Have you ever gotten stuck in mud?

Sun

Basically, the title. If you've had an experience with mud in real life, then post your experience as a reply to this. Feel free to post pictures, videos, and/or links. We can all admit that at least a few of us have been in mud-related situations.

Here's mine: I was walking down a green belt path along a river. I decided to take a break to eat lunch. But I made a mistake. I thought I was stepping onto a piece of solid ground. Nope! My boot sank straight in, and I sank up to just below my knee. Luckily, because it was a rainy day, I was wearing rubber boots. But, because I hadn't sank all the way with one, I stepped out with the other one too. Both boots sank to almost their tops. About 2 inches (4-5 cm) of the boots were visible. I tried to pull my right boot up. No movement. I tried the left boot. Same thing. I then decided to step out of my boots and on to the green belt path. I then slowly stepped as close to the mud I could get without getting my feet dirty. (My boots were already dirty enough.) Luckily, my boots had handles on them which were supposed to be for pulling them on. Instead, I used the handles as grappling hooks of some kind. The right one started coming out, and wow that revolting suction sound as it came out. I then put it on and repeated this process with the left one. I put it on too. I then continued walking down the greenbelt. After I had walked about 100 feet (About 33.3 meters), someone else asked me what happened. I told him what happened. He wished me luck to not get stuck again. I then found a rock path down to the river. I thought to myself, That would've been useful to know about earlier! . I walked down to the river, washed my boots off, and ate my lunch.

Once again, post your muddy experiences/encounters as replies.

Thanks, Sun.

Not really, but when I was 5, I fell into a muddy hole. It was filled with water, about mid-chest high. Bearing in mind, this was at school, with about 3 teachers, and an entire class of five year old children. In the end, I got out. Not sure if that counts, but it's as close as it gets to being stuck in mud.

Yeah, with an off-road vehicle. Usually it means you're screwed and wait for help, but in my case a little bit back & forth & back & forth did the trick.

Later all that mud dried up and became rock-hard, & guess who's supposed to wash it off >:-[

And to think that I used to love winter :-(

Any more? I would like at least two pages of experiences. Then, I could compile them all in notepad and put them as a separate thread in the space lounge.

Edited by Sun

You seem really obsessed about mud... o_o

I go mountain biking fairly often and the area is a flood plain. That means lots of clay, which makes mud sticky. So one day I was riding in the rain because.. why not, I had a rain jacket. I came around a corner too fast and slid off into a big pit filled with mud. My front tire went in and got stuck, launching me off into the mud face-first.

Getting my bike out was a nightmare. Have you ever lost a shoe because the mud sucked it in? That's what happened to it. Eventually I got it out and rinsed off the drivetrain and disc brakes with some pooled rainwater and rode home as it started raining even harder. Luckily, by the time I got home the rain had washed both me and my bike pretty much clean, except for junk from the road surface.

In 2009 while I was deployed to Iraq (Tikrit area), we were conducting patrols in the desert west of the city looking for smugglers. Due to a severe drought, Therthar lake had receded significantly, exposing the lake bed. We found tire tracks leading across it so we followed them out across the lake bed. What we didn't know, is that even though the surface appeared dry, underneath was mud the consistency of cheese. The lead MRAP broke through the top crust and sank up the top of its wheels.

Now, its was the middle of summer, and it was about 120° out, and we were all in full combat kit furiously trying to dig out our truck. To makes things worse, while we were digging, one of our humvees sank through too. We were in the middle of nowhere, no support from friendly units, no cover from enemy attacks on the flat lake bed, most of us outside the protection of our armored vehicles digging. We would have been sitting ducks against an attack, but fortunately we were in such a remote location that I don't think the locals even knew where we were. So we called in for a recovery crew to come help us.

Eventually, after many hours, we dug a ramp out behind the MRAP and used another MRAP to pull it out. But the humvee had sunk into mud that was more like yogurt. We couldn't dig it out because the mud kept filling back in. The recovery crew that was supposed to come help us was being slow as well. Took them hours just to put the convoy together, and they kept getting lost on the way (part of the problem was that our reported position was right in the middle of the lake on their map, they kept asking us if we were giving them the right coordinates, due to some miscommunication they thought we had sunk in water, and not through the dry lake bed). They didn't show up until around midnight (our first vehicle sank in before noon), by that time the sand flies were out in force. Swarms of tiny biting little buggers that apparently are not repelled by bug spray. I cannot remember a time in my life where I have felt so relieved as when that humvee was finally pulled from the mud and we got the hell out of there.

Needless to say, future patrols in that area went around the lake.

My first vehicle 1973 dodge ram d100. 2WD and propane powered. I was messing around by the ball fields and thought my truck could do anything. It had rained heavily the night before and the ruts were full of water. I went straight for the ruts and buried the truck up to the frame. I had to walk home (about 3 miles) and have my dad come pull me out.... and boy did he. 1985 dodge ramcharger 4x4, 360, 33in tires... all done up. He hooks the tow strap to the front bumper of my truck, lets some slack out and guns it in 4 wheel high... yanked me right out and bent the crap out of my bumper. My poor truck wobbled all the way home, slinging mud clumps everywhere. I never got stuck in the mud again.

• 2 months later...

I remember when I was really young, before we moved out of California, there was a rainstorm and our backyard which wasn't grass became mostly mud.

The was one really annoying puddle I remember getting stuck in twice, and I don't remember much else then that.

Not the most exciting, but hey, it was something.

i was once wading in a large drainage ditch, and i fell in (up past my head in water!). once my friend was walking across a rickety homemade bridge that me and my friends had been building, and it broke in half.

those are (some) of the mud experiences that i have had.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.