Its Rocket Science

Guest GroundHOG-2010

Guest GroundHOG-2010

Ok, just a little background about me and this project:

I go to this school in Christchurch, New Zealand, the same place that has been having earthquakes for the last year. After the second big one (February 22 2011), we were vacated from our school building, and have been shoved into another school\'s space, sharing with them, for the last year (today). The school allows students to persue what they want as well, so me and a few friends, each of us under the age of 18, are planning on building a series of rockets. The main goal is getting into orbit. How hard can it be.

At the moment we are designing it, so that we can get funding for the first goal, engine testing.

The goals are...

Engine test a engine meeting a pre defined power (yet to be determine).

1km up / parachute and electronics test

10 km up / Camera Test and electronics test 2

30 km up / Photograh the curvature of the earth

100 km up / Electronics test 3 / parachute test 2 / heat sheld first installement

Orbit (radio beacon, orbit for 3 orbits - 24 hours of orbiting)

Do you think this is possible, or could give any advice?

Ok, just a little background about me and this project:

I go to this school in Christchurch, New Zealand, the same place that has been having earthquakes for the last year. After the second big one (February 22 2011), we were vacated from our school building, and have been shoved into another school\'s space, sharing with them, for the last year (today). The school allows students to persue what they want as well, so me and a few friends, each of us under the age of 18, are planning on building a series of rockets. The main goal is getting into orbit. How hard can it be.

At the moment we are designing it, so that we can get funding for the first goal, engine testing.

The goals are...

Engine test a engine meeting a pre defined power (yet to be determine).

1km up / parachute and electronics test

10 km up / Camera Test and electronics test 2

30 km up / Photograh the curvature of the earth

100 km up / Electronics test 3 / parachute test 2 / heat sheld first installement

Orbit (radio beacon, orbit for 3 orbits - 24 hours of orbiting)

Do you think this is possible, or could give any advice?

are you serious about reaching orbit? I assume youre not talking about KSP^^

I dont think that is possible without shit load of money and engineering knowledge.

Start try to reach some km will be hard enough I think

Can 5-10 teenagers get a rocket into orbit? I hope so...
I fear they can\'t.

Start by reviewing existing light satellite and suborbital launchers. E.g. Safir-2 which lifted 27 kg into the low orbit weighs 26 tonnes. Even suborbital HEAT 1X weighs 1.5, quite a big thing to be built by 10 students (which, apart from everything else, need some time to learn and some way to fund their space program).

Also consider contacting some amateur rocket team like CSXT. I believe that coming involved into an existing project would be a bit more practical.

If Brazil, a major nation of almost 200 million people, can\'t make an orbital rocket, I kind of doubt a bunch of teenagers can do it.

Good God man! Pad explosions, in flight failures. Wait, if I play KSP why am I surprised?

Anyway, you\'re going to need lots of money and several degrees to go suborbital. I\'d say stick with hobby rockets, but you never know.

You should probably have a look to see if there is any active amateur rocketry in your area, and speak to them. That\'ll be a good place to start with rocketry.

Orbit is out of the question, however, unless at least one of you happens to be a billionaire.

A more realistic option would be a balloon

Sure it might not be a rocket, but at least you can actually send something up there at a low cost.

Agreed. Young Students have been known to do this before, too.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

Thank you for you encouraging words. S:|

Funding is planned to be...

Engine tests - School funded

Rockets - Sponsorship?

No launch from balloon, rocket only.

Yes we will contact the right athoritys.

Yes we are not meaning in ksp and we are serious. Thats why its on the offtopic forum. And it won\'t just be us alone, we will have help (hopefully) from a University and several other sources

Thank you for you encouraging words. S:|

Funding is planned to be...

Engine tests - School funded

Rockets - Sponsorship?

No launch from balloon, rocket only.

Yes we will contact the right athoritys.

Yes we are not meaning in ksp and we are serious. Thats why its on the offtopic forum. And it won\'t just be us alone, we will have help (hopefully) from a University and several other sources

If you manage to get an object into orbit (even if its, like, a toothbrush or something) then you get massive props from me.

However, I will have to see it to believe it.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

If you manage to get an object into orbit (even if its, like, a toothbrush or something) then you get massive props from me.

However, I will have to see it to believe it.

Would hearing it on a radio work?

Sorry pal, this is wishful thinking.

I note that you don\'t want to use a balloon or plane (which would be insanely cool!), so I had an idea as zany as yours:

Climb Everest or K2. They\'re so tall that the average, $50 model rocket could likely make it to the mesosphere!

are you serious about reaching orbit? I assume youre not talking about KSP^^

I dont think that is possible without shit load of money and engineering knowledge.

Start try to reach some km will be hard enough I think

I disagree. I say good for him! GO! I wish my school would give me funding for something like that. They\'d probably look at me like I was crazy...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.