.24.2 Realism Overhaul Craft Repository

Hey all,

This thread is intended to be the repository for all craft designed and built to be flown with Realism Overhaul.

As a minimum, the craft here will need all of the required supporting mods listed in the realism overhaul thread, and possibly more depending on the author.

I will add craft into this first post as they are added by their authors.

Replica Craft

Replica Launch Vehicles (i.e. rockets only. eg Boeing Delta Family, Ariane V, etc)

NinjaWeasel's Boeing Delta Family

Ophiuchus' Delta III

Ophiuchus' Delta IV S

Replica Command Modules/Landers/Integrated Systems (eg. Saturn/Apollo, Falcon 9 type vehicles)

Replica Orbiters (eg, Buran, Space Shuttle)

Non-Replica Craft

Non-Replica Launch Vehicles

Non-Replica Command Modules/Landers/Integrated Systems

TeeGee's 3 Man Pod Launch System Starling 1

Non-Replica Orbiters

Edited by ninjaweasel

My own contribution: The Boeing Delta Family of Rockets from the Delta II on to the Delta IV. Many thanks to Ophiuchus to helping me figure out how to try to separate 6 boosters without blowing up my launch vehicles. In fact, the included first stage of the Delta III here is largely his design.

This pack contains all of the sub-assemblies required to build any one of the Delta variants listed below from the 6XXX up, with the exception of the payload kick stages which I haven't included, but for KSP purposes are really just an engine and a tank. Kick engines are included in Realism Overhaul. I've included one fully assembled Delta II 6920 with a Comm Sat on it as an example.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vj4etkb2lzzq5ke/Delta%20Family%20Rocket%20Sub%20Assemblies.zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/13cct93nfgc66u0/Comm%20Sat%20on%20Delta%20II%206920.craft

Notes:

- Additional Mod Packs required above and beyond RO for these craft include Klockhheed Martian Smart Parts, Davon Thrust Control (Delta IV H only), And Wolf Aeronautics Perfectrons (that's just off the top of my head, there may be more)

- When using 9 booster configurations, there is a tendency for your jettisoned boosters to be flung against your craft, destroying it. I have discovered that there is no "One size fits all fix for this". Add/re-position sepatrons as required to get a clean separation. What works with a 1t payload may not work with a 4t payload. (Edit: The new thrust curves may solve this thanks to residual thrust in the booster when it is jettisoned. Flight testing Required)

- I don't recommend using MechJeb ascent guidance autopilot (I also turn off SAS during ascents). I find that at booster separation, things go badly. I recommend setting your ascent profile, selecting "show Nav Ball Guidance", then flying that profile with SmartASS.

- This is my first time posting craft, so I've probably screwed something up. Let me know and I'll do my best to fix any problems.

"The Delta launch vehicle was always viewed as an interim launch vehicle in NASA's stable, and was used to retain an intermediate size orbital payload capability until larger launch vehicles were developed. The Delta Project Manager at NASA, Bill Schindler, had a knack for keeping the program alive. He would participate in the launch vehicle assignment process, and when he found that Headquarters was about to kill the Delta on the grounds that a new mission exceeded its capabilities, he would assure them that Delta could do the job. Then he would challenge his technical staff, and often with the aid of the prime contractor, McDonnell Douglas, and our Goddard technical staff, to figure out a way to extend the flight envelope. This process occurred many times, and it was extremely difficult as production launch vehicles are not meant to undergo such constant changes in design. Delta payloads grew from about 200 lbm in low earth orbit in 1960 to about 4100 lbm in geosynchronous orbit by 1990."

The configuration of Delta vehicles was encoded for forty years as follows:

First digit: basic vehicle configuration:

0 = Castor 2 solid propellant strap-ons, Long Tank Thor core with MB-3 engine

1 = Castor 2 strap-ons, Extended Long Tank core with MB-3 engine

2 = Castor 2 strap-ons, Extended Long Tank core with RS-27 engine (derived from surplus H-1 engines of the Saturn IB).

3 = Castor 4 solid propellant strap-ons, Extended Long Tank core with RS-27 engine

4 = Castor 4A strap-ons, Extended Long Tank core with MB-3 engine

5 = Castor 4A strap-ons, Extended Long Tank core with RS-27 engine

6 = Castor 4A strap-ons, Extra Extended Long Tank core with RS-27 engine

7 = GEM-40 solid propellant strap-ons, Extra Extended Long Tank core with RS-27A engine

8 = GEM-46 solid propellant strap-ons, Delta-3 strengthened Extra Extended Long Tank core with RS-27A engine

9 = GEM-60 solid propellant strap-ons, Delta-4 Lox/LH2 cryogenic core with RS-68 engine.

Second digit: Number of solid propellant strap-ons (0, 3, or 9 prior to Delta IV. 0, 2, or 4 for Delta-4).

Third digit: Second stage

0 = Delta storable propellant stage with AJ10-118 series engines

1 = Delta storable propellant stage with TR-201 engines (surplus TRW Apollo Lunar Module upper stage engines)

2 = Delta K storable propellant stage with AJ10-118K engine

3 = Delta-3 Lox/LH2 cryogenic upper stage with RL10B-2 engine

4 = Delta-4 Lox/LH2 cryogenic upper stage with 4 m diameter

5 = Delta-4 Lox/LH2 cryogenic upper stage with 5 m diameter

Fourth digit: Third stage

0 = No third stage

1 = Not used

2 = Not used

3 = Star 37D / TE-364-3 solid propellant kick stage

4 = Star 37E / TE-364-4 solid propellant kick stage

5 = Star-48B / PAM-D solid propellant kick stage (often listed as '0' upper stage with a PAM-D due to the modular nature of the PAM configuration).

6 = Star 37FM solid propellant kick stage

Optional letter after fourth character: An 'H' here indicated a 'Heavy' configuration. For Delta II, this was use of 46 inch diameter GEM solid strap-on motors in place of the standard Castor motors. For Delta IV, it indicated use of two strap-on Common Booster Cores (CBC) to supplement the CBC on the core stage.

Encyclopedia Astronautica

Delta II 6920

nIGQWvD.png

Delta III 8930

QSqGGYh.png

Delta IV Heavy

TXBpb2s.png

Edited by ninjaweasel

I'm pretty sure they're Procedural Parts. I recognize the texture.

Otherwise, that's a great idea you got here. I would recommend giving the non-replica craft some love too and give them separate categories, like you've given replicas. Once I get some of my issues fixed, I might put some fun things here myself, I have some nice design features I haven't seen anyone else make, so they might just be original enough for this.

Here's my Delta III with 3.1 t comsat, and launch video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/snxkbu28n1evotl/Kappa%20III.craft

The Delta III actually has pretty ideal T/W ratio the whole time, just start the gravity turn at around 10 seconds and follow the prograde vector out of the atmosphere.

This uses parts from the KW, Procedural Parts, Procedural Fairings, and RemoteTech packs. I don't believe any other parts packs are required.

Edited by Ophiuchus

What are those blue tanks? Are they ProceduralParts or another mod?

Procedural Parts. They make it easiest to measure lengths. So when a website tells me that the Delta IV CBC is xx meters long, I build a procedural tank that long as a measuring stick, then build the actual tank, engine and other parts to match that length. To try to use pre-made tank lengths and get accurate vehicle sizes would be very difficult, and would involve a lot more parts, and probably some wasted mass.

I would recommend giving the non-replica craft some love too and give them separate categories, like you've given replicas. Once I get some of my issues fixed, I might put some fun things here myself, I have some nice design features I haven't seen anyone else make, so they might just be original enough for this.

Done!

Delta II 7920 + Spin Stabilized Kick Stage

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iot1krwvluc1jqh/Kappa%20II%207295.craft

Hypersonic booster sep at ~15km is still a pain, being exactly aligned with the prograde vector and crossing your fingers helps a lot (note I was slightly off in the video, hence one of the boosters derping. I think it got taken out by G forces though since the tank remained intact)

This requires KW, AIES, RemoteTech, Procedural Parts + Fairings, and probably NovaPunch. It also needs the config file for the GEM 40s, at least until RO officially includes them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqs4xv9cg9f45of/GEM40.cfg

Edited by Ophiuchus

Is this the FASA Apollo capsule?

Delta II 7920 + Spin Stabilized Kick Stage

http://youtu.be/U-WA08fnir4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iot1krwvluc1jqh/Kappa%20II%207295.craft

Hypersonic booster sep at ~15km is still a pain, being exactly aligned with the prograde vector and crossing your fingers helps a lot (note I was slightly off in the video, hence one of the boosters derping. I think it got taken out by G forces though since the tank remained intact)

This requires KW, AIES, RemoteTech, Procedural Parts + Fairings, and probably NovaPunch. It also needs the config file for the GEM 40s, at least until RO officially includes them.

This looks interesting!

Could you describe the pattern you're using for your COMsat network? (I'm just starting with Realism Overhaul and this looks more complex than the simple three satellite network I'm used to from stock kerbin)

Is the spinning purely "for effects" or is it needed (the probe looks so symmetrical)?

Did you use a tool to calculate the RCS fuels needed? I wouldn't have thought that they would be sufficient for the circularization…

Are the solar panels from the Near Future packs or from NovaPunch? Or AIES?

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by mecki
added questions on Ophiuchus' video

There s already one of these threads, the RealSolarSystem craft showcase. This will most likely be merged like the lsst one

This is true, but this is a repository where people can come and instantly find files to download. The showcase has some downloads but many people just post pictures there. :wink:

Procedural Parts. They make it easiest to measure lengths. So when a website tells me that the Delta IV CBC is xx meters long, I build a procedural tank that long as a measuring stick, then build the actual tank, engine and other parts to match that length. To try to use pre-made tank lengths and get accurate vehicle sizes would be very difficult, and would involve a lot more parts, and probably some wasted mass.

Make sure to account for engine length when doing these calculations. When they say, for example, that the core stage of the SLS is 64.6 meters, that's including the length of the RS-25, which is 4.3 meters. The actual length of the fuel tank is around 60.3 meters. (though, there is now a pre-made SLS fuel tank in RSS, thanks to RedAV8R :) )

Edited by Woopert

I am having an issue with TWR. Prior to launch I have a TWR of 1.50 ish. Once I launch TWR drops to below 1 and launch fails. It appears to occur only with your vessels which have SRBs on them anything with liquid fuel reads correct. I just installed .24 and associated mods for RO/RSS. Is there any tricks to get the TWR right? Your vehicles look amazing and I cannot wait to use them but now I cannot figure out this issue. Thanks for your hard work.

I am having an issue with TWR. Prior to launch I have a TWR of 1.50 ish. Once I launch TWR drops to below 1 and launch fails. It appears to occur only with your vessels which have SRBs on them anything with liquid fuel reads correct. I just installed .24 and associated mods for RO/RSS. Is there any tricks to get the TWR right? Your vehicles look amazing and I cannot wait to use them but now I cannot figure out this issue. Thanks for your hard work.

I think this is supposed to be in the Realism Overhaul Mod thread, not in the Craft Repository. I already mentioned this bug with SRBs there yesterday.

This looks interesting!

Could you describe the pattern you're using for your COMsat network? (I'm just starting with Realism Overhaul and this looks more complex than the simple three satellite network I'm used to from stock kerbin)

Is the spinning purely "for effects" or is it needed (the probe looks so symmetrical)?

Did you use a tool to calculate the RCS fuels needed? I wouldn't have thought that they would be sufficient for the circularization…

Are the solar panels from the Near Future packs or from NovaPunch? Or AIES?

The comsats are three planes with three comsats each (deployed all at once) at 10Mm so there's always a satellite close by for launches. One plane is equatorial, another is the same plane as the moon's orbit, and the last is the same inclination but with the opposite argument of periapsis. The GEO sats are mostly for interplanetary coms, but have one antenna pointed at the planet. Overkill, but its pretty :) To make sure I had enough RCS I just attached a N2O4/MMH thruster to it, made sure there was well over 1800m/s, then removed the thruster heh. The solar panels are AIES. And the spinning is mostly for fun, but it's actually helpful if you want to time warp through the burn; its better than SAS at keeping the vector pointed the right direction using RCS.

Yeah the last RealFuels update implemented SRB thrust profiles, and the ones in the RO pack all start at around .4 max thrust and build up full over a period of time. I modified the GEM40s used on my Delta II to produce full thrust at ignition, then a bit of a bucket, then higher thrust till they peter out:

I recommend doing what the actual Delta II did, and ignite the air lit motors as the thrust from the first 6 is approaching 0, then eject the ground lit ones when they're producing ~20kN. The remaining thrust actually helps steer them away from the vehicle.

TeeGee, do you want to post your craft files or are you going to keep that beauty all to yourself? =)

Absolutely. Remember to throttle down during ascent to prevent G overload though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8diwz0exap0b5j3/Starling-1.craft

Make sure you have ROS mods, KW rocketry, AIES, tac lifesupport, FASA, procedural parts, space shuttle engines and remote tech.

Edited by TeeGee

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.