[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

Just to be sure, you are launching the ship by pressing the "launch" button in the build list window, not by clicking the launchpad, correct? If not, then that's the problem :) Otherwise that does sound like a bug (and I'll need log files and all that, as mentioned in the first post) It sounds like its the first thing though, cause clicking the launchpad will result in a simulation starting.

It`s a no go. I have 3 rockets in imventory, and all I can do is run simulations,

I thought I had a real mission after a reboot, but I killed the pilot, and after returning to the VAB, he is still there.

I don`t know what to try next .

Correction: I have 4 rockets in inventory...but I cannot select them for use....how do I use them? I am getting frustrated.

Edit #2: mod even claims I have a ship on the pad.... I cannot access it outside a sim tho. Is there a dependency I don`t know of? Shouldn`t this dependency be in the OP? Or included with the mod?

I don't know. I am completely lost. Is there a way to remove the sim portion of the mod?

(Sorry, no output/error logs because according to the game, it is working as intended.)

Edited by Fizwalker

I'll be home in about an hour, so I can try to help then (currently in the middle of a seven hour drive after a 5 hour drive yesterday). Logs are ALWAYS generated when you run the game, check the OP or the stickied thread in the modded support forum to find out where they are for your operating system.

To "select" a craft to launch (or do anything else with) open the build list in the space center scene, go to the VAB tab then press the launch button. There's a bunch of other options available if you press the * button, but those are for more advanced options.

Simulations should only be started if you click on the launchpad and use the stock ship selector, or you select "simulate" in the editor. You CANNOT launch ships like you would in the stock game. The "launch" button in the editor is overwritten and the method of clicking on the launchpad will always result in a simulation (since I can't overwrite that window).

The simulations are an integral part of the mod, and so can't be removed. There are no dependencies on other mods (though there's support for several)

Also, reverting to the editor will always bring people back to life, if that's what you meant.

I would suggest watching either of the videos in the OP if you're still having trouble.

Edited by magico13

As listed in the OP, if on windows a the log is in KSP_Data. On other systems you'll have to read the info in the OP

- - - Updated - - -

However on navigating back to the VAB and clicking on the parts menu in KCT and then clicking on the propulsion menu non of hte SRB or liquid fuel tanks or LVT-30 show.

No hurry I know its holiday time.

Look on the bright side ..at least we don't have to time warp for recovery operations... or BP's for recovery crews oh dear.. hope i didn't give you an idea?

Hmm, I see the SR recovery events working just fine, but since I forgot to ask you to turn on debug messages I don't see any output from KCT regarding putting things in the inventory. You aren't getting anything added to the inventory, correct? Can you send me your save file? That'll show if anything is actually in there but for some reason is not appearing.

Thanks for waiting, I've been travelling for the past two days (and have been away from home for two weeks), so it's been a hectic time.

As for waiting for recovery, that was actually a feature I was working on for the last release that got pushed back because of 0.90. It'll be in in a future update, but probably not when scrapping the recovered vessel ;)

OK I replayed the mission twice in game.. not in simulation.

Changed the rocket ... added 4 fins so it has six fins ... just to test if I'm getting all the parts back... and as shown in this screen shot from the mission when I look in the parts catalogs I have six fins and also the decouplers and pods etc. Just missing propulsion and tanks (as shown screenshot30.png"]here).

screenshot23.png"]This shot shows half of the SRB sets being recovered through SR. Note the three fins and the RT-10.

I placed all the mission screen shots.. here I took many at different stages.. mostly in menu's. I stuffed up the mission and the second stage came down with the pod near-by this time. I had to change view to the debris and salvage this way. It did return the parts including the liquid motor and tanks for their cost.

I was running the debug mode this time ... screenshot17.png"]KCT settings screen shot.

screenshot21.png"]This shot shows the second stage below the descending pod initiating it's chutes and the chutes have a bug which has returned that makes the chutes different sizes. This might be something else wrong which could be affecting the KCT. When I try a binary I will start with RC.

I have placed the log file and my save file on drop box. ... here also there is the persistent file and the craft file of the ship used and the autosave file... just trying to cover the bases.

There was an error directory created yesterday and I'm including it here but I think it may not be related. Sorry can't share folders inside public folder in drop box .. so contains three files being output log error log report.ini

I haven't started a binary error find as suggested in the OP yet.

So anyways... those particular parts in propulsion are just not making it home. Really odd.

Hope this is much much more helpful than I was before.

EDIT: Just noticed some funny numbers with the real chutes in stores... see screenshot18.png"]here .. could this be the problem?

Edited by Mars Mullo

when I look in the parts catalogs I have six fins and also the decouplers and pods etc. Just missing propulsion and tanks

The issue is going to seem really obvious and silly. There isn't a "Propulsion" category anymore in 0.90, it was split into "Fuel Tanks" and "Engines", so nothing in those categories will appear in the inventory, but should still work properly. It should be a pretty simple fix on my side (just add those categories), so I apologize for all the trouble you had to go through.

The thing with RealChutes is because they are procedural, so they get treated as procedural parts and have a very different "quantity" based on 1000 times their cost.

That crash that produced the error directory was an out of memory error, btw. You may want to invest in Active Texture Management if you don't already have it :)

DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!

Edited by magico13

Oh sweet.

Well that's so cool you could figure those things out. I will invest in texture manager or maybe rethink what mods I need.

No need to appologise ... if we don't talk to you you might not find these things till later.

Thank you magico13

have an awesome holiday period.

Is there any reason that KCT may cause an unlocked tech tree node to revert to being locked without simulations being involved?

I started a thread here To try to figure out what's causing my issue. I suspect KCT due to it altering the way tech nodes are unlocked. Kerbonomics is also raising an eyebrow or two, but I don't see how that would affect tech nodes.

Is there any reason that KCT may cause an unlocked tech tree node to revert to being locked without simulations being involved?

I started a thread here To try to figure out what's causing my issue. I suspect KCT due to it altering the way tech nodes are unlocked. Kerbonomics is also raising an eyebrow or two, but I don't see how that would affect tech nodes.

If you have KCT installed, and you unlock a node, it isn't really "unlocked" until it is researched. Depending on your settings, and whether you put upgrade points into research, that may take hours or days of Kerbal time before the unlocked node is usable.

I can't think of anything that would cause that issue if it was fully unlocked, but I'll take a look later tonight. Make sure you uploaded the output_log.text file and not the KSP.log, cause the KSP.log doesn't provide any useful info.

There's no crash, and therefore no output_log.

Edit: Seems Squad buries the output_log.txt in a different folder than the ksp.log. I found it and have uploaded it here.

Edited by Einarr
Found the output_log.txt after all.

As I have determined that KCT is causing my issue, I'm bringing the discussion back here.

In this video, I load up my career save, check the R&D Center to show that I've unlocked the Science Tech node, then go check the KCT window back at the Space Center. I find that KCT is researching Science Tech, so go back to the R&D Center to see if the node has reverted, which it has. I then go back to the Space Center to check the KCT windows some more, find that I have -4 upgrades, and that it is not showing the upgrades I have applied. I then switch to the VAB and back to the Space Center in an attempt to get KCT to load my upgrades, which it does, showing -19 available upgrades. I then proceed to show that warping to completion of the research, then loading a vessel in the VAB starts the loop over again, at least, with regard to the research. Also, YouTube refuses to use the thumbnail I selected. :huh:

I suspect that the KCT portion of my persistence file may have become corrupt due to some negative numbers I'm seeing in the upgrades screen. The relevant portion can be found below:

SCENARIO
{
name = KerbalConstructionTimeData
scene = 7, 5, 6, 8
KCT_DataStorage
{
enabledForSave = True
RecoveryModifier = 0.75
NoCostSimulations = False
DisableBuildTime = False
InstantTechUnlock = False
EnableAllBodies = False
Reconditioning = True
fundsFromSimulation = 0
firstStart = False
TotalUpgradePoints = 20
TechUpgrades = 4
activeKSC = Stock
VABUpgrades
{
Item = 0
}
SPHUpgrades
{
Item = 0
}
RDUpgrades
{
Item = 0
Item = 0
}
PurchasedUpgrades
{
Item = 0
Item = 0
}
BodiesVisited
{
Item = Kerbin
}
PartTracker
{
Item = SR.NoseCone
Item = 2
Item = SR.Payload04
Item = 1
Item = SR.Rocket01
Item = 2
Item = SR.Rocket02
Item = 2
Item = SR.Wing03
Item = 3
Item = SR.Wing02
Item = 2
Item = SR.LaunchStick
Item = 2
Item = SR.Payload02
Item = 1
Item = FASAMercuryPod
Item = 4
Item = FASAMercuryDec
Item = 3
Item = FASA.Mercury.Eng
Item = 3
Item = FASAGeminiDecDark125
Item = 1
Item = FASA.Mercury.Parachute.Box
Item = 4
Item = FASAMercruyCap2
Item = 4
Item = FASA.Mercury.LFT.Long
Item = 4
Item = FASA.Mercury.Redstone.Eng
Item = 2
Item = FASAMercuryRedstoneFin
Item = 2
Item = FASAlaunchClamp125
Item = 3
Item = FASAMercuryPodRCS
Item = 3
Item = proceduralStackDecoupler
Item = 3
Item = proceduralTankLiquid
Item = 3
Item = liquidEngine3
Item = 3
Item = liquidEngine
Item = 1
Item = FASAMercuryAtlasVernierEngine
Item = 2
Item = winglet
Item = 2
Item = GooExperiment
Item = 1
Item = FASAProbeGeigerCounter
Item = 1
Item = FASAMercuryAtlasEngBooster
Item = 1
}
PartInventory
{
Item = SR.Payload04
Item = 1
Item = SR.NoseCone
Item = 1
Item = SR.Payload02
Item = 1
Item = FASAMercuryPodRCS
Item = 8
Item = FASA.Mercury.Redstone.Eng
Item = 1
Item = FASAMercuryRedstoneFin
Item = 4
Item = FASAlaunchClamp125
Item = 1
Item = FASAMercuryPod
Item = 1
Item = FASA.Mercury.Parachute.Box
Item = 1
Item = GooExperiment
Item = 3
Item = FASAProbeGeigerCounter
Item = 1
}
}
KSC
{
KSCName = Stock
VABUpgrades
{
Upgrade = 11
}
SPHUpgrades
{
Upgrade = 0
}
RDUpgrades
{
Upgrade = 4
Upgrade = 4
}
VABList
{
}
SPHList
{
}
VABWarehouse
{
}
SPHWarehouse
{
}
Recon_Rollout
{
}
}
TechList
{
Tech
{
techName = Science Tech
techID = scienceTech
scienceCost = 45
progress = 0.00700740741393364
ProtoNode
{
id = scienceTech
state = Unavailable
}
}
}
}

Edited by Einarr

Your save file looks fine to me. The negatives are because the "remaining points" are calculated by taking the total points and subtracting the total spent. For some reason the total upgrades were being reported as 0, but are clearly saved as 20 in the save file. I guess now we have the fun job of narrowing things down.

Firstly, enable "Debug Messages" in the KCT settings so future logs include far more KCT specific messages. The behavior is similar to the persistence not loading properly, but is unlike anything I've seen before. If you're willing to do some more testing, I've got a couple tests I'd like you to run. Please send me logs after each test.

First, try enabling the Instant Tech Unlock setting. It's possible the tech unlock code is having an issue somehow.

Second, try with only KCT installed. I'm worried another mod is causing issues with the persistence saving/loading (Especially Kerbanomics, it did log an issue with the persistence once in the log you posted previously).

At some point, especially with only KCT installed, could you try with a new save? It could be a save specific issue.

The latest version has some code that disables any tech that's being researched on scene load, but it shouldn't be doing anything after the tech has finished.

Apologies if this has already been suggested, I've only read the start and end of the thread:

I'm really enjoying having to manage which ships to build in what order, but I'm finding it a real chore to have to go into the VAB to queue up a new vessel. Would it be possible to get a build option from either the launchpad (i.e., override the launch button like the one in the editor so it gives you the choice to build or simulate) or add a way to add a vessel picking from the list of saved vessels?

Since KSP seems to have some issues with doing lots of scene changes, i'm trying to minimize doing that, and going to the editor when I just want to build a known design that I don't have any spares of seems needlessly convoluted.

Apologies if this has already been suggested, I've only read the start and end of the thread:

I'm really enjoying having to manage which ships to build in what order, but I'm finding it a real chore to have to go into the VAB to queue up a new vessel. Would it be possible to get a build option from either the launchpad (i.e., override the launch button like the one in the editor so it gives you the choice to build or simulate) or add a way to add a vessel picking from the list of saved vessels?

Since KSP seems to have some issues with doing lots of scene changes, i'm trying to minimize doing that, and going to the editor when I just want to build a known design that I don't have any spares of seems needlessly convoluted.

I've got that idea toward the end of my todo list (clicking the launchpad/runway to let you simulate or build any saved ships), but it's pretty far down the list. I have yet to find a way to override what clicking the pad does, but I can tell when the stock window has appeared. In the mean time, if you want to build another version of a craft you already are building/have built, click the * button and then press "duplicate". That should add a copy of it to the build list, which might help a little.

Thanks, good to know it's on the list.

I'm using Duplicate pretty heavily, to the point where I tend to keep a copy of the things I use most just to have one to duplicate from, but obviously sometimes there just isn't one :)

Try without Kerbanomics. I keep seeing this error pop up and it worries me that it's messing up the persistence loading. It seems to be preventing KCT from loading the save. Btw, I only need the output_log.txt file, and while the videos are certainly helpful, you don't need to make them if it's an extra hassle :)

FormatException: Input string was not in the correct format
at System.Int32.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Kerbanomics.KerbanomicsMain.LoadData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Kerbanomics.KerbanomicsScenario.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScenarioModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScenarioRunner.AddModule (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ProtoScenarioModule.Load (.ScenarioRunner host) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScenarioRunner+ .MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edit: I can't see which version of mods you're using for some reason (If ModuleManager 2.5.6 removed that feature I am going to be sad), but make sure you've got version 0.1.6 of Kerbanomics. That one apparently fixed an issue that may be related to this, if you're not on that version.

Edited by magico13

Thoughts on balance.

- Once I get the VAB slot #1 rate up to about 2.0-2.5, I'm happy. But it takes a long time to get there with the 0.05 stepping. Starting slot #1 in the SPH/VAB at 0.50 or 0.75 would probably be a better starting point. Or maybe the slot #1 stepping needs to be 0.10 instead of 0.05.

- For the Launchpad refurb, a value of 75 tons in that field is feeling about right. Big 300-350t launches require about 2-3 days of refurb, which is about right.

- Taking 5-6 days to unlock a 300 tech node feels about right.

- Cost of buying points is a bit punishing with it increasing at (N^2.0), an exponent of 1.3 or 1.5 might be better.

- Simulation costs don't seem to scale up as fast as I expect. Building a 150k cost launcher is only about 500-650 in funds to simulate when a value of 4x or 8x that would feel closer to reality. On the flip side a 15k launcher simulation costing only 100-150 is reasonable.

Feature request - the up/down arrows in the construction list should be moved to the first columns, away from the '*' button. The reason for this is that the rocket names are along the left edge of each line and when trying to re-arrange, I have to scan the entire line to figure out which line to move.

Feature request - add a "move to top" option in the '*' menu in the construction queue.

Currently using 1.5 of Kerbonomics, apparently it does not have a .version so it's difficult to keep track. I'll update Kerbonomics and test again. If there's no change, I'll remove it.

Edit: After updating, the issue was not resolved. New log, just incase anything changed...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/46igw805swvwm6m/output_log.zip?dl=0

Edit 2: Removing Kerbonomics seems to have resolved the issue. However, when I loaded my persistence (the one I've been using for all this testing that has had no changes made to it), I noted that KCT indicated that Science Tech was being researched, I then checked R&D and saw it was unlocked, with all parts and so on also unlocked. After returning to the Space Center, then the R&D, the node was, once again, locked. I then proceeded to let KCT do the research time thing, and once the node was unlocked, I checked in the VAB to ensure that loading vessels would not revert the node. Such action no longer does. All seems to be working properly now.

New log here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpndnvylfrsz6u5/output_log.txt?dl=0

My suggestion is to see about working with the author of Kerbonomics to resolve this incompatibility.

Edited by Einarr

My suggestion is to see about working with the author of Kerbonomics to resolve this incompatibility.

When I get home from work I'll take a better look at those files. In the mean time, can you send me the full save file? The issue isn't an incompatibility, it's that Kerbanomics is having an error that breaks all other mods that try to read the persistence after it, which is much larger than just KCT. The error specifically states it's with trying to parse a string into an integer, but looking at the latest code it shouldn't be happening anymore.

@WuphonsReach Those suggestions can be easily done and make sense to have, so I will try to get them done for the next release. Thank you for your thoughts on balance. I should point out that if you open up the KCT_Formulas.cfg file you can edit the formulas used for buying upgrade points. It is supposed to be difficult/expensive to get high build rates (>1.5-2.0). I personally only ever get my VAB rate to 1.5 and my SPH to 1.0, then start putting points into a second VAB rate. A small increase to the initial rate might happen, but I'm also planning on changing that system pretty soon anyway.

The real kicker for simulation costs isn't launches from Kerbin, it's launches in orbit, especially in orbit around different planets. However, a 50k ship should cost twice as much to simulate as a 25k ship (If I'm remembering the formula correctly), so a 150k launcher should be costing 10 times as much as 15k one.

Just to pitch in on the tech node lock/unlock bug, I have seen this bug VERY rarely, when using KCT, and without Kerbonomics. It's very rare, and most times the game sorts itself out after a restart, but I have lost games to it. I have used Kerbonomics now for a while, and have not seen this bug pop up. So I can confirm that it does happen without Kerbonomics, but I just recently had to do a clean wipe because of another mod conflict, so I have no logs remaining from that time.