When the airbag landing system was first time used.

Pawelk198604

this is my video, forgive me i need a brag a little :D

But seriously when airbag landing method was first time used? I remember when i watched landing of Mars Pathfinder in 1997, i was 11 years old than.

Space exploration is my passion on borderline with obsession, i think it has something with my Asperger Syndrome :D

I wonder when the airbag was first time used does it was Pathfinder or it was sometime earlier?

Well, mars pathfinder was the proof of concept mission - but the system was tested on earth before the mission :P (and Sojourner was the name of the rover for the pathfinder mission :P)

(There's one picture showing it tested on earth in june 1995)

However, Pathfinder's accelerometers recorded a 18G spike on impact - i wouldn't recommend the method for landing a rover with more delicate science instruments :P

Edited by sgt_flyer

As for KSP i wonder does i can use Modular Girder Segment and Sepratron I as for breaking in landing on Mars, oh i mean Duna in KSP:-), i want use it to land, possibly but other hand i didn't want to be to much powerful, because it can send my into suborbital flight on Duna, i hope moderators don't be mad at me for putting it here, but i don't want to open another thread :D

As for KSP i wonder does i can use Modular Girder Segment and Sepratron I as for breaking in landing on Mars, oh i mean Duna in KSP:-), i want use it to land, possibly but other hand i didn't want to be to much powerful, because it can send my into suborbital flight on Duna, i hope moderators don't be mad at me for putting it here, but i don't want to open another thread :D

I think there was even a mod for the landing bags out there

I think there was even a mod for the landing bags out there

Even a old mod with the pathfinder rover and airbag system back in 0.18, think it was by lionheart.

It was very useful for learning how to land as it handled rough landings and carried an light rover.

Remember building one version with a skycrane for landing on airless bodies.

Luna 6 had airbags as part of it's landing system.

Luna 6 missed the moon. Probably even other Luna probes had a similar "airbag landing system" (Except for Luna 1 and 2, that were designed to lithobrake, and luna 3, that was not supposed to land - and it didn't).

Luna 9 (1966) was the first probe that successfully used an airbag to land on the moon.

Earlier crewed (either with men or dogs) spacecrafts such as Korabl-Sputnik and Vostok used to eject the crew upon landing*, while probes usually landed hard, slowed only by a parachute.

* I still use this system to save kerbals from a hard-reentring vehichle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.