Issue with my lifter

So, I've been working on a semi-heavy lifter for getting big stuff into orbit.

Problem is, once I launch, when I drop the first stage of liquid rockets, it hits the center column rocket and it breaks off.

This is in the VAB, you can see that I've made some space between the columns to avoid this issue.

uFe5mLb.png

Removed the SRB's so you can see a bit better

pY6890n.png

And the result, most unfortunate for poor Bill

lISKzY3.png

Any tips? They are nowhere near each other and I'm using Sepratrons, but do I need to put them even further away?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Shawarmakriger

Those are very heavy boosters; they need a good kick to get them clear. If the top is rotating in to strike the core, move the Sepratrons up so that they push the top away. And, as mentioned above, move them out a bit so that the Sepratron exhaust doesn't damage the core.

If you place the Sepratrons right, you won't need to space out the boosters.

And yes, there is a bug at the moment that makes the radial decouplers direct their force lower than it should be. But even without the partial bug fix mentioned above, properly placed Sepratrons will negate the problem.

Incidentally, once you get the hang of Sepratrons, you can do all sorts of tricks with them. You can get your discarded boosters to do pretty acrobatics as they fall if you place them right.

Try to mount the boosters centered to the decoupler. Brace evenly above and below. Keep in mind that fuel lines also act as braces. Do not be turning your ship when you stage. If done right, the burned out boosters should slide straight down without hitting anything. Sepetrons, if needed, in pairs angled away from the center fuel tanks. And, if done right, you can mount the boosters much closer to the center core.

This all slid off with no issues of hitting or rotating. No braces or sepratons were used. The rocket, a low cost test the heavy Poodle escape Kerbal test and radical decoupler while escaping Kerbal. Two for one mission.

pL1i9n3.jpg

Edited by SRV Ron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.