Ike's Possible Origin?

Solivagant

Most bodies in our solar system are named after Greek and Roman gods. this led me to wonder how the names of bodies in the Kerbol system came about. I realized Ike is possibly a version of Nike, the Greek goddess of victory, who bears a resemblance to Ares/Mars, which is the real-life Duna counterpart. Anyway, just a little muse I had. How do you think/know other names came about?

According to britannica.com, "Moho, or MohoroviÄÂić discontinuity, [is the] boundary between the Earth’s crust and its mantle. The Moho lies at a depth of about 22 mi (35 km) below continents and about 4.5 mi (7 km) beneath the oceanic crust."

What I'm getting is that Moho is the bottom layer of the Earth's crust, and maybe the devs gave Moho the name that is has because it is the "bottom" of the solar system, being the first planet.

Kerbol: Kerbal god of fire

Moho: New Kerbal god of fire (Because Kerbol was fired) (Get it, fired)

(I'll shut up now)

Eve: Kerbal goddess of purple stuff

Gilly: A fish. Nobody really knows what it has to do with the moon, but whatever...

Kerbin: Just take a guess, would you.

Mun: Just take a guess, would you.

Minmus: It's so tiny and cute

Duna: Kerbal goddess of... sand

Ike: What you said

Dres: This planet is so depressing that this was the best name we had

Jool: In Kerbal mythology, the Kraken's best friend

Laythe: Great vacation spot.

Vall: Name of a popular Kerbal popsicle company

Tylo: Kerbal god of trolling.

Bop: It seemed so perfect. Somehow.

Pol: Hopefully nobody finds out that we also thought every other moon was a pollen grain, or similar

Eeloo: This planet was so spooky that none of the astronomers could sleep.

The name resembles a ghost noise.

According to britannica.com, "Moho, or MohoroviÄÂić discontinuity, [is the] boundary between the Earth’s crust and its mantle. The Moho lies at a depth of about 22 mi (35 km) below continents and about 4.5 mi (7 km) beneath the oceanic crust."

What I'm getting is that Moho is the bottom layer of the Earth's crust, and maybe the devs gave Moho the name that is has because it is the "bottom" of the solar system, being the first planet.

In 0.17 Moho was supposed to be volcanic and had a very thin but hot atmosphere that made your engines overheat.

It's because Ike is so popular. Easy to intercept, easy to land on, can assist when being captured into Duna orbit, can assist when going home. You like Ike*, I like Ike**, everybody likes Ike for president...

*Maybe.

**Actually I think that Ike is alright but sorta meh. It is much better than Gilly though, which is absolutely horrible. Personally, my favorite astronomical object in KSP is Dres.

I'd never thought of it the OP's way. Maybe there's some truth there.

Moho's been covered. Eve could be after it being the evening star, or because it's evil, or both. Gilly I'm not sure about, it just seems a frivolous jokey name. Mun, Duna, and Jool are obvious. Minmus is probably as in mini, ie small, and Dres is in analogy to Ceres.

Laythe and Tylo I've no idea about. Vall is presumably from Valhalla, the Viking heaven, though I'm not sure why. Bop is a frivolous jokey name, and Pol is obvious.

Eeloo is so named because it's elusive.

Kerbol: Chief Kerbal god, lord of burning curiosity.

Moho: Minor Kerbal god of mischief and pranking. As such, in the mythology, Moho was always having to duck and dodge the retaliation of the other gods. This is why Moho is difficult to hit with a rocket (as in often takes excessive delta-V).

Eve: Kerbal goddess of obsessively possessive mothers who won't let their children leave home. This is why it's hard to return from Eve.

Gilly: In myth, Eve's son by Kerbin (see below) who just can't get away, hence his large and eccentric orbit.

Kerbin: The Kerbal god of constructing stuff, the most important in the pantheon after Kerbol. Built the universe to Kerbol's design. As technology has evolved, Kerbin has in turn been the patron of flintknappers, coppersmiths, bronzesmiths, blacksmiths, and engineers.

Mun: a piece of flint debitage dropped by Kerbin back in the stone age.

Minmus: a drop of oxidized bronze spilled by Kerbin back in the bronze age.

Duna: The Kerbal goddess of false beauty, matron of the cosmetics industry. This is why Kerbals at home keep thinking Duna would be a nice place to establish a colony, but then discover nothing but desolation when they get there.

Ike: One of Duna's many lovers, still entranced.

Dres: Kerbin's assistant, Lord of the Strut. Back in Creation, Kerbin had the universe about 95% finished when Eve caught his eye and he quit work early. But the universe would have fallen apart and exploded had not Dres created the Sacred Strut (the silver band of stars around the ecliptic) to hold it together. But nobody really remembers this, which is why Dres gets little attention from Kerbals today.

Jool: God of bling and vanity ("joolery" is Old Kerbish for "bling"). A would-be rival of Kerbol, but unwilling to work like Kerbin, Jool moved out to the suburbs with his posse of various hangers-on and established his own court where hedonism reigns supreme.

Laythe: Jool's current main squeeze

Vall: Jool's babymomma and former main squeeze

Tylo: Jool's bodyguard

Bop: some kid from the neighborhood

Pol: Jool's son by Vall

Eeloo: Not part of the mythology, Eeloo just showed up one day out of nowhere in relatively modern times. As such, the Kerbals believe it's really a UFO, just a way of some alien race saying "hello" ("eeloo" in Old Kerbish) to them.

Ah, I just want to take Eve out for a bite of sushi, she is dressed up so nicely in that translucent purple number. Doesn't Gilly sound fishy enough to suggest sushi? Anyway if Eve does agree to go out for sushi with me I bet Jool will be green with envy.

Just a random reason: Erm... South Park anyone?

KICK THE BABY!

(Don't kick the goddamn baby!)

Hahaha - I was actually trying to come up with a South Park Ike flag previously.. thought it would be good to use whenever I visit Ike.

Google images wasn't being very generous in terms of quality though..

Was there a reason given why this was changed instead of build upon?

No specific reason was given afaik. I assume it's because they thought it was too hard to land on. The atmosphere was so thin parachutes were of little use, and so hot that your engines would overheat in seconds, so you had to burn in bursts with a high-TWR engine.

They removed the atmosphere and overheating when it got an art-pass in 0.18. It used to look like this.

No specific reason was given afaik. I assume it's because they thought it was too hard to land on. The atmosphere was so thin parachutes were of little use, and so hot that your engines would overheat in seconds, so you had to burn in bursts with a high-TWR engine.

They removed the atmosphere and overheating when it got an art-pass in 0.18. It used to look like this.

Besides, it would be pretty unrealistic - Eve's atmosphere likely retains much more heat than Moho's just like Venus to Mercury, so if Moho could overheat your engines that much, then the mere thought of using an engine in Eve would be ridiculous.

You've heard about the Mohole (singular), right? Yes, there was one in real life, though it was only about 600 feet deep, and thus never made it to the discontinuity.

Mr. Dwight Eisenhower created NASA and attempted to fund scientific education. It's a fair bet that this is why there's a moon named after him in KSP, IMHO.

It could also be because real-life Mercury's crust is very thin, and being that Moho is a Mercury analog, it was so named because the surface and the Moho are so close together. Or something.

Kerbol: Chief Kerbal god, lord of burning curiosity.

Moho: Minor Kerbal god of mischief and pranking. As such, in the mythology, Moho was always having to duck and dodge the retaliation of the other gods. This is why Moho is difficult to hit with a rocket (as in often takes excessive delta-V).

Eve: Kerbal goddess of obsessively possessive mothers who won't let their children leave home. This is why it's hard to return from Eve.

Gilly: In myth, Eve's son by Kerbin (see below) who just can't get away, hence his large and eccentric orbit.

Kerbin: The Kerbal god of constructing stuff, the most important in the pantheon after Kerbol. Built the universe to Kerbol's design. As technology has evolved, Kerbin has in turn been the patron of flintknappers, coppersmiths, bronzesmiths, blacksmiths, and engineers.

Mun: a piece of flint debitage dropped by Kerbin back in the stone age.

Minmus: a drop of oxidized bronze spilled by Kerbin back in the bronze age.

Duna: The Kerbal goddess of false beauty, matron of the cosmetics industry. This is why Kerbals at home keep thinking Duna would be a nice place to establish a colony, but then discover nothing but desolation when they get there.

Ike: One of Duna's many lovers, still entranced.

Dres: Kerbin's assistant, Lord of the Strut. Back in Creation, Kerbin had the universe about 95% finished when Eve caught his eye and he quit work early. But the universe would have fallen apart and exploded had not Dres created the Sacred Strut (the silver band of stars around the ecliptic) to hold it together. But nobody really remembers this, which is why Dres gets little attention from Kerbals today.

Jool: God of bling and vanity ("joolery" is Old Kerbish for "bling"). A would-be rival of Kerbol, but unwilling to work like Kerbin, Jool moved out to the suburbs with his posse of various hangers-on and established his own court where hedonism reigns supreme.

Laythe: Jool's current main squeeze

Vall: Jool's babymomma and former main squeeze

Tylo: Jool's bodyguard

Bop: some kid from the neighborhood

Pol: Jool's son by Vall

Eeloo: Not part of the mythology, Eeloo just showed up one day out of nowhere in relatively modern times. As such, the Kerbals believe it's really a UFO, just a way of some alien race saying "hello" ("eeloo" in Old Kerbish) to them.

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=43443624 Edited by Brixmon

I realized Ike is possibly a version of Nike, the Greek goddess of victory, who bears a resemblance to Ares/Mars, which is the real-life Duna counterpart.

I think that you are over-thinking the issue..

Eye-k is named so because it is the EYE that always faces Duna, Always hangs in the same spot.

Allways watching.

Allways there.

*always*

It. never. Blinks.

It is rumored that the Duna civilization expired from nervous exhaustion, due to a severe case of paranoioa brought on by the ultimate of "Big Brother is Watching" syndrome.

Moho means "Mother" in Kerbal. The Kerbals originated in Moho. They then stripmined it until there were absolutely no resources at all left, and had to leave. They also took all of its atmosphere.

Then they went to Eve. They named it Eve because moving to Eve was the "Eve" of a new era. Then they polluted the heck out of it turning it into what it is today. Also while there they redirected an asteroid for the first time, creating Eve's moon Gilly.

Then they went to Kerbin. Contrary to popular belief, the words "Kerbin" and "Kerbal" are completely unrelated. They named Kerbin "Kerbin" because they decided to attempt to "Curb in" their greedy industrial ways. This is why Kerbin is completely abandoned other than KSC, they all live in extremely minimalist structures underground.

They rename the planets they colonize. All the outer planets haven't been colonized yet and are thus have named based on other things.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.