name = XenonGas
ratio = 0.1
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 4200
}

}

Now, I wanted to change this engine so that it only runs on electricity. So I removed the XenonGas portion from the module. I then changed the max thrust from 2 to 40. Although I know the fuel intake scales with the thrust, I also wanted the it to require an even higher electric charge to operate as it no longer required xenon so I changed the ElectricCharge ratio from 1.8 to 3. This is what it looks like now:

MODULE{
name = ModuleEngines
thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
exhaustDamage = False
ignitionThreshold = 0.1
minThrust = 0
maxThrust = [COLOR=#ff0000]40[/COLOR]
heatProduction = 0
PROPELLANT
{
name = ElectricCharge
ratio = [COLOR=#ff0000]3[/COLOR]
}

atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 4200
}

}

What I got was an engine with a fuel consumption of infinity. I messed with the atmosphereCurve thinking that was the issue but no.

I am looking though the documentation on here but I have not found my mistake yet. I am sure it is something easy that I fouled up or missed. I suspect that "ratio" is the problem yet I don't understand how I can set the fuel consumption rate without it?

Well that was quick. Thank you :)

So in order for ModuleEngines to function, it requires fuel which has mass. being as I doubt squad wrote a module for a purely electric means of propulsion though space as it defies physics as we know it, I am probably going to have to write one.

Could you do me one last kindness? I have unity installed and at the project wizard, however I am not sure what packages to import in order to create a module. First time using it

You don't use Unity for coding; you write the plugin in C# and compile it. Here's the (old but AFAIK still valid) guide:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Plugins

You might want to, instead, do what FireSpitter does: have the ModuleEngines use a resource that the part itself (via a ModuleGenerator) creates. Check out FireSpitter's electric engines; they do this (using FSCoolant IIRC).

I will take a look at what FS did for his. I think I get the idea as I messed a little with the ModuleGenerator for a mater-antimater reactor mock up. But I think I will take the harder path and try coding something. That way I learn something about the game engine instead of just messing in config files.

Thanks for the link

I'll see ya around

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.