The Unconventionalist

TDOB

Some people find joy in launching colossal rockets and objects into orbit with powerful lifters they've designed. Others find joy in throwing ships at mind-numbing speeds and velocities towards other planets, or even simply around Kerbin. Some others still simply enjoy the creative and artistic side of launching crafts and sightseeing the Kerbol system.

I make the tiniest working probes possible and launch as many as possible towards stuff on a single rocket. Nothing makes me happier than docking half-tonne RCS-free satellites above the Minmus, or delivering little Xenon shipments to a noodle-thin refuelling station in low Kerban orbit. If anything does make me happier, it's making things more challenging and intricate. I've got plans to launch a craft to the Mün using only Mono/Xenon fuel and fully intend to start a "company" for these two-tonnes-or-less probes and satellites by the name of "Tiny, Tiny, Tiny Probes".

Hopefully I can meet a few more minimalist rocketeers, scientists and kerbonauts here. After all, big things are made up of tiny things, right?

Hello TDOB. Get to posting some pictures of those ships! :D (You will gain the ability to post pics after you post a couple more times and the forum software believes you are not a spambot.)
Hey Vanamonde! I'll make sure to post some pictures of my lighter ion probes in the thread when I get the chance. Maybe I'll take them out for a photo-shoot around Minmus. Either way, I'm glad you're interested!

I've been toying around with Ion landers around Minmus for the last week. Not too minimalist though - my best designs usually require a small degree of spamming massless parts (Like batteries and OX-Stats. Especially batteries). What battery setup do you use on your probes or do you try to go solar only?

I've been toying around with Ion landers around Minmus for the last week. Not too minimalist though - my best designs usually require a small degree of spamming massless parts (Like batteries and OX-Stats. Especially batteries). What battery setup do you use on your probes or do you try to go solar only?
My (somewhat) bigger probes are purely solar, but one of the smaller models uses four 1x6 panels with two Z-100 batteries strapped on the gaps. (They make a hexagon configuration.) It still has a little life after Kerbol sets and rarely eats any charge at all during space flight, even at full throttle.

By minimalistic do you mean low parts or compact ships

Also welcome to the forums

Commander jebidiah

Both, technically. Minimal parts, minimal size, minimal weight, minimal fuel, etc. It's all fair game.