Ever had one of those Kerbin days...

JebNeedsHelp

...where you try something several times, but the only headway you make is, how not to do it next time? Today my Sundiver One, with Macdo Kerman aboard, was trying to get "near the Sun" science and return home. First, carrying enough fuel to get a Sun orbit that close in the first place. Then, got the science done, but my Kerbin rendezvous (7000 m/s delta-v, and then some) used up all my fuel before I got close to Kerbin orbit. Loaded up a different design, tweaked some things, and made it there and back, only to find that this particular craft never had chutes installed. D'oh! Tried again, only to run out of fuel before Kerbin orbit again. So under, "What did I do in KSP today?" all I can say is, I failed miserably.

Has anybody else had one of those days?

...where you try something several times, but the only headway you make is, how not to do it next time?

So under, "What did I do in KSP today?" all I can say is, I failed miserably.

You call that failing?!

Seriously, yes, I do, I usually stop playing for the day and go to bed. :wink:

When I was playing 0.23 career, I decided to run "hard mode", i.e. whatever happens has happened. Then, late at night (both in real world and on Kerbin) I was sending a few rockets around to gather science from Kerbin biomes. And I crashed good half of them, killing number of Kerbals, because I did not see the ground coming in the darkness. That was one of my least successful days in KSP.

I was getting so infuriated so many times when it turned out my lander desn't have lights because I swapped boosters last. And then last stage sepratrons are missing, destroying whole ship. Or that I somehow placed SAS under decoupler leaving my stuff almost immobile on orbit.

KAS really helps me out now. Add a module to interesting part, add container to basic light ship, load container with additional heavy stuff to feel like I'm carrying everything needed to mount it and here goes Jebediah to the rescue! Its quite fun.

Ladders, it's always the ladders I forget, cue 15 minutes of mental micro gravity hopping.

Ion engine on backwards.

And my other classic is usually attaching a final stage engine to a part that doesn't transfer fuel.

Ladders, it's always the ladders I forget, cue 15 minutes of mental micro gravity hopping.

Ion engine on backwards.

And my other classic is usually attaching a final stage engine to a part that doesn't transfer fuel.

Did that last gem yesterday. 8 LV-N s behind decouplers for my station fuel pod.

Use a big cargo spaceplane on a delivery run and get the "rescue Random Kerman" contract at the same time. Put in 1 crew, so theres room for the return passenger.

Plane gets a wing (and rcs controls) chewed off by the kraken, can't make the rendez-vous.

Send the pilot on EVA to meet the lost-in-space kerbal, now they float around in circles together.

Send up another spaceplane, one with lots of passenger space, first trip up.

It doesn't have solar panels, electricity is running out fast. Disable SAS, and use time warp to cancel rotations, to preserve battery.

Get a 5 km encounter, switch over to kerbal to fly it to the plane on RCS pack.

Grabbed the wrong kerbal, it was the spaceplane pilot, contract guy is still out there, now once-more uncontrollable because nothing is in 2.5 km range.

Make manouvers to do another rendez-vous. Bodge it by selecting the wrong targey. I wondered why I had an extremely close flyby of an unrelated spacecraft, untill I looked at the map again.

Tried again, ran out of oxidiser, plane is now dead in space. Thats 2 dead planes, and another rescue mission required.

At least I managed to get the random kerbal down, by sending up a tried and tested design from a few weeks ago, a small 3 stage rocket with a command pod and a stayputnik. So at least he made it down safely, finally.

I tried to land a probe on Eve by engines only back in .21 and slammed it into the ground so hard, that it instantaneously vanished completely in a single boom... i never ever did an Eve landing without parachutes from that day on...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.