Last days on Mars

KerikBalm

Anyone seen this film?

Any good KSPer should be disappointed by the end....

The lander goes into a vertical climb, I wasn't clear if this was a programmed flight path, or somehow the result of the fighting and having no pilot... anyway... it climbs, and the engines cut out, it reaches apogee... and ... stops, whereas I was expecting it to plummet back down..

Shortly thereafter, he radios that he's in a stable orbit... wut?

So I guess that was supposed to be a programmed orbital insertion burn, but then he can't rendevous with the mothership (insufficient fuel)? Nothing went wrong with the lander... does that mean the entire mission was doomed from the start because their ascent vehicle wasn't up to the task...

That all said... I did like some of the scenes before the stupidity starts... just the martian landscape shots (even though it often looked too much like Earth, because, well, it was :P )

Something like that happens at the end of "Red Planet."

***SPOILER-FLIPPING-ALERT***

The guy gets on an old martian Russian probe, flies up into space again, and manages rendezvous with the spacecraft already in orbit that got him to Mars. So much wrong in five minutes, nay, the entire movie, it is insane.

No, he explicitely stated he didn't have enough fuel to rendevous... then he stated he had supplies on board (apparently intended to resupply the base, perhaps this added mass was the problem? they have to unload the lander before taking off again?) that might last until a rescue ship could come, but then he said he wasn't sure it was a good idea for them to send a rescue mission, given the high chance of infection.

Then the movie ends before the response comes (speed of light delay and all that)

The guy gets on an old martian Russian probe, flies up into space again, and manages rendezvous with the spacecraft already in orbit that got him to Mars. So much wrong in five minutes, nay, the entire movie, it is insane.

sounds like Apollo 18.... but at the moon, and the spacecraft that saved a astronaut was a LK

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.