[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

Okay cool, I actually went just now to test if they actually can be already and got hit by the hell kraken (I think it's that one) when the kerbal jumped down a few meters off the Honeybadger crew hatch and onto the launchpad XD

And obviously you would have to drain them first, yes.

I put in the latest github dev iteration which fixes the firespitter issues and noticed a really minor (though potentially annoying) problem that I believe only applies to existing craft VAB/SPH templates and those in the field. I noticed that the resource hauler that I already had at my base was short one kontainerfull of rocketparts. Initially I was going to use hyperedit, but I was like 'meh I'll send another unmanned one in'.

So I did, and then noticed some wierd behavior with MechJeb, however, it turned out to be no fault of MJs because after a few times of it behaving strangely like offbalance, so I checked the tanks and I found that one tank was empty. Checked VAB and it was fine in there, so I decided to toggle the two tanks (which were placed symmetrically) and it was fine on launch.

So, pretty much it's just a small annoyance that is fixable by either simply loading the craft in the VAB or you need to toggle the tanks, not sure which one is needed.

Yep, I can do that but it would require draining them first and that patch is now in FireSpitter, but I need to test this.

I re-used the firespitter.dll that you include in a mod of mine. It drained the tank on switching.

Excellent!

FTT needs some love, but at this point it will probably all come out with 1.0 as everything is getting it's series of breaking changes right now, and I need to wait till 1.0 to release all of that.

It's not done yet. First release will be 2.5m switchable resource tanks. But enough about that. ;)

Oh it's a mod that you're making. I misunderstood and thought you meant that it was from one of the mods that you have, but RoverDude made, or something.

First, gotta say I love the USI mods. After my flighty issues with installs were sorted Ive been having a lot of fun with the Ol HoneyBadger lol. I'll post some pics of my Minmus base Im setting up to test out all the MKS stuff asap.

Have requests if possible however. Any way to add: a)Fuel/Karbonite/Water tanks that match? Have used it for a mining rig and itd be nice to have everything match. An all in one with the texture selection youve used would be awesome tbh.

That was all, if its not too much to ask. Thanks for all the work you guys put in. It shows.

First, gotta say I love the USI mods. After my flighty issues with installs were sorted Ive been having a lot of fun with the Ol HoneyBadger lol. I'll post some pics of my Minmus base Im setting up to test out all the MKS stuff asap.

Have requests if possible however. Any way to add: a)Fuel/Karbonite/Water tanks that match? Have used it for a mining rig and itd be nice to have everything match. An all in one with the texture selection youve used would be awesome tbh.

That was all, if its not too much to ask. Thanks for all the work you guys put in. It shows.

iirc the texture and tank type are separate toggles. My honey badger parts all look consistent.

Hi guys. Sorry to bother you but i have quite difficulty to build VTOL badger.

Problem is i think with command pod and back engines. I dont know witch engines i should use for it.

At first i tried math (i took weight of command pod against weigh of four engines + honeybadger engine cowling) and as best solution came engines from KW mod - KW rocketry vesta-VS 1 but it was heavy. So i used stock engines lv-909 LFE but they were too easy. I also tried various combination of those both but without solution.

BTW im using FAR.

IMG of ship:

HoOSVPh.jpg

Hello guys. Sorry to bother you but i would like to ask a queston.

How to properly build a stabile honeybadger VTOL?

I tried it and was unsucsesfull. I think problem is balancing weight of command pod vs. weight of engines + engine cowling.

Be using math i get that the best solution is to use engines from KW mod vesta VR-1 but it was too heavy. So i tried stock engine LV-909 but it was too light.

Then i tried various combinations but without sucsess.

BTW. using FAR mod.

Pic of VTOL freighter:

HoOSVPh.jpg

You can adjust the amount of monoprop or add additional parts to the front or back to balance it out. Sometimes all you need is a pair of strategically placed RTGs to balance the ship. RCSBuildAid is your friend.

Edited by Tarheel1999

RCSBuildAid is your friend.

So much this. it helped balance out a large lander ship which has two sets of engines, one for main propulsion, and the others for landing. That plus TAC fuel balancer, although if the engines aren't balanced, even TAC fuel balancer might not be able to help.

Fuel is balanced under the ship by some pipes and for kerbin lift of i use only electric engines. I will try to add more SAS/RCS and RTG modules and see what will happen TAC fuel balancer is mod? will try to find it and use it.

Thanks for help guys. :-)

Also would be happy to see some good VTOL designs with honeybadger if someone has some.

Fuel is balanced under the ship by some pipes and for kerbin lift of i use only electric engines. I will try to add more SAS/RCS and RTG modules and see what will happen TAC fuel balancer is mod? will try to find it and use it.

Thanks for help guys. :-)

Also would be happy to see some good VTOL designs with honeybadger if someone has some.

I use Throttle Controlled Avionics because balancing and keeping that balance for a VTOL that ferries resources is no longer enjoyable to me. Flying them is challenging enough. FYI you can also adjust the thrust of your engines to make up for any weight difference.

Edit - I also use TAC to keep the fuel/resources balanced.

Edited by Tarheel1999

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.