What do you do during burn time?

Daffs

My burns are rarely long enough to let me go do something else. I just warp it up to as fast as it can get without catastrophically destroying itself, while tweaking the attitude ever so slightly the entire time. I just daydream, I guess.

For short burns, I just sit them out so I don't miss the burn. For longer 15-20min burns, I usually surf the web with KSP in the background running. And yes, it does get laggy when my 800-part Kerbol system grand tour ship does a 20min burn in the background while I watch some new movies.

I do what I do every time I have to wait in KSP... Read a book! Currently on book 5 of Game of Thrones (or A Song of Ice and Fire, whichever it is); but I have also been reading Ender's Game, Hitchikers's Guide to the Galaxy (again) and the Dirvergent Series... :)

I've never skipped out on a burn. Never had any last longer than 7 or so minutes and I just timewarp those and sit them out. But I do keep tabs one the navball because my ships have a tendency to drift away from the node point. So watching the screen like a hawk and making small adjustments is the name of the game for me. I don't pack too much additional delta-V so I NEED that burn to be on point.

My burns don't take that long because as long as your craft is balanced, you should be able to use ALT + . to time accelerate up to x4 during burns. Just be aware that you should not attempt this if your craft isn't balanced and do not make any movements.

Yep, timewarp mostly. Depending on the length of the burn, I may watch some youtube clips or catch up on emails or the forum here. But I have to keep an eye on the burn too, so this is where dual monitors (and running the game in a window) can be handy.

If a burn takes longer than 15 minutes I'll relegate it to Mechjeb to do it for me since there isn't much skill involved at pointing your craft at a maneuver node for half an hour. Usually when I come back Kerbal alarm clock would have informed me of a SOI change and I'll begin making some adjustments to my trajectory.

1. Pour a glass of Lemonade.

2. Start Toaster Oven.

3. Cook Pizza Bagels.

4. Eat Pizza Bagels and drink Lemonade.

5. Read thread on how people pass the time during burns to pass the time.:P

Edited by kmMango

Long burns are notorious for not coming out the way you did set up the maneuver so during such burns I am usually busy correcting for errors caused by inhomogenous gravitation fields.

But I didn't have any really long burns recently, despite the fact that my ships used only nuclear and ion engines. Even transfer burn to Eeloo did not exceed 8 minutes and was safe to do in x4 warp, taking it down to 2 minutes. Not much to do in such short time.

Try out the BetterTimeWarp mod, allowing you to speed up physical time to millions of times normal speed! That means a 2-hour ion burn can be a 2-pico-second burn if you want it to be (warning: universe has a 99% chance of disintegrating with such high timewarp values). But seriously! The BetterTimeWarp mod is one of my favorite mods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.