[Abandoned] CxAerospace: Aeroshells and Lander Chassis (Source Files Released)

cxg2827

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've got an eye one it. Will try and pick up after next KF release is out. It's a good fit with the rover bodies, rollcages and structural parts I've got planned..

I was considering getting back to this sometime in the winter after I finish my station parts pack now that I'm much more comfortable with UV unwrapping and texturing. But the biggest issue that still would be holding me back is to get the aeroshells to work and have a stable re-entry for both stock and FAR. The lander frame is dependent on the aeroshells, so I'd want to get those functioning properly before work was continued on the lander parts.

One thing I considered was to deviate from the proposed DRA, and have some deployable stabilizer fins at the rear (similar to the GBU-12 smartbombs).

My kid will be crawling around that time, so I'm sure I'll have even less free time than now to work on it, so I'm not making any promises, but I figured I'd bring up the issue of the aeroshell so anyone who plans to continue this mod is aware of the dependency. Wouldn't want someone to spends lots of hours on the lander parts just to be held back by an unstable aeroshell that tumbles when it hits the thicker layer of atmosphere during aero-capture and re-entry.

I was considering getting back to this sometime in the winter after I finish my station parts pack now that I'm much more comfortable with UV unwrapping and texturing. But the biggest issue that still would be holding me back is to get the aeroshells to work and have a stable re-entry for both stock and FAR. The lander frame is dependent on the aeroshells, so I'd want to get those functioning properly before work was continued on the lander parts.

One thing I considered was to deviate from the proposed DRA, and have some deployable stabilizer fins at the rear (similar to the GBU-12 smartbombs).

My kid will be crawling around that time, so I'm sure I'll have even less free time than now to work on it, so I'm not making any promises, but I figured I'd bring up the issue of the aeroshell so anyone who plans to continue this mod is aware of the dependency. Wouldn't want someone to spends lots of hours on the lander parts just to be held back by an unstable aeroshell that tumbles when it hits the thicker layer of atmosphere during aero-capture and re-entry.

I did notice that the aerosheel acted weird even when in space. The two clamshells don't stay together and cause the ship to tumble.

Depending on which DRA you're talking about, it's not a deviation. Also, a lot of those are artist conceptions where they may have omitted planned body flaps and stabilizers. Not sure WHERE those body flaps would be unless they are curved and fitted to the bottom of the aeroshell. In fact I think that's the only way that would work. But there are documents out there that do depict body flaps on the aeroshell landers. (fins would be retractable... probably)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

Are there any remaining files?

Sure, it's abandoned. But, I might be able to make it work.

AFAIK, if you look at the top of the OP, all source files have been released :) 

Holy Necro-oli

17 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

Are there any remaining files?

Sure, it's abandoned. But, I might be able to make it work.

drobox files were deleted a while ago to free up space. I got them on my external but I'm no longer releasing the source files.