Mod-Oriented Tech Tree (Aug 3, v0.3.3 bug fixes)

cvod

What's your impression of the current progress?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. What's your impression of the current progress?

• I'd like to test/use this tech tree
    • I like where this is going
    • might be interested when it's finished
    • it looks too cluttered
    • not a fan of how it's organized

cvod,

I think I've found a misplacement for a couple of items (unless you have a reason for placing them as such):

name = FNDeuteriumCryostat

name = FNHeliumCryostat

Both are listed under basicScanning. Personally, I've moved them to heavyFuelTanks. I may suggest/might move them further, but I haven't unlocked that far.

Yeah, they're supposed to be with fusion since that's what they're useful for. I forgot about those parts when I switched to the new KSPI. It's actually fixed in my current version, I just need to finish it up and upload it. Sorry I've been sorta slow with fixes/changes recently.

Try deleting tree.cfg from your /GameData/Interstellar folder. I had the log window up while loading a game and noticed a warning in my log that said it was trying to copy that file, so I bet that's what's happening for you.

YOU <points finger> Da man!

Yeah, they're supposed to be with fusion since that's what they're useful for. I forgot about those parts when I switched to the new KSPI. It's actually fixed in my current version, I just need to finish it up and upload it. Sorry I've been sorta slow with fixes/changes recently.

No worries. Glad you caught it too. Guess that means I'm actually starting to learn the innards of KSP. Now, THAT, is a dangerous thing.

I await your upload. Thank you again for your concept and diligence.

(Remember: You can't please all the folks, all the time. just take what you like and discard the rest and then ... f'em.)

Try deleting tree.cfg from your /GameData/Interstellar folder. I had the log window up while loading a game and noticed a warning in my log that said it was trying to copy that file, so I bet that's what's happening for you.

What I did, (and it's working atm) was coping the 1st few lines from KSP-Interstellar's tree.cfg over as the 1st lines in this mods tree.cfg.

VERSION

{

id = 2

}

Looks like some kind of version check from KSP-Interstellar to make sure you will get the updated KSP-Interstellar tree.cfg. *Or I might be wrong*

• 2 weeks later...

There's not a lot of major changes in 0.2.95 from 0.2.9, but it's a little closer to 0.3.0.

Sorry my updates have been less frequent. This tech tree is not going to die off, it just might not see a major push in development until I get a break from school (aerospace engineering is not a light workload). I plan to switch this over from TreeLoader to ATC once adding nodes is supported. And since ATC has been released, there have been a lot of other tech trees popping up. I would love to hear from you what you like about those trees and possibly how I could improve mine from it.

Keep in mind that you can send me tree.cfg files for me to splice with my development version. This will definitely speed up the development process when I'm not updating things. If you send me something with a handful of small changes, it's possible I'll have it implemented within a day or two. Just make sure to follow the instructions in the updated OP.

cvod,

I've looked at some of the other trees, and the one that stands out as being close in quality to yours is the engineering-based tree. I like it because it's thematic, and it makes a lot of sense w/r/t how nodes are related. Your tree makes sense in a sort of progression-based way, but it doesn't have the same sort of thematic pull to it. If I had a suggestion, it would be to think about some sort of theme. This would make it easier to sell to new people, too.

In other news, I've been getting a lot of bugs with treeloader: contract parameters not updating/completing and not being able to recover vessels being the most important. As such, I've switched to stock tree for now. As soon as you switch to ATC, I'll switch back, because it seems like that method is less bug-prone.

I've got some additional mods, and once you switch to ATC, I can probably send some splices for you.

Thanks for all your work; this tree made my first serious playthrough much more fun.

cvod,

I've looked at some of the other trees, and the one that stands out as being close in quality to yours is the engineering-based tree. I like it because it's thematic, and it makes a lot of sense w/r/t how nodes are related. Your tree makes sense in a sort of progression-based way, but it doesn't have the same sort of thematic pull to it. If I had a suggestion, it would be to think about some sort of theme. This would make it easier to sell to new people, too.

In other news, I've been getting a lot of bugs with treeloader: contract parameters not updating/completing and not being able to recover vessels being the most important. As such, I've switched to stock tree for now. As soon as you switch to ATC, I'll switch back, because it seems like that method is less bug-prone.

I've got some additional mods, and once you switch to ATC, I can probably send some splices for you.

Thanks for all your work; this tree made my first serious playthrough much more fun.

That's a good idea. Were you thinking matching a theme to the existing tree? Or coming up with a theme and doing a bit of node restructuring to match it? I was already planning on getting a better name for it and a banner or logo of some sort because mods usually catch my attention more when they have cool pictures or logos in the original post.

I'm pretty sure ATC has the same problem with contracts. I've been following that problem through a couple different threads. Hopefully someone comes up with a fix. I think what has to happen is the part-testing contracts need to be turned off and someone create a substitute contract for it. Or maybe Squad will fix how the contract works, but I'm not counting on that.

Thanks for the feedback!

Well, you did a fantastic job with this tree, it must have been difficult to fit all those mods nicely in one tree.

That being said, i have a suggestion :)

I'm relatively new to KSP and i don't know what's the deal with it, but for me it doen't make any sense at all to start with a manned pod, THEN research some basic life-support and THAT should give me access to first unmanned probes. If a player is assumed to have life support installed, how can one get a manned pod before the actual life support? And i really like Better Than Starting Manned in that way, where you have a basic probe and some basic sensors to get started. Come on, barometers and thermometers were invented about 300 years before first rockets, does a space center really need to develop that technology? I think the only way to go in the early game is to have these basic science intruments along with a basic probe and antenna, and build from there. And also parachutes and life support should be researched before the first manned pod, because the logic says that these things are just a part of it. And that way you can first test your parachutes with probes before using them with actual greenpeople.

Aside from that the tree looks great and i wish you best of luck with further development.

Edited by tossha

Well, you did a fantastic job with this tree, it must have been difficult to fit all those mods nicely in one tree.

That being said, i have a suggestion :)

I'm relatively new to KSP and i don't know what's the deal with it, but for me it doen't make any sense at all to start with a manned pod, THEN research some basic life-support and THAT should give me access to first unmanned probes. If a player is assumed to have life support installed, how can one get a manned pod before the actual life support? And i really like Better Than Starting Manned in that way, where you have a basic probe and some basic sensors to get started. Come on, barometers and thermometers were invented about 300 years before first rockets, does a space center really need to develop that technology? I think the only way to go in the early game is to have these basic science intruments along with a basic probe and antenna, and build from there. And also parachutes and life support should be researched before the first manned pod, because the logic says that these things are just a part of it. And that way you can first test your parachutes with probes before using them with actual greenpeople.

Aside from that the tree looks great and i wish you best of luck with further development.

The tree also entirely fits in the viewport now when you zoom out! I am very pleased with this in the recent update.

You bring up a very good point. I'm going to leave the manned pod at the start so that people can play KSP similar to how stock KSP is played. Also, being able to take surface samples and crew reports really helps with getting through the early bits of the tree. But I probably should not have left life support parts before probes. I don't want to force the use of unmanned vessels, but it would definitely make more sense that way. Basically, I'm allowing for manned missions before unmanned, but you'll have to research life support if you want to get anywhere farther than the Mun with living Kerbals.

Edited by cvod

Just got a chance to play with the 2.95 tree. Looking good! Here are a few suggestions:

- B9.Structure.HX1.G is kind of in a weird spot in Specialized Electrics as you get the rest of the HX parts elsewhere. Maybe move it over? (It's also kind of a dumb part because the B9 folks are balancing it against a pile of RTGs instead of considering the other reactors in KSPi or NF)

- In my career so far I've skipped Advanced Exploration because 150 science for three ladders is really expensive. You don't need ladders to explore anything until maybe Duna anyway.

- Similarly, I've ignored Field Science for 300 because when I've needed to drive a car around I use landing gear.

- These parts should move into the Orbital Refining node: HangarRecycler, OrbitalRocketWorkshop, OKS.Storage.RocketParts, RocketWorkshop, SmallerBlastSmelter, BlastSmelter, TinyBlastSmelter

- These parts should be removed from the tree because they're obsolete: oreBin, metalBin, exLaunchPad

- ionArgon-0625-2 and ionArgon-0625 should swap positions

- Suggest moving the KSPi/KSPiL arcjet and plasma thruster somewhere into nuclear propulsion as they're useless without KSPi reactors.

- resourceStorage still seems kind of expensive to me because I think that the bigger fuel tanks aren't very useful since Karbonite/Kethane mining and conversion are mostly done while mining it so you only need a tiny storage tank to run the converters. Maybe drop it to 150 or 225?

One other note - without much else in the way of mods that add science (like custom biomes) I've been doing a lot of contracts. I've earned 11592 science so far and probably a third of that has been from contracts.

I've just finished setting up a shipyard orbiting Minmus, with an automated Karbonite miner (for fuel) and manned Ore miner that converts to rocketparts and flies back up to dock. Three SSTO trips to deliver the shipyard, the fueler, and a load of rocket parts that were used to build the miner. Except for my first launch (before I had planes at all) everything has been planes or SSTOs. Good for funds but a lot slower...

Edited by bonesbro

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had a chance to mess with 0.25 yet. I didn't realize that treeloader broke. Hopefully ATC figures out how to create new nodes. Now that there's a higher demand for it, I bet we'll see a solution for adding nodes soon enough.

Edited by cvod

• 3 weeks later...

Things are looking promising with the new TechManager mod. I'm going to wait until the dust settles to see if ATC figures out how to add nodes. Until then, I just wanted to check that there's still interest in this tech tree since a lot of other trees have popped up. Keep in mind I've left this in the development forum because it could still change pretty drastically, but that depends on your input. I would really like lots of input so that a lot of people will enjoy using it.

Things are looking promising with the new TechManager mod. I'm going to wait until the dust settles to see if ATC figures out how to add nodes. Until then, I just wanted to check that there's still interest in this tech tree since a lot of other trees have popped up. Keep in mind I've left this in the development forum because it could still change pretty drastically, but that depends on your input. I would really like lots of input so that a lot of people will enjoy using it.

Hello. I'm the developer of the TechManager mod. I just heard of this tree today, so I haven't tried it out yet, but if it worked with TreeLoader it should work with TM. I recently added sub-tree support and in-game tree switching which you may be interested in, although that hasn't been released yet. Would love some feedback if you think you could use something like that. I've been trying to help the ATC guys out, but outside of telling them to do exactly what I do, I'm not sure what is preventing their nodes from showing up, and really I've been buried on my own mod. If there is a feature of ATC you like that I'm missing (custom anchors?) then maybe I can roll that into TM. Thanks.

Hello. I'm the developer of the TechManager mod. I just heard of this tree today, so I haven't tried it out yet, but if it worked with TreeLoader it should work with TM. I recently added sub-tree support and in-game tree switching which you may be interested in, although that hasn't been released yet. Would love some feedback if you think you could use something like that. I've been trying to help the ATC guys out, but outside of telling them to do exactly what I do, I'm not sure what is preventing their nodes from showing up, and really I've been buried on my own mod. If there is a feature of ATC you like that I'm missing (custom anchors?) then maybe I can roll that into TM. Thanks.

Hey! I've been following your thread pretty closely. I think the sub-tree support is an awesome feature, but I'm not sure I have a use for it at the moment since I like to have a lot of interdependencies. Then again, I'm a little fuzzy on what all you can do with the subtrees. I'll play around with it when I get the chance (which may be a while).

TechManager is now included in the download. The tree should work with 0.25.

I hope I can get around to updating this sometime soon. The next changes I plan on making are fixing support for Interstellar 0.13, and reorganize spaceplane parts now that SpacePlane+ is stock.

Edited by cvod

TechManager is now included in the download. The tree should work with 0.25.

I hope I can get around to updating this sometime soon. The next changes I plan on making are fixing support for Interstellar 0.13, and reorganize spaceplane parts now that SpacePlane+ is stock.

nice to see this being worked on :)

a question. is the "vessel recovery" problem still present in career mod with this new update?

nice to see this being worked on :)

a question. is the "vessel recovery" problem still present in career mod with this new update?

It at least has plans to be worked on. School is not encouraging progress though. If I don't get updates by the end of this month, there will definitely be a big update in December.

I'm curious about this too since I have not really had a chance to play with 0.25 yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.