Concept Rockets

Sauron

I may or may not have been working on some procedural parts textures:

http://i.imgur.com/IjQcuGY.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/g9BBmai.jpg

I don't have everything pulled together yet, and I don't have any normals made yet, but it's close.

Those look really good! Can you give me a quick rundown on how to make those? I've been dying for some Tantares ProcParts, and I'm willing to take matters into my own hands.

I may or may not have been working on some procedural parts textures:

http://i.imgur.com/IjQcuGY.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/g9BBmai.jpg

I don't have everything pulled together yet, and I don't have any normals made yet, but it's close.

Those are amazing! I'm sadly a completely stock part individual for my main play. If you flip to around page 10 you can see what I did in the past in recreating these launchers. I did solid colors on procedural fairings and they looked and worked extremely well :).

Those look really good! Can you give me a quick rundown on how to make those? I've been dying for some Tantares ProcParts, and I'm willing to take matters into my own hands.

Thanks!

Actually these are comparatively easy compared to some of the other textures I've done since they are large blocks of color. You just need a decent graphics editor, although even if you don't have Photoshop, you could probably do these in Paint/Paint.Net/GIMP easily as well. Just make a texture sized in multiples of 16 (for small tanks like this I start at 512 x 1024 pixels.) Make the base color whatever you'd like, then the details (like the arrows, vents, panels, etc.) Save it out as a PNG or BMP, then convert it to a DDS file using any of the free tool (there's a command line tool, NVIDIA's package, or Lilleman's which he wrote specifically for KSP.)

One of the orange tanks looks like this:

QKTSN6Nl.jpg

Then you just need Procedural Parts, and you need to write a config for them (easier than it sounds, promise!)

For these, the config file looks like this:

STRETCHYTANKTEXTURES
{
name = SauronSolid

// DOCS
// If you're adding a new texture, create a new node.
// The name of the node is the name that will be stored in your craft file.
// Inside that node, you need two subnodes: sides and ends
// sides can have the following keys:
// texture = the path to the texture used for the sides
// bump = the bump map, if any (shader will be non-bumped if this is left out)
// uScale = how many times the texture is tiled horizontally around the tank
// vScale = how many times the texture is tiled vertically on the tank sides
// autoScale = if present and true, the uScale and vScale will be multiplied by
// tank radial and vertical stretch factors respectively. Note that the
// scales will round to the nearest (total scale factor / original scale)
// so that textures don't have seams. The default sides texture
// has uScale 4, so it starts tiled 4x horizontally and when stretched will
// be more or less (but always in steps of 0.25)
// autoWidthDivide = if present and true, and autoScale is true, divide height
// scaling by width stretch factor. In other words, a 2x10m SRB and 1x5m SRB
// will have the same texture scaling. (SegmentedSRB uses this)
// autoHeightSteps = if present, use steps of (this) instead of (1/vScale) for
// vertical tiling of the texture (only use when autoScale is true)
// ends can have just the texture key (see above)

Black1
{
sides
{
texture = MainSailor/Solid/Black1
//bump = MainSailor/FuselageTest_NRM
uScale = 2
vScale = 1
//autoScale = true
//shininess = 0.1
//specular = 0.2, 0.2, 0.2
}
ends
{
texture = ProceduralParts/Parts/ends
}
}
}

You don't really need the descriptive area (the lines prefaced with //) but I leave it in to help with tiling.

uScale is how many times the texture wraps around the tank (like a soup can label). 2 means there's a copy of the texture on each side, so your details will appear on both sides.

vScale is how many times your texture will stack on top of each other, if you don't use autoScale to tile them automatically. This is good for stacking repetitive textures (like SRB segments.)

You can also control shininess as well, and specular, but since in my mind these textures should be flat, I have those turned off.

You can also build a normal map too (the bump option) which will give the tank surface the appearance of 3D details. I've done a quick look at how I build mine here. It's basically building a heightmap in black and white (white is high, black is low, and grays are the levels in between) and then use a web site to generate the actual normal map. I haven't done a set for these yet because I'm not done making the textures.

Dump the files into a folder in KSP (hopefully the one you specified in the config) and then grab a pParts tank and set your desired texture!

Tantares textures should be easy to do if you have a graphics program that can open DDS because you can grab the textures you want from the folder and make your own (just crop down the image to the 'sides' of the parts).

dHj53Ba.jpg

Those are amazing! I'm sadly a completely stock part individual for my main play. If you flip to around page 10 you can see what I did in the past in recreating these launchers. I did solid colors on procedural fairings and they looked and worked extremely well :).

Thanks! I've seen your ships, I've never had the talent patience to try to recreate stuff using stock parts, and until recently never really played with fairings, since they were unneeded. My FAR campaign was a different install and I only made spaceplanes on that one.

I know that Orbitus is working on parts, and that bs1110101 already had a pack of solid colors for pParts, but Sauron's concepts were one of the things that motivated me to make the Gamma series, since I was tired of 'real world' looking textures. I started working on my own pack to help me practice my texturing skills, since I've only just started at it pretty much.

The image I posted is made entirely of pParts tanks, save the docking ports and solars, and so far I'm extremely happy with them. I have to do some color tweaking, and haven't started normals yet, but for my own purposes, they're a great start. If there's any interest I'll release them (although not to compete with bs1110101's pack.)

Edited by MainSailor
technical changes

Actually these are comparatively easy compared to some of the other textures I've done since they are large blocks of color. You just need a decent graphics editor, although even if you don't have Photoshop, you could probably do these in Paint/Paint.Net/GIMP easily as well. Just make a texture sized in multiples of 16 (for small tanks like this I start at 512 x 1024 pixels.) Make the base color whatever you'd like, then the details (like the arrows, vents, panels, etc.) Save it out as a PNG or BMP, then convert it to a DDS file using any of the free tool (there's a command line tool, NVIDIA's package, or Lilleman's which he wrote specifically for KSP.

Thanks! I'll try this soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Urrr. This thread is chaotic and I filled up my imgur account. There will be more pictures but I need to get motivated enough to do housekeeping.

But I have two more rocket families from a different universe and I'm going to do a second pass on some of the other stuff.

Edited by Sauron

Urrr. This thread is chaotic and I filled up my imgur account. There will be more pictures but I need to get motivated enough to do housekeeping.

But I have two more rocket families from a different universe and I'm going to do a second pass on some of the other stuff.

O-O. I look forwards! Best of luck with Imgur too :/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.