The First Contracts in Career

I think that the first contracts in career should be different.

You are able to gather science from the launch pad and the runway. Your first contracts should be to test the command pod, the sample collection system, the eva report system, crew report system, and also to transmit some science from the launchpad and the runway.

These first contracts would get the player understanding all of the possible reports that are available, how to collect them, and get the first few science points to unlock the first tier in the tech tree.

Then you can go to 5km, space, orbit, and along down the line.

What do you think?

I like it, though they don't have any specific science contracts yet, maybe the framework isn't in place for that.

I'm sorry, but that's not true. I get frequent science contracts, all on the line 'Fetch scientific data from orbit around XY.' To replace 'orbit' with 'Launch Pad' isn't breaking the current framework, it's just an environment setting that is checked upon filing the crew report anyways.

I'm sorry, but that's not true. I get frequent science contracts, all on the line 'Fetch scientific data from orbit around XY.' To replace 'orbit' with 'Launch Pad' isn't breaking the current framework, it's just an environment setting that is checked upon filing the crew report anyways.

They're not specific enough and they ask for measurements with no scientific value. For example I have all scientific measurements from Mun orbit done and recovered to 100% and I'm still getting contracts for them.

It would be nice if the game picked a measurement that has not be done yet and gave you contract on that. Such as perform temperature measurement at Mun highlands and transmit/recover it.

They're not specific enough and they ask for measurements with no scientific value.

Well, since first starters would a) play a tutorial like in any other game and B) not have done any scientific reading prior to the proposed contract, it would be of value (otherwise the contract would be retracted). Although I do like the idea of contracts asking for specific data of value, it's not the OPs intention (as far as I can read that), and I wouldn't like those null contracts be killed (they make such a good money grinder).

The OP did ask for that.

Your first contracts should be to test the command pod, the sample collection system, the eva report system, crew report system, and also to transmit some science from the launchpad and the runway.

These first contracts would get the player understanding all of the possible reports that are available, how to collect them, and get the first few science points to unlock the first tier in the tech tree.

This plan REQUIRES the game to be able to specify these reports, else you'll have "Rockomax wants science from the runway" and then there's no indication to a new player that there's such a thing as a "crew report" or an "eva report."

I kind of like this idea. Ask the player to send all the basic science reports you start with, to at least make them aware crew reports, eva reports, surface samples etc exist. Alternatively, if this is included in a comprehensive tutorial, I think that would be a better option. Science is a critical part to progressing in the career. Making the mechanics of gathering science points a mystery is not an ideal way to run a space program.

They're not specific enough and they ask for measurements with no scientific value. For example I have all scientific measurements from Mun orbit done and recovered to 100% and I'm still getting contracts for them.

It would be nice if the game picked a measurement that has not be done yet and gave you contract on that. Such as perform temperature measurement at Mun highlands and transmit/recover it.

I like that they continue to request science, even though the techtree is complete. It gives you uses for long term probes and stuff. Perhaps the problem is the way they call it "Scence value". Maybe Tech tree points would be more appropriate.

This plan REQUIRES the game to be able to specify these reports...

You did get me wrong there - 'specific data of value' isn't quite the same as 'specific data', but then I could've clarified (remind me not to post that early morning). Although the game is pretty able to file them in the R&D building, so I doubt it can't be checked by the system, even if you gonna have to do the query on the science building for '2/3/4 reports filed for KSC-Launchpad'

Edited by M3tal_Warrior

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.