[PLUGIN, PART, 0.15+] crxTelemetryMk2 Module alpha

Corax

Thanks for the update.

This new version seems to have solved my problem with it playing the activate sound when it should play the transmit sound.

You\'re welcome, and glad to hear.

While I didn\'t change the sounds or events they are played on, from now on sounds should also play only when the module is de-/activated or transmitting, and not every time a telemetry module comes off rails.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you can. I haven't used the plugin, but it transmits the data via TCP or UDP, so you can transmit it via the internet. There are a few problems, however. By default, your friends router will not allow traffic to enter on a port that it does not know, so you'd have to set up port forwarding accordingly. In addition to that, most ISPs don't provide you with a static IP unless you pay extra, so you would have to frequently adjust the IP the data is transmitted to.

Can someone explain simply how I can get my telemetry to show up on a friend's computer -- who's miles away?

What lukasni said.

To transmit telemetry over the internet, you have to know your friend's IPv4 Address (something like "123.45.67.89"), or he has to have a DNS entry pointed to his machine (something like "mymachine.mydomain.net"). There are services for dial-up internet that change the DNS entry whenever you get a new address assigned on dial-up, some are free of charge.

Once you know that, your friend has to open a port to his machine on his router and/or firewall and start a receiver program [e.g. netcat or UDPreceiver (or Elderberry Ni, see below)], you have to edit your part.cfg and/or persistent.sfs to point to his address, and you're all set.

EDIT:

Note that I am not familiar with Elderberry Ni, but you should be able to do the same with that program; in addition to the steps mentioned above, basically you would have to download the Elderberry package on both computers (just to make sure one has the rocket part, and the other one has the visualization program). The sender has to edit the Elderberry's part.cfg to point to the receiver's address instead of localhost or 127.0.0.1, while the receiver fires up the Elderberry program.

Edited by Corax
more info as requested per PM ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I could really use some help with this. I wanna send the data to my brothers laptop. He's on the same Wifi as me and i got him to install Elderberry Ni with the IP set to 127.0.0.1

But when i launch the rocket with the telemetry all set up nothing happens for him.

He's on the same Wifi as me and i got him to install Elderberry Ni with the IP set to 127.0.0.1

You have to set your brother's IP address in your telemetry plugin's part.cfg

Also he has to make sure his firewall allows incoming traffic from your IP address, and probably point his Elderberry Ni to your IP address as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi all!

Has anybody been able to use this in 0.19? I've tried "everything" now.. and I cant get any telemetry. I think something might be wrong because I cannot right click the thing and "activate" and/or get info about it like you can do to the other rocket parts. The authors description does call for "the telemetry module is activated like any other part; you can put it in a separate stage or activate it together with other parts". It just not working. Please help.

Hi all!

Has anybody been able to use this in 0.19? I've tried "everything" now.. and I cant get any telemetry. I think something might be wrong because I cannot right click the thing and "activate" and/or get info about it like you can do to the other rocket parts. The authors description does call for "the telemetry module is activated like any other part; you can put it in a separate stage or activate it together with other parts". It just not working. Please help.

The module should work; the problem is activating it. Since the KSP staging system was overhauled (0.18 IIRC), parts don't get assigned a stage icon automatically anymore, so you can't rearrange the module's staging sequence. Currently the only way to activate it is with the final logical stage, and only if it's still part of that same physical stage. As a workaround you could edit your safe file and change the part's state=1 and LaunchState=True (requires you to exit to the main menu and/or reload, and be sure to make a backup before)

KSP is currently a bit on the back burner, but either I will get around to fixing it sometime (just don't hold your breath), or you could have a look at the sources yourself.

The module should work; the problem is activating it. Since the KSP staging system was overhauled (0.18 IIRC), parts don't get assigned a stage icon automatically anymore, so you can't rearrange the module's staging sequence. Currently the only way to activate it is with the final logical stage, and only if it's still part of that same physical stage. As a workaround you could edit your safe file and change the part's state=1 and LaunchState=True (requires you to exit to the main menu and/or reload, and be sure to make a backup before)

KSP is currently a bit on the back burner, but either I will get around to fixing it sometime (just don't hold your breath), or you could have a look at the sources yourself.

Hi Corax!

Thank you for your fast response! :)

I'll give it a try and report back! Really looking forward to getting telemetry!

If I get the motivation I might just brush up on my long forgotten programming skills :D

Tested it now. It works by doing what you suggested. I was also able to make it work using quicksave and quickload. I tested both the provided .exe reader, and with netcat.

• 1 month later...
will there be any updates to support ksp 0.20.?? ????

I sure hope so...

With 0.21 just around the corner, there will certainly be no more update for .20; I'll see what I can do for .21 when it's out.

Please do update. No other telemetry is as useful as this. This has a configurable cfg and includes lat, long and mission time. Very simple things but important points of reference the other data collectors don't have.

long/lat is crucial for surface mapping and flight time is important for flight telemetry. This mod had both - priceless!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
has anyone been able to get this to work with 0.20.2????????

real shame if this has been lost .

I'm really sorry I have to say that I can't update the plugin for the foreseeable time.

If anybody wants to step in, please feel free to do so; the source code is included in the download, and it isn't a terribly complicated plugin to begin with.

The main thing to be done is to include a way to activate/deactivate the module via right-click, since the old way of (ab)using the staging system doesn't work anymore. This shouldn't be too hard to implement, but I can't get around to do it myself at the moment.

I still visit the forum on a somewhat regular basis and will try and assist wherever I can. I make no guarantees that I will pick up on this again at a later date, but never say never and all that... ;)

Thank you all for your enthusiasm, and sorry again if I let you down :(

Oh and PLEASE mods, keep this thread open for discussion/development. "Necro" hunters, I'm looking at you!

I'm really sorry I have to say that I can't update the plugin for the foreseeable time.

If anybody wants to step in, please feel free to do so; the source code is included in the download, and it isn't a terribly complicated plugin to begin with.

The main thing to be done is to include a way to activate/deactivate the module via right-click, since the old way of (ab)using the staging system doesn't work anymore. This shouldn't be too hard to implement, but I can't get around to do it myself at the moment.

I still visit the forum on a somewhat regular basis and will try and assist wherever I can. I make no guarantees that I will pick up on this again at a later date, but never say never and all that... ;)

Thank you all for your enthusiasm, and sorry again if I let you down :(

Oh and PLEASE mods, keep this thread open for discussion/development. "Necro" hunters, I'm looking at you!

Corax, I will take a look at the code and see if I think that I might be able to take this over and run with it. No promises, it will have to fit in with my 'other' work, but I don't want this to die.. Especially now that there are some really nice other mods for programming the probes and such.

Good luck, and I might have to contact you if I get really stumped.... Thanks DrTedAstro.

• 1 month later...

Oh, I just came to see if this was still being worked on, and what do you know..?

Yes please.

I used this to do some crazy things, like, orbital path over surface in real time... in my IRC client. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19231999/mIRC-KSP_TeleData.PNG

And started fooling with data logging and display. Here's one for velocity vs time. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19231999/KSP%20Telemetry.png

This is really awesome is what I'm saying. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.