Naval Battle Club

astecarmyman

Yes. ALL my ammo. mostly I-Beams. The SRMs were useless.

Meet zekes's ships. :P

Also, I have found that I-Beams are just a waste of parts for basically all but fighters; they are more or less incapable of actually damaging well-armored targets.

Where are the weapons located? I'm really curious. Is it hidden or something? where's the Engines? Very much like when the first encounter with the Borg it really is Mysterious.

The weapons are simply inside the vessel; they require no exit, as I realized I could simply undock them and phase them out of the ship with time warp. As for the engines, there is a shielded hub in the center of the ship consisting of eight MK2 Cargo Bays; when "locked," they completely seal off and protect the engines, whereas opening/closing them (it is different for each set) frees a path for the exhaust to exit.

7 layers? Aaaah. Good thing the XXX has 11 km/s range and has 14 Poppers.

I think glass cannon syndrome shall afflict both of our vessels, though I have yet to test my shatterer missiles against the Drek XXX. Also, you cannot run without escaping the SOI, as my missiles have 2 km/s of delta-v by themselves, which means A: That you cannot outrange my ship; and B: That it does not even have to move to kill you. :P

I know most people's sweet spots, which is why my missiles always do so well

Perhaps you and I should battle--I do not seem to build like anyone else, so perhaps my vessels shall give you some pause. :D

Meet zekes's ships. :P

Also, I have found that I-Beams are just a waste of parts for basically all but fighters; they are more or less incapable of actually damaging well-armored targets.

Yep, i never carry them. EVER.

I think glass cannon syndrome shall afflict both of our vessels, though I have yet to test my shatterer missiles against the Drek XXX. Also, you cannot run without escaping the SOI, as my missiles have 2 km/s of delta-v by themselves, which means A: That you cannot outrange my ship; and B: That it does not even have to move to kill you. :P

Perhaps you and I should battle--I do not seem to build like anyone else, so perhaps my vessels shall give you some pause. :D

Don't forget the 2km limit- you have to fire under that range :D

Also, yes, we should battle, with our massive battleships facing off against one another.

Don't forget the 2km limit- you have to fire under that range

That rule does not make any sense, in my opinion; it just condemns you to lag and penalizes you for having long-range missiles, neither of which add anything to combat.

Also, yes, we should battle, with our massive battleships facing off against one another.

I fear my computer would enter "sunscreen mode"--I would get something like 30 spf if the Tesseract and the Drek XXX were within render distance of each other. :P

That rule does not make any sense, in my opinion; it just condemns you to lag and penalizes you for having long-range missiles, neither of which add anything to combat.

I fear my computer would enter "sunscreen mode"--I would get something like 30 spf if the Tesseract and the Drek XXX were within render distance of each other. :P

yeah, we could leave it out though, for our own battle ;D I have 1.5 m/s on my missiles.... and yes the lag would be IMMENSE!

yeah, we could leave it out though, for our own battle ;D I have 1.5 m/s on my missiles.... and yes the lag would be IMMENSE!

Hmm--my computer can definitely handle missile vs. target part counts. I wish to finish my frigate before I challenge you, however, as right now I have no good warships between 35 and 320 tons, which is rather restrictive...

Hmm--my computer can definitely handle missile vs. target part counts. I wish to finish my frigate before I challenge you, however, as right now I have no good warships between 35 and 320 tons, which is rather restrictive...

That is indeed restrictive

Exactly.

The weapons are simply inside the vessel; they require no exit, as I realized I could simply undock them and phase them out of the ship with time warp. As for the engines, there is a shielded hub in the center of the ship consisting of eight MK2 Cargo Bays; when "locked," they completely seal off and protect the engines, whereas opening/closing them (it is different for each set) frees a path for the exhaust to exit.

OMG! that's Genius! the enclosed weapon technique! even for the Engines! Although I could use the engine technique I guess not for now because I have a fairly safe engine. This brings weapons safety to another level. I was really planning to build a ship with it's armaments on the outside, spamming it while hoping it doesn't get shot during battle. Even if it was hit there will still be armament left.

Question: What is glass cannon syndrome?

Lol yeah the Borg cube looks intimidating. There's no weak spot that I can find (well maybe the engines with the opening and closing parts), other than that it may take a lot of missiles just to remove those layers of armor.

-

- - - Updated - - -

Shrapnel absorbent armor you say... I've been experimenting with that too. Has anyone ever tried using the giganto-wheels as armor? My tests have shown not too shabby.

I've considered that at some time but it's just too bulky and impractical to work with. If you come up something with it good let us know.

Exactly.

OMG! that's Genius! the enclosed weapon technique! even for the Engines! Although I could use the engine technique I guess not for now because I have a fairly safe engine. This brings weapons safety to another level. I was really planning to build a ship with it's armaments on the outside, spamming it while hoping it doesn't get shot during battle. Even if it was hit there will still be armament left.

Lol yeah the Borg cube looks intimidating. There's no weak spot that I can find (well maybe the engines with the opening and closing parts), other than that it may take a lot of missiles just to remove those layers of armor.

I've considered that at some time but it's just too bulky and impractical to work with. If you come up something with it good let us know.

Don't enclose your engines, they need a clear vector out the back. If the exhaust hits parts the engines don't produce any thrust. But... Ions and O-10s can still produce thrust if the exhaust hits parts.

A glass cannon has good offense (cannon) but no defense (glass). I think he's saying that most vessels would not survive their own armament being shot at them and so every turn is a kill with equally matched opponents.

Yes, the multi layer armor and the fact that it isn't long (and could break in half) in any direction could make it very tough. I developed a new weapon that can kill any ship if only another missile can punch a hole in the armor first, so seven layer armor will be very strong. But the Drek Thirty, on the other hand... Let's say I can guarantee a kill using any of my ships that can carry one 1.25m missile and this new weapon (it's only 2.5 tons and 0.625m so it can go on just about any ship).

Since shrapnel is small parts moving very fast, it could phase through plates. Your best bet is using many layers or thicker parts. Wheels are probably too unwieldy to use in most situations, but you could use small wheels to up-armor important parts or stick large wheels out like spines.

I had another idea for a weapon, haven't tried it yet. Our armor is built to defeat fast moving but relatively lightweight weapons. But what if a ship had a large "wrecking ball" that it could swing using radially placed engines to spin the ship, then release to impact the enemy ship? If the wrecking ball was made of all structural parts and you used a Claw, you could recover it and try again until you ran out of fuel. Or you can rendezvous with the target, release the ball on an impact trajectory, then move your ship so it misses.

OMG! that's Genius! the enclosed weapon technique!

Thanks, but it is not really my idea--I simply realized that the phasing effects of time warp (to which I was introduced by Danny2462) could have practical applications.

It is simply a term I use to describe when the weapons in a game are far stronger than the armor that can be mounted for the same cost. KSP has a particularly bad case of it, but it is not the first game I have seen where this is the norm--if you have ever played Robocraft, you know what I mean.

Since shrapnel is small parts moving very fast, it could phase through plates. Your best bet is using many layers or thicker parts.

My accidental new shrapnel resistant armor has an absorbent layer that could muffle and catch lodged-in shrapnel from warheads and when you hit the middle layer then explodes outside instead of keeping it between the plates. (Hint: looks very much like a chocolate coated marshmallow LOL, with outer part comprising of plate armor)

I had another idea for a weapon, haven't tried it yet. Our armor is built to defeat fast moving but relatively lightweight weapons. But what if a ship had a large "wrecking ball" that it could swing using radially placed engines to spin the ship, then release to impact the enemy ship? If the wrecking ball was made of all structural parts and you used a Claw, you could recover it and try again until you ran out of fuel. Or you can rendezvous with the target, release the ball on an impact trajectory, then move your ship so it misses.

Ok, I took my turn, had a really lucky intercept, so i wasted no fuel. Unfortunately it was on the dark side of the planet, so terrible pics :P

DOWNLOAD: https://www./?sda6x65cnzerknj

I fired 4 missiles at your ship - pretty good damage, knocked out most of the weapons, and ruined the engines. Also, it's falling into Pol, and you have no power to correct, so she's probably a goner. Shes still in decaying orbit if you choose to ride her down, but again it's on the dark side so good luck.

Burn

Lj6MFt9.png

In range

NT2C2bx.png

after 1st and 2nd shots

1IGBqwa.png

3rd? shot

X0KSgHx.png

Her final status: Dark

h259G5X.png

Guys this is the first forum post I've made on my new computer! 1080x1920 is so much bigger then 1600x900... I have so much room in here now! And if my planning was good, I have a good enough computer to stream part intensive naval battles...

Edited by Avera9eJoe

The Nutter was a "Hardcase" im pretty sure. Good shots, if that is so, the hardcase class was designed to let rounds phase around and through its armour.

Yeah, it was really tough :P I think two of my shots hit from the wrong angle though, if I had hit it right i would have done more damage.

Guys this is the first forum post I've made on my new computer! 1080x1920 is so much bigger then 1600x900... I have so much room in here now! And if my planning was good, I have a good enough computer to stream part intensive naval battles...

Congrats! Everything is better with 1920x1080 :D

My accidental new shrapnel resistant armor has an absorbent layer that could muffle and catch lodged-in shrapnel from warheads and when you hit the middle layer then explodes outside instead of keeping it between the plates. (Hint: looks very much like a chocolate coated marshmallow LOL, with outer part comprising of plate armor)

I was actually thinking something similar like a chain shot a rocket powered rotating projectile very much like your "wrecking ball" but more of a one shot "double headed rotating hammer" but I think it is an over complicated weapon, I don't know if it's worth building.

http://www.thepirateking.com/images/cannon_projectile_examples.jpg

If you want to start using 18th and 19th century style weapons, then I just have to say that we already have some.

Take grape shot for example, in real-life it was used to kill the crew of an enemy ship by spraying musket balls in a conicle shape (This was used to great effect at the Battle of Trafalgar, where HMS Temeraire used grape shot to kill 400 French sailors with a single broadside), mine and Zekes' poppers act similarly, as they fragment and destroy the internals of a ship with good efficiency.

My SRBs act like round shot, punching holes in the enemy ship and destroying the internals afterwards.

I'm not sure how you could make a KSP equivalent of chain shot as in real-life is was made to destroy a ship's masts and rigging, neither of which are present on any of our ships.

Wrong quote attribution but true. I think Ejudedude had a spinning weapon on one of his ships that was set up for the Duna battle. Sort of like a thrown saw blade. True, chain shot isn't necessary since it was used against rigging. You could make a bar shot but since there are no chains in KSP chain shot isn't possible. A weapon like that can make it easier to sever thin connections like an engine pod.

Wrong quote attribution but true. I think Ejudedude had a spinning weapon on one of his ships that was set up for the Duna battle. Sort of like a thrown saw blade. True, chain shot isn't necessary since it was used against rigging. You could make a bar shot but since there are no chains in KSP chain shot isn't possible. A weapon like that can make it easier to sever thin connections like an engine pod.

I didn't.....

Ay zekes, u mind posting a download for the "popper" missiles? I'm thinking of getting back into the ship business but I need a powerful weapon for armor testing

You cant get them off of my released ships (XIV-XII P), I don't really want to be giving away my best missile by itself - you gotta work for it :P

'Looks at post through 1440p ips monitor'.

I'll go and consider the fallacy of pairing a gtx 760 with a 1440p monitor.

But my laptop has a 1600p ips panel paired to an iris gpu. :P

The small laptop probably doesn't like being forced to run KSP, so I only play it on my desktop.

Edited by andrew123

As I wished to determine the strength of the Tesseract's armor, I downloaded zekes's Drek XXX and stripped a Popper missile from it, then placed the latter at ~200 meters from the battleship and fired at what I assumed to be the vessel's weakest point, the engine casing.

hGApE7T.png

I lost two wing plates.

*Laughs manically*

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.