Reduce mass of cupola module

The cupola module looks great and I want to put them everywhere on stations, but seems a bit heavy compared to other similar modules. Its mass at 4.54 makes it the highest of the command modules (the mk1-2 is only 4.12). It's less functional than similar pieces, the lander can weighs substantially less, but fits more kerbals and has stronger gyros. Glass is admittedly heavy, but it still seems like it's a bit overweight for an essentially cosmetic part.

Yes, the Cupola seems to have a lot of mass for what has got to be mostly empty space inside. I think it should have a larger observation section, and the seat should be further forward so you can actually see out to the sides. And then it should have less mass than the larger and more capable Mk1-2 Command Pod (4 tons) but more than the smaller and flimsier Mk2 Lander Can (2.5 tons). I'd be fine with 3.5 tons if the IVA was fixed so I could actually see anything out that window.

ESA's real life cupola, with window covers, glass and all, masses a little over 1.8 tons. I think 2 or 2.5 tons should be perfectly fine for the KSP version; that lets you write off the extras. 4.5 tons is downright ridiculous.

Agree with OP. It's a great part; ladders are compatible with the 2.5m modules and it has one of the best IVAs. Its mass makes it a loser, though, and it's high drag makes it hard to launch at the top of the rocket.

Fortunately, there's a node on top. Decoupler + nosecone.

Fortunately, there's a node on top. Decoupler + nosecone.

And what would that achieve? Even more weight and even more drag! Without an improved aerodynamics model like FAR or NEAR nose cones are utterly useless and only serve as eye candy.

And what would that achieve? Even more weight and even more drag! Without an improved aerodynamics model like FAR or NEAR nose cones are utterly useless and only serve as eye candy.

The lower drag coefficient of the nosecones adds directional stability when placed ahead of the CoM. Wanderfound's right that it will improve the stability of a rocket with a cupola on top.

He's also right that the IVA is more useful in orbit.

Ain't my fault if folks want to fly in soup. If you've got aerodynamic issues and you haven't installed Ferram, you've only got yourself to blame.

Ain't my fault if folks want to fly in soup. If you've got aerodynamic issues and you haven't installed Ferram, you've only got yourself to blame.

Agreed 1000%

Why can't you just change the .cfg. That's the beautiful thing about KSP. Then you can change the stock parameters of it to something you like. If you're using an aerodynamic mod just throw a fairing around it.

Not a very good suggestion...

Why can't you just change the .cfg. That's the beautiful thing about KSP. Then you can change the stock parameters of it to something you like. If you're using an aerodynamic mod just throw a fairing around it.

Not a very good suggestion...

By that argument almost no suggestion is good. It can almost always be done by modifying the game. Why improve the stock aero model if you can just install FAR?

Besides becoming 2 tons lighter, i think it should get a science experiment like "orbital observation" (and being moved to the science page) or so, to give it something special, as this is really not a command pod in my opinion.

And i really would like to see some animated shutters to cover the windows.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.