Why doesn't anyone use the Inline Clamp?

Tortoise

I'm using it to satisfy my current fetish of docking while IVA inside the cockpit(using improved MKII) with this fuel tanker SSTO:

http://imgur.com/a/r71Ft

No picture of the IVA docking? I was gonna ask what interior you're using too. If anything needs an overhaul, that MK.II cockpit is definitely one of them.

No picture of the IVA docking? I was gonna ask what interior you're using too. If anything needs an overhaul, that MK.II cockpit is definitely one of them.

That's my rocket builder's catalogue album, which is all the images I have of this craft to date. For most of my craft I'm using Rastor Prop Monitor with Hull Cam VDS to do my docking once I get close enough with the navball. With this design the docking port is right outside the window so the Mk2 Cockpit Internals is enough to do your docking with. RPM really gives you all the tools now to fly an entire mission in IVA, which is amazing. Hard to believe something like RPM is not in stock gameplay.

Hard to believe something like RPM is not in stock gameplay.

I've been reading the GURPS forums for too long. Whenever I see "RPM" I read it as "Ritual Path Magic".

Keep this quiet, or I'll be thrown out of the International Brotherhood of Bikers; I should be reading it as "revolutions per minute".

I've been reading the GURPS forums for too long. Whenever I see "RPM" I read it as "Ritual Path Magic".

Keep this quiet, or I'll be thrown out of the International Brotherhood of Bikers; I should be reading it as "revolutions per minute".

Or Rounds Per Minute.

Or Rounds Per Minute.

Incidentally, the early models of the KTM Duke (the first production supermotard; basically a motorcross bike with street racing tyres and suspension) had a tacho that was marked in BPM: beats per minute. Doof doof doof.

That's my rocket builder's catalogue album, which is all the images I have of this craft to date. For most of my craft I'm using Rastor Prop Monitor with Hull Cam VDS to do my docking once I get close enough with the navball. With this design the docking port is right outside the window so the Mk2 Cockpit Internals is enough to do your docking with. RPM really gives you all the tools now to fly an entire mission in IVA, which is amazing. Hard to believe something like RPM is not in stock gameplay.

Ah yeah. Thanks, I tried looking for Mk II cockpits. Should have looked for Mk2. Thanks again.

I use it. I sometimes throw them on space station modules just for an extra docking port, sometimes I put them on 1-man "escape pods" (for space stations) so i can use a nose/top parachute (like, para above capsule above stack separator above inline docking port above whatever) or frequently I'll use them on my "return ship" missions.

Sometimes to simplify design when I'm feeling lazy, I do a 2-launch mission (say, landing on Tylo or something) where I'll send a super-bare-bones unmanned return ship with a probe core, empty 1-man capsule or lander can, a long/thin fuel tank or two, and LV-N engine and get into orbit around the target landing body - then send a second manned mission with a lander that can get back into orbit but not back to kerbin, meet up, and eva my kerbal over. I've occasionally used the inline docking port on the return ship (and a regular on the lander) to transfer leftover fuel from the lander to the return ship.

I DO have a good reason for why I don't use it anymore. Well, did but that's not the point! I docked this with the shielded port back in version .21, but they couldn't UN-clamp. They where stuck connected so my space station was a bit weird looking but oh well. I doubt this actually still happens, so I should start using it again. It is a cool piece.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.