Activating-deactivating sas maneuvers

So i saw that people only activate sas in exact moments, like about to land or about to get out. My question is, why not always activated? :confused:, does it benefits you in something?

Edited by Ghostexx7
Answered

SAS likes to drain electric charge, so if the supply is limited, its a good idea to disable SAS where possible :)

then it doesn't affect me, i always place 4 battery banks, a lot of solar panels and some generators. Yay no problem.

SAS likes to drain electric charge, so if the supply is limited, its a good idea to disable SAS where possible :)

Yes, on early missions before you get solar panels its critical to turn sas off whenever not needed.

Then docking its a good idea to turn it off at target after it stops rotating as it let the target rotate to fit. This is more important if your target is small.

Then docking its a good idea to turn it off at target after it stops rotating as it let the target rotate to fit. This is more important if your target is small.

I wouldn't say so, I always leave it on on my target as it keeps it from getting phantom rotation. After I get the magnetism I disable SAS on my ship and only if that's not enough, I switch ships and disable it on the other ship as well.

I wouldn't say so, I always leave it on on my target as it keeps it from getting phantom rotation. After I get the magnetism I disable SAS on my ship and only if that's not enough, I switch ships and disable it on the other ship as well.

I pretty much agree with that, with a slight modification. I prefer it to be on for the larger / higher mass side of the docking, as the other side is the one that will most easily be pulled into alignment by the magnetism. E.g. docking to a complex station, I'll use a brief blip of time warp to ensure that all rotation really is zeroed out and then leave SAS on for the station.

SAS is intended to keep you ship in the same orientation. I find that if I want to rotate a large, heavy, wobbly object like a space station then the best thing to do is to turn off the SAS and give a quick puff of RCS to start the craft slowly turning. When the ship has turned to where you want it another quick puff of RCS to stop it, then engage the SAS. Saves on electricity and RCS fuel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.