Kerbodyne SSTO Division: Omnibus Thread

Payload needs a bit more oomph, but don't have the room for a Kerbodyne Microbus? Then you need a Kerbodyne Miniboost, the latest in compact space technology from Kerbodyne Payload Solutions.

4,000 m/s of ÃŽâ€V tucked into a package small enough to fit inside a single normal length cargo bay, and light enough to be carried without strutting. Plenty enough grunt to take a compact lander to the Mun and back, or to boost a probe into Kerbol orbit.

File at https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wyjyflraemcjms/Kerbodyne%20Miniboost.craft?dl=0

No mods required.

screenshot38_zps66474b00.jpg

Keep snagging your lander legs on the cargo bay floor? Sick of having to KAS strut everything whenever it comes back to the mothership?

We've got you covered.

From Kerbodyne Payload Solutions, we have the Kerbodyne Microlander. Designed to ship in two sections for unstrutted stability, this little gem can be easily reassembled in orbit and has enough juice to land and re-orbit from the Mun.

No mods required. The canopy will clip through cargo bay doors without a problem, but be sure to arrange it so that it doesn't poke through the floor of the bay.

Craft files at https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3aofobg1oqc00x/Lander%201.craft?dl=0 and https://www.dropbox.com/s/liap2aym5cw3xrt/Lander%202.craft?dl=0

screenshot39_zpsaa269cbe.jpg

screenshot41_zpsb1512259.jpg

Edited by Wanderfound

By the looks of it, the setup there is a central RAPIER flanked by turbos, yes? The plane could use a touch of polishing (ditch at least one ASAS unit, to start with) but it looks as if it should be orbit-capable.

It's just a LV-T30 in the middle. I don't have Rapier's yet...

It's just a LV-T30 in the middle. I don't have Rapier's yet...

Okay: do you have the small radial motors yet? If so, I'd suggest an engine setup similar to what's on the Graduate​. Having the central motor be an air-breathing one is a substantial advantage.

Hey I have a question. I've dissected your planes 800 times and I can't figure out why this happens.

Basically I'm just trying to put together large wings, to increase lift. I've seen it done a bazillion times, and the mod-maker's 'demo-craft', plus your craft that use large wings don't have this problem. Basically, when I'm lifting off, even with the 'soft-touch' cap-lock turned on, as soon as I lift off, my wings on just one side flex and break off. Weird thing is that sometimes I'll make the EXACT same way and it wont break, other times it's hopeless.

I've been building my wings out from the fuselage one "section" at a time, then strutting the hell out of it using the b9 heavy struts (also tried the invisible ones so that it doesn't look like crap)

This is the primary reason I initially looked at procedural wings as a godsend but last time I messed with it it was worse than normal wings with lift and such, and tended to make my NEAR-based lift... suck. Imagine this is why I almost never see any craft shared that require the mod :-/

Here are some screens of my plane:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Sakata

Well, for the first thing: why do you want that much wing? That thing already has more than it needs. You've also got too much LF and not enough O. The first thing I'd do is toss four of the six lateral LF tanks, lengthen the neck with some LFO tanks and a service bay and change the super-canard to a normal one.

Also: stock aero? So it can't be a Ferram-related aerodynamic failure?

Finally: have you visually inspected the wings just to make sure that the struts are still there? If you strut wings then move them, sometimes the struts will disappear on one side.

BTW, a gentle takeoff is about minimising your AoA, not which set of controls you use. Keep the nose within 20° of prograde, the closer the better. Lead the plane, don't drag it.

Okay: do you have the small radial motors yet? If so, I'd suggest an engine setup similar to what's on the Graduate​. Having the central motor be an air-breathing one is a substantial advantage.

Yeah, I tried that with another plane, but not one that didn't have other issues. The point is that I think I can get closer to orbit with this one than I do, so I'm thinking I'll practice my piloting first.

Odd, that ship actually didn't have any pure LF tanks aside from the fuselages I didn't switch - The others are KW LFO tanks that I have to stick to the kethane converter for it to pump fuel.

Is there a way to reduce AoA on take-off, or when I can manage it, landing? The stupid controls are digital, not analogue, so the biggest problem is that the controls over-do it too often. That is my main issue right there.

The next is that I managed to make a new one that doesn't break in one shot, but it flys like a brick. I basically am trying to make a craft that can handle... everything. Has kethane miner and two tanks now, so I can 'refuel on the go', and it performs surprisingly well in 0G, but the flying brick syndrome I can't see to shake. I tend to probably overcompensate for things by adding more wings, especially now that B9 took it oupon themselves to put in 'realistic' thrust for jets... they just don't have enough oomph to do crap now, so requires extra engines and wings to hold the load and keep a good glide while the puny jets work.

I wish I could make a good ship that could both VTOL and manage to break out, and this one comes soooo close but I think I overdid it with the wings, but without em, it doesn't even get to be a flying brick, it just, doesn't get off the runway. Heck even this one has to use the vtol to 'kick' it off the pad :( Plus I had to use the 'my computer hates me' physics breaking strut to add two more jets inside the other jets :|

Check my previous post for images of the new brick. WAY overdid it with wings I think. The previous cockpit kept getting torn off by the force on the front wings no matter how I strutted it -- actually I think the more struts I added the easier it fell apart.

B9_Aerospace_Pack_R5-2-4.zip

Carpathia - Ultra Long Range Cruiser.zip

DeadlyReentryCont_v5.3.zip

DistantObject_1.3.1.zip

DockingPortAlignment_4.0.zip

EnhancedNavBall_1_3_2.zip

ImpossibleInnovations.zip <-haven't used any of this looks neat though

InfernalRobotics0.19.1.zip

KAS_0.4.8.zip

KerbalAlarmClock_2.7.8.2.zip

KerbalEngineer-1.0.9.1.zip

Kerbal_Joint_Reinforcement-v2.4.3.0.zip

Kethane-0.8.8.1.zip

Kethane-0.9.zip

KSP-AVC-1.1.4.2.zip

KSPInterstellar-v0.12.2.zip

KW Release Package v2.6c.zip

MechJeb2-2.3.1.0-332.zip

MechJebKMGimbalExt.zip

MechJebNEARExt.zip

NEAR_v1_1_1.zip

NovaPunch-2.06.zip

ProcFairings_3.09.zip

RCSBuildAid_v0.5.0.zip

RealChute_Parachute_Systems-1.2.4.zip

RemoteTech_2-1.4.1.zip

SafeChute.zip

SpaceplanePlus v1.3.zip

TacFuelBalancer_2.4.0.3.zip

TweakScale_1.43.zip

VNG-Parachute_1.2.zip

VNG-Plugin_0.7.2.zip

x86-Release.zip <-Active texture management

Edited by Sakata

The analog vs digital control thing is a real hassle. There are really only three things I can think of you can do.

1. Tap the controls - you do a lot of press-and-release to feather the control inputs and avoid spinning out of control. (I believe Wanderfound does this)

2. Use caps-lock to turn on the fine-control-adjustments. The control arrows go blue, and the inputs are moderated.

3. use a joystick or gamepad to provide analog inputs

I suppose another approach is you can go to the tweakables in the individual control surfaces and reduce the maximum amount of input they'll provide.

Controls: tap, never hold unless you need absolute maximum pull.

You've got three control settings: normal, precise and trim. Most of the time you should be using normal (after trimming for level flight), controlling the turn by altering the rate of your taps. If the situation is so extreme that this will break your wings, hit Ctrl to engage precise controls and keep tapping. Holding down a button with precise controls on gets you just as much turn as without precise control, just a bit slower, so don't do it.

If even precise controls are breaking your wings, use trim. Alt-up or whatever and again, tap tap tap. In all cases, watch the G-meter more than the nav ball. When it approaches dangerous levels, stop tapping and wait for it to settle. Aim to keep it steady rather than surge and plunge.

Hey wanderfound

I know its a HUGE question, but any thoughts/plans on reworking your designs for .25 given that many if not all of the SP+ parts are now in stock?

This is my project for the month.

Rather than exact conversions, it's likely to be "in the theme of". Expect a big tanker, small sportster, trainer, long range cargo, passenger, etc.

Still working out the bugs with the tweaked Ferram, though. My new designs work, but they're a bit trickier to fly than I'd like. Don't want to post substandard stuff. I've got a nice little aerobatic sportster that I'll chuck up later, though. The new tougher wings let you get away with some crazy stuff.

Does anyone have a list of where the new parts come in the tech tree? I'd like to do some low-tech things for the career players.

Edited by Wanderfound

Does anyone have a list of where the new parts come in the tech tree? I'd like to do some low-tech things for the career players.

I haven't seen such a list, but given how much I've benefited from your work, the least I can do is try to put one together for you. I'll try to do it tonight. Guess I have to remove SP+ first...

The classic is back! Kerbodyne Evangelist XXV: updated to account for the new KSP25 parts as well as Ferram's re-weighting of the wings. Same rock-solid aerobatic performance as before, now with learner-friendly wide-track landing gear.

New wider stance.

screenshot52_zps8921425e.jpg

Same old self-launching user friendliness.

screenshot53_zps308ad5c3.jpg

Make the most of the new, tougher wings.

screenshot54_zps9e623580.jpg

screenshot55_zpsc4ec7758.jpg

screenshot56_zpscdec7905.jpg

screenshot57_zps9dac8199.jpg

Craft file at https://www.dropbox.com/s/2aues24emp6ztzp/Kerbodyne%20Evangelist%20XXV.craft?dl=0

Edited by Wanderfound

As requested - the new (0.25) parts and the tech tree:

(Tree levels are on par with what's in the wiki)

Tree level 3

Stability

- AV-T1 Winglet

Tree level 4

Flight control

- Wing Connector type B

- AV-R8 Winglet

- Mk 1 Cockpit

Tree level 5

Aerodynamics

- Elevon 1

- Elevon 4

- MK1 Fuselage - Intake

- Wing connector type C

- Structural Wing type B

- Swept Wing Type A

- Swept Wing Type B

- Tail connector

- Swept wings

- Tail fin

- Basic get engine

- Mk 1 fuselage - jet fuel

- XM-G50 Radial air intake

Advanced Flight Control

- Delta Deluxe Winglet

- Mk 1 inline cockpit

Landing

- Small gear bay

Tree level 6

Supersonic Flight

- Mk 2 Liquid Fuel Fuselage

- Mk 2 Cargo Bay CRG-08

- Mk 2 Cockpit

- Mk 2 LF+O Fuselage

- Elevon2

- Eleveon 3

- Wing Strake

- Delta wing

- Mk 2 to 1.25m adapter

- Engine Nacelle

- Radial engine body

- Circular intake

Specialized Control

- Vernor engine

Tree level 7

Nuclear propulsion

- LV-N engine

Advanced Aerodynamics

- Wing Connector Type A

- Structural Wing Type A

- Mk 2 Bicoupler

- Mk 2 to 1.25m Adapter long

- Mk 2 Cargo bay CRG-04

- Mk 2 Crew Cabin

- Mk 2 Clamp-o-tron

- Wing Connector Type D

- Structural Wing Type D

- Structural pylon

High altitude Flight

- Structural intake

- Mk 2 Inline Cockpit

- Mk 2 LF+O Fuselage short

- Mk 2 Liquid fuel Fuselage short

- Mk 2 Monopropellant tank

- Wing connector type E

- Small delta wing

- Structural wing type C

- Turbojet engine

- Small hardpoint

- Ram air intake

Field Science

- EAS-1 External Command Seat (since I know you're a fan)

Tech level 8

Hypersonic flight

- Elevon 5

- Advanced Canard

- Standard Canard

- Rapier engine

- Toroidal Aerospike Rocket

- Shock Cone intake

Advanced Unmanned Tech

- Mk 2 Drone Core

Edited by Wingblaze

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.