Your Absolute BADASS Moment in KSP

mangekyou-sama

Landing a perfect suicide burn always feels awesome. Though my best moment so far was sending a single rocket to Duna to land and returning with fuel to spare using only small parts. Kind of a watershed moment on not having to build monsters.

Lost half of a half wing

lost a engine

majority of fuel gone

kilometers from home

he would glide

1/8 engine power

he's close

the runway is near

a kilometer away

the engines die

jeb was not detered

he glided in

Plane landed on the edge (of glory)

rolling, all is destroyed

But jeb would live

undettered from the future.

Well, I was flying my K-15 Jet around the world, when all of a sudden the jet's engine puttered out. Later it was determined that the problem was because of a lack if oxygen. The craft entered into a flat spin. Spinning faster and faster and faster until the pilot managed to ignite the engines. The craft began to stabilize, but it was flying straight down. In the last 1000 meters the K-15 managed to pull up........and flattened out at less than 100 meters. The mission continued until the K-15 crashed in the desert on a landing attempt.

For now, the most badass thing I can remember is the Kraken deciding to pay a visit while flying one of my shuttles down to a landing at KSC.

>Kraken eats starboard wing, said wing crashes into launchpad at lightspeed. How? Because Kraken.

>Manage to pull an F-15 and fly on one wing + fuselage.

>Kraken decides to eat remaining port-side wing, said wing crashes into a KSC fuel tank at lightspeed. Because Kraken.

>Still manage to land the thing with no fatalities. Somehow. i r winrar.

I cannot describe the happiness I felt when the SRBs came off without damaging the wings for the first time...

Zekes I have to chuckle a bit, I've seen you posting that all over the forums so I can tell you are really proud of it, and you should be, that shuttle is absolutely bad***.

I've never successfully built a shuttle like that, but after watching one of Manley's more recent vids I will probably give it a try, but even if I succeed I'm certain it won't be nearly as impressive as yours.

I was launching an enormous unwieldy craft from KSC (for an Eve return mission, to give you some idea of size) with FAR aerodynamics when I pitched too aggressively and lost control due to atmospheric effects at around 22,000 meters.

I quickly killed the engines, the craft did a complete 360 tumble in the upper atmosphere, I fired the engines back up as it came around, and I was able to complete the orbital insertion and finish the mission normally.

Trying to land on Duna, and the decoupler below my lander engine was glitched and wouldn't disconnect from the (nearly empty) transfer stage.

So, I did a low pass by Ike and smashed it against a mountaintop at orbital velocity, getting rid of the now useless transfer stage and exposing my descent stage engine nozzle. (Ok, it took several save/reload attempts to get the altitude just right so that only the desired stuff was destroyed. But it worked!)

Duna landing was successful!

My mission to the mun in career. Landing was fine ,but a good amount of fuel was used up causing a lot of fear of not having enough fuel to return to the mother ship. Then, lifing off the mun ,and reach orbit around the mun with only 1 unit left of fuel in my "PICKLE" lander. Now to pick that with the mothership ,and return home.

What does Jebediah do when his space shuttle is made into ten by FAR?

A Chuck-Norris style ninja EVA leap when 40 m over the sea!

NUFk16r.png

The B9 landing gear survived because it is incredibly tough. Unlike Bill. He wasn't badass enough to jump out.

Edited by InterCity

I have had a thing for doing powered landings at KSC, even after manned planetary missions. I've been trying to recover as much of the vehicle as possible. On at least three occations, the fuel after a manned mission to Duna (or Eve orbit) has run out about a meter above the landing pad resulting in a slightly hard but otherwise ok landing.

I recently attempted landing at the bottom of a deep hole at the south pole of the Mun. I drifted a bit and hit the crater wall where it was angled about 45 degrees. The lander tipped over and made one somersault downhill, somehow without breaking a single part (solar cells, RCS, BTDT sensor - no casualties!). In sheer panic the pilot, Neildrin, hit the SAS and "Z" just as the lander was about to start a second roll. Gained a bit of altitude and composure and managed to level off and hover and complete a successful landing on level ground at the bottom of the crater. Ta-daa!!!

On 0.90, made a rescue Kerbal mission with all facilities at tier 1, and tech level at tier 3 :

- two command pods on a rocket that weight less than 18t (it had something like 4800 m/s in dv)

- no manoeuver nodes!!

Best thing I've ever pulled off in KSP was probably the time I accidentally got too close to Ike and had to perform this suicide burn:

Z9rDNmS.jpg

Somehow, the ship landed flawlessly and I managed to drive it home after getting some samples.

Modified save file, so the biggest asteroid from FASA asteroids pack appeared in Jool's atmosphere stucked at 0 level. In splashed down state. Met it with Interstellar HooliganLabs airship and threw KAS anchor into it.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

If you threw anchor into splashed down, landed or pre-lanch object - your craft will also become "landed". And you can save (it was 0.22-0.23 - no saving while flying in atmosphere yet) and timewarp (it still impossible). In Kerbin's atmosphere throwing anchors (and ordinary landing) to stucked in air asteroid works fine. With savefile editing asteroid (any object) may be at kilometer above ground. In "landed" state. It will not fall.

But in Jool's atmosphere if you use timewarp or quickload while landed on stucked object - your craft will also become stucked (inoperable). And a lot of null reference exceptions will appear.

Edited by SV-ESK

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.