Going to the Kennedy Space Center soon... any recommendations on "must sees/do's"?

TeeGee

Hi everyone!

I'm actually going to the KSC for the first time in a few weeks and was wondering what I need to see/do while I am there. I will be with my family (brothers etc) who are not as big space nutts like I am, so I was wondering what itinerary I should aim to have for the trip to be as enjoyable for them as it would be for me.

Should I take a specific tour? See a certain Imax movie? See a specific exhibit? etc.

We will only be there for 1 day so I guess the MUST SEES are what the priority should be.

Any advice?

Obviously, the best thing to see is a launch. The launches scheduled in 'a few weeks' are a Falcon 9 with a comsat on the 26th of August, another Falcon 9 with another comsat on the 19th of September, and an Atlas-V with something called CLIO on the 16th. CLIO is basically the closest you can get to a black launch (there's not even a statement of what government agency it's for, nevermind what it is or what orbit it's going into), so I'm not sure if the viewing areas will be open for it.

My advice:

- Don't bother seeing more than one or two IMAX films; most of them are just long drawn-out sequences of liftoff, over and over and over... Worth seeing, but after a couple of iterations, three will be better ways to spend your time.

- Allocate a couple hours for just wandering around the rocket garden with your mouth gaping open on awe. About half that time will be spent starting at an F-1.

- Go on every tour you can. My particular favorite is the "Then and Now" tour, which takes you (along other things) to some of the very first original pads and bunkers. Very, very cool.

- Follow the advice from above--schedule your visit around a launch, if you can. The simulators are also neat.

- You have to see the Atlantis. I just saw the Endeavour up close for the first time today, and it was more amazing than I ever could have hoped. There I was, a grown man, standing under the engines and looking up with literal tears in my eyes.

Can't miss the Saturn V center and Atlantis, obviously. Those are the biggest and most jaw-dropping pieces there. When I went last month, my dad (whose a 70 year old non-nonsense type) freak out with child like glee when he saw the Saturn V for the first time.

HUGE bit of advice though for when you take the bus over to the Saturn V center. Be prepared to be extremely uncomfortable on the bus, as the bus seats are terrible and have no upper back or neck support.

If you don't plan on spending the entire day there, I definitely recommending visiting the rocket garden first (because its literally right behind where you get your tickets checked before being allowed in) and then bee-lining for the bus tours. Otherwise, you'll likely end up standing in line for a good hour or so. If you aren't used to the kind of weather we get down here (I live literally like 20 minutes away from KSC. I can walk there if I wanted), you'll be sweating buckets by the time you get onto the bus.

So OI should:

1) Start with the rocket garden

2) Get on one of the tours (which one?)

3) See 1 Imax movie (2 max)

4) See the saturn V and Atlantis

Anything else? How about the lunar rock you get to touch?

Any other advice when I go down?

Obviously, the best thing to see is a launch. The launches scheduled in 'a few weeks' are a Falcon 9 with a comsat on the 26th of August, another Falcon 9 with another comsat on the 19th of September, and an Atlas-V with something called CLIO on the 16th. CLIO is basically the closest you can get to a black launch (there's not even a statement of what government agency it's for, nevermind what it is or what orbit it's going into), so I'm not sure if the viewing areas will be open for it.

No the earliest launch is september 19..http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html#.U--D1fldXh4

So OI should:

Anything else? How about the lunar rock you get to touch?

The rock you can touch when you see the Saturn V. Its literally right next to the second stage engines IIRC. Don't expect much though. Its REALLY tiny and not what you expect a moon rock to look like.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.