m8 Engine - Low thrust/high efficiency engine for small probes

JoePatrick1

This tiny engine gives out a small amount of thrust however in a vacuum, has very high efficiency to make up for it. It requires its own special fuel tanks containing hydrazine and hydrogen peroxide. Also includes a short and tall adapter for the engine. Full part info in images section.

Screenshots:

635427685668128494.png

screenshot9.png

engine.PNG

adapter.PNG

0tank.PNG

3tank.PNG

DOWNLOAD

All rights reserved

Edited by JoePatrick1

Nice, I might give it a go.

I'm just not too sure about the mass of the engine, 900 kg seems a bit much, I believe 90 kg would be more realistic. And ehm ... is the vacuum ISP a science based value or more in the realm of science fiction?

Nice, I might give it a go.

I'm just not too sure about the mass of the engine, 900 kg seems a bit much, I believe 90 kg would be more realistic. And ehm ... is the vacuum ISP a science based value or more in the realm of science fiction?

The reason I made it so heavy was just to balance it a bit more - you can adjust it in the config if you want. The ISP is just a number I made up based on the nuclear & ion engines.

Any chemical propellant has a theoretical Isp limit based on the energy produced and the molecular masses of the combustion products. http://astronautix.com/props/h2oazine.htm gives the vacuum limit for hydrazine/HTP as 327 s, with the best chemical reactions that have been discovered (hydrogen/fluorine) capable of 470.

Anything above the upper 400s has to be obtained by supplying additional energy from outside the propellant. Nuclear engines use heat from a nuclear reactor, and ion engines use electricity.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.