planet to start base construction.

Time to activate the VTOL engines and say goodbye to the Minmus spaceport hangar base (for now)!

FEB49B131704B56AB326A77AB58C299C73FCC0CA

Just downloaded the latest version of MKS so I can start adding more useful modules to the base like resource collection. A roof Klaw is a good idea considering the mobile crane jumps around so much when rotating. The next base will definitely have this, just have to find a nice flat piece of land on Duna or another planet to start base construction.

Time to activate the VTOL engines and say goodbye to the Minmus spaceport hangar base (for now)!

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/74625700095680416/FEB49B131704B56AB326A77AB58C299C73FCC0CA/

If you only want MKS for resource collection you can remove it and try Karbonite which is made by the same person who made MKS instead. It allows you to collect called Karbonite and convert it into fuel. It is currently early in development but it will grow. It may sound a lot like kethane, but there is no scanning from orbit. Karbonite is nearly everywhere on each planet according to the creator.

I need help building a crane. Using Tweakscale I am making a Minmus Base like this with a crane in the hangar, but the telescopic piston will only attach upside down! The only way it is able to attach is where it would extend into the roof of the hangar, but I need it to go down. Can anyone help me?

Cool, I'll check out Karbonite, haven't used Kethane since 0.24 was released anyhow.

I attach the pistons with the little stubby green connection point sticking out (and the rest of the sheathed body inside the structure), but if that isn't working for you, maybe ask in the IR thread.

Wow.

This is great. Hrm... maybe integrate a crane into the hangar, just for the coolth?

Ceiling Klaw laughs in the face of the rotatron's counter-torque! Possibly because the structure weighs 3200 tonnes. Picking up cargo shouldn't be this much fun.

AFB0CCFC902196AE5A8B4748358526EEFED25D39

688B7AA48A3B50449292E980AEB99B5E341A1447

6605F6647FFA0B45455202E8A7FD87FE0978353F

CE277C47159A3728312678EE98E7F0410CEEA8FB

5C7C4F291F36FD9F1423348BBAB58E4413C81720

60E1B92BCEEC1E00997F251D19279FE3BD056003

46A17110816BC58E5AE38571106BF418A334CD3623EA7D29891DA007DD1AC885A725A012DC4CDDAC All this effort just to pile up a mess in the corner.

Awesome, how did you launch and land that thing if it's so heavy? Must've looked odd :P

It was a hyperedit job, I just like building sets these days without the hassle of transporting and connecting bases.

I used to launch them, in this picture you can see the hangar and the rocket to the left, it did look very odd, like a pencil with a hat.

AE54FC1685F1409CE5B7EDEEB03B622181D7015E

Edited by eempc

Cool, I'll check out Karbonite, haven't used Kethane since 0.24 was released anyhow.

I attach the pistons with the little stubby green connection point sticking out (and the rest of the sheathed body inside the structure), but if that isn't working for you, maybe ask in the IR thread.

Well I tried that and it worked, but it only went down half the distance I wanted it to since the it was inside the roof. I guess I'll stick with a KAS Magnet. (I am using 32-bit, so it should work fine).

Well I tried to HyperEdit my hangar onto Minmus. It failed because the thing is 415 tons and turns really slow and for some reason the people who made hyperedit decided it was a good idea to make the ship lander drop your ship SIDEWAYS for some retarded reason and it is really making me angry because adding more reaction wheels is only making it worse somehow.

Well I tried to HyperEdit my hangar onto Minmus. It failed because the thing is 415 tons and turns really slow and for some reason the people who made hyperedit decided it was a good idea to make the ship lander drop your ship SIDEWAYS for some retarded reason and it is really making me angry because adding more reaction wheels is only making it worse somehow.

Just drop from a higher altitude, maybe 200 metres and hold down W or S or whatever to orientate. Just make sure you don't run out of battery.

I have discovered that the orientation of the craft when the land function is used in hyperedit is affected by the orientation relative to that part of the planet while you are in orbit. I hit the land button without adjusting my craft orientation in orbit and it was already nearly pointing directly up. I now have a Hangar on one of Minmus' ice lakes. It'll be a challenge to land without mechjeb there as I use Astronomer's Visual Pack V3 Beta and it adds a "Fog" To the ice lakes of Minmus. On a happier note, it just so happens there is a good amount of karbonite where I landed the hangar, meaning a Mining ship is probably the next addition.

I got my first Karbonite Mining Rig to Minmus. It is 61 meters away from the hangar.

7k9wBkz.jpg

FpWJ2Ka.jpg

The mining rig has the required supplies to start a pipe system in the 2 KAS containers on top. When the first Kerbals arrive setting the pipes up will be the first thing to do. Oddly enough, the fog has disappeared from around the base.

Here's a view of the base inside the fog.

CfF8iQT.jpg

And from above.

gRZwbtH.jpg

Edited by mike9606
More Pictures

My Crane is 2 IR Gantry Rails to move left and right and forward and backwards. A KAS winch and a magnet are used to grab cargo, but it seems that this is not a good design(It glitches out when I try to move it forward and backward and the cargo swings around crazily when I raise it up). A crane truck will be built and delivered to the base to replace the hangar crane.

Here are some pictures of the base in it's current state.

A view of everything.

Jq0QGVx.jpg

Up Close.

XgskhVz.jpg

The kerbal on the left is Melbrett and the one on the right is Newwell. From left to right there is the Cargo Truck which has a functioning cargo door (Pickup truck style), the Fuel Tanker which is full of fuel from the Karbonite mining rig, and the Crane Truck, which will load and unload cargo.

Edited by mike9606

May I have the .craft file of the Cargo Spaceplane VTOL seen on the first page? I can't build VTOLs too well, and a combination of an SSTO and VTOL certainly is something I can't do.

https://www./?c1gpkozlma4mnko

You will need SP+, RPM, IR and MJ for this plane.

The VTOL mode can be a bit shaky, you may need to tweak the maximum throttle of the front engine depending on where your centre of mass has shifted to.

Just review the action groups before you launch.

Press 5 after take off to switch off the front engine. After that, try to beat my (orbital) speed of 1,900 m/s using just the air breathing engines before switching to rocket mode.

You might also need to adjust the rear stabilisers and landing gear to allow take off.

Edited by eempc

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.