The Super Rover-Pull Cup 2014

WELCOME

to the

SUPER ROVER-PULL CUP 2014

GXtnPhu.png

Introduction:

If real world has tractor pulling, then KSP has rover-pulling! In this challenge, you must build a rover that's subject to a weight limit that can in turn pull a specified weight. Simple right? Not! There are 3 Weight Classes to compete in: Heavyweight (83T), Super Heavyweight (166T), Ultra Heavyweight (250T). Each weight division has its own leaderboards.

Mechanics:

• Pick your weight division and download the craft file for that division.
  • The craft files go into your SPH folder.
  • No other weights are allowed except for the provided craft files.
  • The wheels for the weights have been disabled and steer-locked. It's supposed to stay that way.
  • Tampering with the weight is prohibited.
  • Build a rover that can pull the weight in your desired division. Rovers themselves CANNOT EXCEED 7 TONS.
  • Rovers are not allowed to have any solar panels or RTGs. Pack what you can in that 7 ton limit!
  • The rover is connected to the weight by means of docking ports. Direct attachment is NOT ALLOWED.
  • Before your attempt starts, make sure the brakess are engaged or the weight craft secured with launch clamps. Rover wheels are known to roll forward on their own even with no power.
  • Once your rover disassembles or runs out of resources, IMMEDIATELY log your Total Distance Traveled via F3. Unfortunately with that wheel bug, momentum can go infinite.
    9Fhm4Dk.png
  • Screenshots (or even videos) of your attempt are required. Your rover, its weight, and of course the final distance log.
  • Mods that alter rover wheel performance such as TV Aerospace parts are NOT ALLOWED!

DOWNLOAD WEIGHTS HERE!

Heavyweight (83 Tons)

5TEXPOq.png

Super Heavyweight (166 Tons)

32rOTHH.png

Ultra Heavyweight (250 Tons)

HHG7974.png

LEADERBOARDS

Heavyweight Division

Super Heavyweight Division

1. mangekyou-sama, 130M

Ultra Heavyweight Division

ACHIEVABLE ACHIEVEMENTS

• NO FUEL, NO PROBLEM - Achieve a distance greater than 2000M using only wheels.
  • GO THE DISTANCE - Traverse the whole length of the KSP runway!
  • GO THE DISTANCE...AND BACK - Traverse the whole length of the KSP runway and reverse all the way back to starting point!
  • LIGHTWEIGHT WARRIOR - Achieve a distance greater than 2000M using a rover under 3 Tons.

Got ideas for more achievements? Feel free to suggest!

Edited by mangekyou-sama
Rule Additions

This shouldn't be too hard... use the small probe, make a frame out of the tiny blocks (now physic-less and weightless!), attach as many wheels as possible and then one liquid fuel tank with one jet engine and one intake for electricity! and BAM! That's it. Then all you need to do is change the ratio of fuel to wheels until you have the best possible combo. Not much too it... and struts are physic-less as well, so strength isn't a problem either. Can't be bothered to make that car. XD

I have a feeling someone is going to do the infity glider glitch to infinitely pull this. :P

*cracks knuckles* I got this. I'll have an entry up very soon(before KPE2 hopefully)

EDIT:1- I overestimated the time I had 2-I wish the docking port was higher.

Already started.

On a different topic, what if Danny2462, is actually an another KSP youtuber in disguise?

Edited by KotDemopan

Can we turn off the fuel flow in the weights, or is it already off? Also, are these weight crafts or subassemblies?

Fuel dont seem to flow from the tanks when I was testing. But you can still double check for good measure. These are independent crafts. I could try uploading them as subassemblies but you could always build from the weight's docking port for optimal alignment.

Fuel dont seem to flow from the tanks when I was testing. But you can still double check for good measure. These are independent crafts. I could try uploading them as subassemblies but you could always build from the weight's docking port for optimal alignment.

I was wondering about the crafts being subassemblies as if they're not EXACTLY the specified weight it could mess up making sure the rover is not over 7 tons.

I was wondering about the crafts being subassemblies as if they're not EXACTLY the specified weight it could mess up making sure the rover is not over 7 tons.

The craft themselves dont have the exact specified weight although it's just a matter of decimals. If you use MechJeb or Engineer, check the starting weight,build your rover, check weight again and do the math.

Am I allowed to use struts inbetween the weight and rover? The docking ports have a VERY weak connection that can ruin attempts due to glitchiness (Phantom force making the craft swerve to the right for no reason).

Edited by mike9606

My Attempt at the Heavyweight.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I did the match and the weight limit for the heavyweight is 90.470 tons including the weight itself, so it is within the weight limit. I did use 2 struts to keep the rover and the weight attached as without them the connection would stretch and look as if it was disconnected and eventually cause phantom forces to break the wheels on the weight.

My Attempt at the Heavyweight.

http://imgur.com/a/UyFkO

I did the match and the weight limit for the heavyweight is 90.470 tons including the weight itself, so it is within the weight limit. I did use 2 struts to keep the rover and the weight attached as without them the connection would stretch and look as if it was disconnected and eventually cause phantom forces to break the wheels on the weight.

I haven't had that issue with the weights on the wheel during my test. Great attempt but you can only connect the rover via the docking port. Nothing else. That provides another challenge in itself. During my tests, I go too fast and the weight behind me pushes me suddenly off track.

BTW, do you use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement?

Edit: *reluctantly raises hand* Do massless parts count toward the maximum tonnage?

Like what?

It should.

can you use the claw?

Nope. Only the docking port.

My entry for the 166t category- it's not particularly stable without the weights, but there is no rule against two-wheeled rovers, sooo...

screenshot11_zps9a8d01c4.png

screenshot13_zpsa9b1c1e6.png

screenshot16_zpsa78af329.png

screenshot19_zpseb92e04e.png

KER says the puller is just under 3 tons, but the battery packs are massless and don't contribute to its total weight. That's why I asked :)

I haven't had that issue with the weights on the wheel during my test. Great attempt but you can only connect the rover via the docking port. Nothing else. That provides another challenge in itself. During my tests, I go too fast and the weight behind me pushes me suddenly off track.

BTW, do you use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement?

Like what?

It should.

Nope. Only the docking port.

I don't user KJR as of now. Really you should edit the first post to say KJR is recommended and have spots for KJR users and Non-KJR users.

Well, since you didn't say it had to be stock parts you may decide to disqualify this entry on other grounds... or you may allow it based on ingenuity. Your choice.

Rover weight. 6.91 tons

Completed everything except the lightweight category.

Pull1.png

Pull2.png

Pull3.png

Pull4.png

Pull5.png

i got some complaints..... the weight distribution is not spread well enough. i can't go more than 100m without breaking at least 5 wheels.....

and is using the small port on purpose? this thing literally cant be turned.....

oh doing the ultra heavy weight btw

Edited by Koolkei

Well, here's my entry to the ULTRA HEAVY.

Yes, exploits occured, but I stayed to the letter of the law.

As to why the "out of resources" clause didn't instantly invalidate it, it had a spare battery right behind the Kerbal

I spoiled the pics because they will just turn this into a arms race of exploits, so please don't open spoiler until you've done it yourself (This means you)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I figure it:

No fuel, no problem

Lighter than 3 tons (forgot the name of achievement)

206m

Edited by Darthzeus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.