What are the SSTV?

Ghostexx7

So i never heard of these easter eggs, i dont even know what "SSTV" means, but i saw an image, and i was like "lolwut how they got that image", are they in a rock or what? or its obtained by clicking on something? or what? D:

Im really interested

So i never heard of these easter eggs, i dont even know what "SSTV" means, but i saw an image, and i was like "lolwut how they got that image", are they in a rock or what? or its obtained by clicking on something? or what? D:

Im really interested

a simple google will bring you to wiki :) Its explained there quit good http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSTV . Where to find it in KSP ? On Duna , but as far as i know its gone at the moment (since 0.23 if i remember correct)

The *cough*"structure"*cough* is still on Duna, but the SSTV signal from it is several hundred meters below the surface, so good luck trying to clip your camera through the surface, because I haven't had any luck with that.

Edited by turkwinif

The *cough*"structure"*cough* is still on Duna, but the SSTV signal from it is several hundred meters below the surface, so good luck trying to clip your camera through the surface, because I haven't had any luck with that.

Waaaait, that structure? You mean the face?

Waaaait, that structure? You mean the face?

No, IIRC it was a pointy mountain or something, and when Dunas terrain changed it was burried? I didn't know it changed, but maybe on different terrain detail it may appear. If your camera is near the "SSTV point" a Slow-scan-tele-vision sound will play. Face does nothing. And yes, spoilers are back, they have been for awhile now.

Sstv is an image converted to audio, its a very bad way to transfer images, but is used, there is no tool in kerbal to record and decode Sstv, but you can use an external program.

As they changed the terrain in 0.22/0.23? The audio source is underground :I .

When decoded it gives a extrange image, when Nova was a developer, he decided to add a lot of Sstv easter eggs, but it is not added.

Yet :o

Im really interested

The way it worked was if you were in a certain place you would hear an audio signal in your speakers. If you fed that signal into an SSTV decoder, it would spit out that image. You didn't need any specialized equipment in-game to receive it or decode it, it was just there. You had to do some google-fu to find a stand-alone SSTV decoder and patch it in IRL.

Best,

-Slashy

I mis Nova... ever since he left nothing interesting has been added to the planets for us to go look for or explore... or new planets. And many of the old easter eggs have been buried or don't function properly... such as the Duna SSTV signal.

I suppose they could be waiting to add that type of stuff for later in the development cycle... after they've added all the systems and are on to adding content... And I understand why they would do that. Doesn't mean I can't wish for some more meaty content to look at.

Basically on Duna there was another place ... not the face... that was unusual. That place has now been mostly buried and looks less unusual than it did before. When you got close to this place you would hear an very artificial sounding noise. If you knew what an SSTV signal was before hand you would recognize it as one. You would then have to record the audio and put it through a separate program to get an image.

I've never really liked the signal because of the fact it would be impossible for people who had never heard of SSTV signals before to recognize it and then decode it. I think it shuts people out... I think if you're going to have a puzzle it should be solvable with in game tools and logic alone. Now that we have the science gathering system in place I think it could be made to "gather" the signal and being it back to KSC for processing into the image... It can't do that now... I think in the future they should make it able to do that. KSP science isn't interesting unless there are mysteries to be revealed about the worlds through it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.